Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Pontiac project.....I might need some help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryguy442, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Hey guys, sorry it's been so long since I posted iv been busy doing side work to try to find this car. Hopefully I'll be ordering some parts soon and I'll get back to work!

2. Pharouh

Pharouh

Got to love old Pontiacs! Keep it up!

3. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

Don't hesitate to "Talk" to your Dad, my mentor has walked me thru things by just saying them as thinking out loud, it sounds crazy but works for me.....he listens real well and no arguements <grin> I always wanted to see a '60 Poncho with '59 caddy taillight lenses, skirts and continental kit......different direction than your car but some of us are of different strokes. BTW, good deal on finding a manual trans car!!

4. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Yeah my dad still walks me thru things too. Sometimes things just fall into place. But the main thing is, when I'm working on something and fell like I'm getting over my head I just tell myself that I am my fathers son. He could fix anything and it's in my blood too.

I have a rat rod with 59 caddy tail lights and when I got this car I took one off and mocked it up on there they seem to fit perfectly but it wouldn't look good with the direction this car is headed, this car originally wasnt a 4 speed car someone swapped it years ago, but it's one of the main reasons I bought it, that and is has a lumpy cam. Gotta love it!

5. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Sorry for the loss of your Dad. We are all on this earth for just a short amount of time and what makes the difference is what we leave behind. From the sounds of it your Pop did a very good job in raising a good, respectful Son who loves his Dad a lot. That is what really counts.

As dumb as it sounds, I am one of the people who firmly believe our loved ones still stick around after death and you will see subtle signs that he leaves you that he is still helping you in the garage.

Nice Poncho BTW. :)

Don

6. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Thanks for the kind words don. Iv learned alot from what iv been thru in the last 6 months, I learned I need to live life wild I'm here. Matter of fact I when skydiving last weekend for my 27th birthday. It was my dads idea to surprise me with it this year, so my mom and friend surprised me instead. It was amazing! Also iv been tring to start my own restoration shop "RJR restoration"

7. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

^^^^^^^i believe the same thing,^^^^^^^^;)
    well anyway damn nice poncho,my dad had a triple black 59 2dr W/a 4 speed & 3 deuces,i've been looking for a 59-60 for years,they seem to have found popularity the last few years,good luck with your build !
    & listen-- the ole man will guide ya ,:rolleyes:

8. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

I see your working in the driveway. Whats in the garage?

9. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

and gawd sakes get some jack stands!!please.

Attached Files:

10. Great project....I LOVE 59-60 Pontiacs.........they make fine parts-cars for 55-57 Pontiacs!
    Just yankin ya around a little. I'd love to sport around in a 60 Ventura but my garage is just too small for a big car.
    I don't know how many 59-60 389 engines I've built for my earlier 55-57 pontiacs but they have the potential to run with the chevies and mopars and if set up right, come out on top a good percentage of the time.
    Keep the compression up, use good heads, performance cam, headers and premium fuel..try to keep the body/chassis as light as possible and use air bags on the rear to "tune" your launch and you'll seldom have to make excuses to any ford/chev/mopar/AMC cars of similar power.
    And it's a PONTIAC!
    PS...hope the 8.8 holds up as well as the old stock 9.2" rearends did...PM me if you need any help regarding parts interchanges and the like.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  11. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Jack stands?? What are those? Haha nah that lift has a very sturdy lock on it, it can't go anywhere. I learned the hard way bout jack stands when a 69 Torino fell on my hand and crushed my finger pretty good.

12. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

As far as why it's not in the garage, I got a few reason. One is that we own 6 acres and this thing takes up around a third of it! It's huge! Haha. Another reason is one side of my garage has my chopper and my welders and other tools in it, the other side has a very important car to me in it
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1319466456.115844.jpg
    Rocky your killing me taking that motor of that beautiful 2 door! Looks like it went to a great cause
    Haha

13. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

You guys are making me motivated to work on this thing again I need to order some parts to make a panhard bar

14. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Does anyone know if springs out of an impala work on a Pontiac? I would like to use lowering springs on this car instead of the cut ones. I know the frames are about the same but Pontiac had the wide track

15. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Finally got some money up to order parts. I just got my panhard bar. I'm thinking about changing out the coil overs all together in the rear.the ones under it now are just a 150lbs spring and the car pretty much crushes them. I'm thinking going with some Carrera 450lbs coil overs from speedway. I don't know much about this kinda thing so any info you guys might have will help. Thanks

16. D'Monsta

D'Monsta

I say just us the ones you've cut down already. No need to go tossing money out the window when you have a parts car to kick in on! They'll be fine and they'll drop even further when you put the front bumper back on.. I'm going to do the same to my wagon.

[​IMG]

Here's a video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hASxfMc4zXU

The guy with the parts car in NC is firm on his price for now but I spoke to another guy in VA that has another '60 4dr sedan parts car for cheeep.. I am trying to get him to send some better photos... No word from the hyway patrol car guy and the guy that wants the AC stuff can't pay up front so it looks like it's just me and you on this parts car deal.. After we get one we can split the proceeds from the left over parts and who knows? We may end up getting what we needed for free after all's said and done...

Let me know what you think..

Here's my wagon thread on the PY board..

http://forums.performanceyears.com/forums/showthread.php?t=680689

If you're not a member on that site you should be.. Lots of great guys with plenty of Pontiac knowledge..

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  17. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Ever get that engine to do more then spin? I'm not sure what I'm going to do up front yet with this thing. might try something iv never done before. Either way I go to do something with the back end first. The wagon doesn't look too bad, atleast it's all there. There is a junk yard called Richards in Denton 336 857 2222. If you can get ahold of him he had a 4 door Ventura a few years ago. Last I heard its still there.

18. D'Monsta

D'Monsta

OK, I called him.. He said he'd check on the car Thursday and to call him Friday about it.

The wagon's engine is pretty gunked up inside and some of the rockers are FUBAR so I have some work to do before she'll pop over..

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  19. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Damn that was quick. Keep me updated on all that. The car was there about two years ago I wouldn't think it's been crushed. I also remember a guy selling parts on eBay a few years ago. I think he was in mt airy but he had 3 or four 60s in his yard. Man it would be nice to find him.

20. D'Monsta

D'Monsta

Gotta get the jump on stuff.. I've been beat out by seconds on some really cool stuff... As a matter of fact, yesterday I saw a boat I wanted on the CL in Charlotte.. I should have called last night but I waited until today and it's gone already..

It would be great if he has the Ventura and the door, bumpers and trunk lid are decent.. We'll see.. Still have a 4 dr sedan one in VA that's possible.. The Star Chief in SC has a good trunk lid but it's too long for your car.

21. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

You should do a build page in your wagon.

22. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Working on the old boat today! Here's what I'm going to try to do today
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1321721188.484113.jpg
    Time to update this old tired master cylinder
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1321721343.771374.jpg
    All my new parts, nice and shiny (not too shiny) might have a hard time putting this all together never don't much like this before.
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1321721763.570884.jpg
    I do have my helper today.

23. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Well here we are so far.... Hope I did everything right. No major modifications were needed on this, just shortening some bolts. Now to figure out how to but the proportioning valve together ImageUploadedByTJJ1321734200.208969.jpg

24. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Well did some work today.

Here is my new pile of parts ImageUploadedByTJJ1322439466.788079.jpg

First thing I wanted to do was box in the bracket for the panhard bar. This car will see some abuse so this best to make it tough as I can. Forgot to take a before pic. Here's a pic I the weld before it was ground down, gotta live how little needs to ground down with a tig. ImageUploadedByTJJ1322439551.596272.jpg
    Here it is all cleaned up
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1322439611.982075.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1322439668.588233.jpg
    The panhard bar was too long so I had to shorten it. I wanted to just cut it and re-tap the end but I wasn't able to find a tap for it. But I did have metal and my welder.
    Kinda weird to cut a brand new part in half
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1322439733.470897.jpg
    Added in a solid slug in the middle to keep everything strong
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1322439790.905458.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1322440126.169047.jpg
    And here it is all finished up, 2 1/2 inches shorter. More to come!

Ryan

Attached Files:

25. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

So not alot of comments on here lately but I'll keep updated. Friday I got all the rear suspension mocked up. This morning a started with making and boxing the upper coil over mounts. Here they are all welded before grinding
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1323036701.279448.jpg
    And here they all cleaned up and ready to be welded to the frame
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1323036755.218672.jpg

26. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Didn't take alot of pics today, just focused on working on this thing I guess. Got the lower coil over mount welded to the rear end and the mount for the panhard bar. Here it is all Under the car with the weight back on it.
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1323037352.699455.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1323037396.116894.jpg
    Here's the new ride height, I'm really happy with it. Got suspension movement, unlike with the old coil overs. The big O tires fit and have clearance, which is a surprise.
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1323037595.328003.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1323037595.328003.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1323037647.432358.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1323037687.296653.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1323037738.724858.jpg
    I still wanna lower the front another inch and run alittle smaller tire. What you guys think??

Ryan

27. D'Monsta

D'Monsta

Did you convert to disc brakes?
    If you still have drums you don't need a proportioning valve..

28. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

Wow that's a big old Poncho. That will be a blast to drive down the strip with. Good luck with the build and keep up the great work on that car, and with your Dad's Cutlass. You're doing him proud, I'm sure!

29. D'Monsta

D'Monsta

I don't know if you have considered a color scheme but here's a nice one..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Yeah the rear is already converted to disc that came with the 8.8, the front will be one of my next things to do, they will have 12" rotors off a 77 wagon, and gto calipers. As far as paint goes my plan now is satin black with gloss black bumpers, I saw a 60 Chevy like that over the fall. Dad liked the look the primer gave it. But I'm still kicking some ideas around.

Ryan