Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Rust Ranch!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The_DropOut, Apr 1, 2008.

1. elwood blues

elwood blues

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Nah!! It's more exciting to just do it... The rain in the mountain pass at night with funky wipers stuff, I mean! The pass word is RAIN-X! Seriously though, if you find a good electric substitute for the wiper motor, let us know.
    Just walked in the house after finally tightening up all of the brake lines on the girl's wagon. Did a Maverick dual master and Scarebird discs on the front to lessen the chances of this rig becoming a trunk ornament for a Honda... Gotta be mindful of who will be driving! I did mention she's Asian, right? And, she once proudly informed me that she is a great driver as long as she is going forward...

3. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

wow great job on the ranchero , the engine sounded pretty good in the video , i liked the before and after pics of the engine what a difference , should be a blast to drive

4. big M

big M

You actually have two distinctly different climates in Oregon. The coastal region gets Lots of rainfall, while the eastern side of the state is high desert with sparse rain. I always try to haul cars from the eastern side, as they don't have nearly the amount of rust issues.

---John

5. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

Elwood, that stuff is CRAZY! Who'd think you could pour choclalte, syrup or gear oil all over cloth and it just rolls off. Amazing. I wonder how much that stuff costs. Where do you get it?

6. elwood blues

elwood blues

I don't quite know yet. One of my professors showed this video to me and he is trying to get the info after I said that it would be great to use on a custom car with no wipers (hes a gearhead too).

7. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

FLUSH YOUR RADIATOR.

My old radiator was toast, so I purchased a great core from Mr Model T. I took his old radiator down to a local rebuilder (Portland Oregon MAC'S). I have had radiators rebuilt before and have never had a problem with them.

Two weeks ago things started getting cold so I went around to all of my vehicles and did the antifreeze test, to ensure my motors were well protected. When I got to the Ranchero I was suprised that I could not see the red pointer arrow in the test tool. The coolant was very dirty.

It should have looked like lime koolaid. Something was very wrong. I dumped my coolant and took a sample of it.

[​IMG]
    {The bad coolant is in the mason jar, but I think you can figure that out for yourself.}

[​IMG]

{I filtered some of this fluid through a coffee filter and let it dry out. This is the fine dirt that was suspended in the coolant.}

I filled the motor back up with water and ran it for a while. I dumped the water for a second time and was suprised at the grey color. You wouldnt be able to see a penny at the bottom of the bucket and it was only 12" deep. So I decided to remove the radiator.

I filled the radiator part way up with water than shook it around. I dumped the water in a white bucket and repeated several times. I then strained the water through a coffee filter. This is what I trapped.

[​IMG]

{Yucky junk, felt like wet dirt}

I decided that I'd better purge my brand new motor of any loose dirt before it could settle in. So I purhcased a cooling system flush kit. I was suprised how much crud was in there.

I am assuming that my motor was spotless, because it was a fresh rebuild. I think the radiator was the bad guy.

Next time I get a radiator rebuilt I'm going to make sure that they tank it and flush it. Othewise I'm not paying them squat. I wasted two weekends trying to clean out my new motor and it could have cost me big. I'm also going to run water through the radiator sever times before I install it. Better safe than sorry.

Other than that. I've been driving the Ranchero around slowly building up the miles. It sure is going to great to have this machine up and running for the spring / summer. Finally.

My friend and I are going to install the weather stripping next. My heater cant compete with all the cold wind rushing into the cab. And when its in the upper 30's it gets pretty cold in there. hahahah.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  8. 49F1Jeff

49F1Jeff
    from Oregon

:confused: What did they do for the money you spent?
    Seems like the radiator company would tank it and flush it as part of the rebuild process unless their "rebuild" consists of some 15 year old kid spray painting it in the alley. Maybe you should put all the crap you cleaned out in a ziploc bag and take it to them to see what they have to say.

By the way, I just read your whole thread and I am impressed with all you have done. Oh, and those headers are the most amazing I have seen. Very nice! :cool:

9. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

Ahhhh! Thats where I went wrong ... I did ask for the 15yo alley job. The price was low because they leave the radiators out back. Late at night the local gang members tag the radiators with their own paint. My radiator came back orange and blue with the word "NADS" sprayed on the front. heheheh

Thanks 49F1. The headers were purchased from Classic Inlines .com. They were recomended by "The Ford Falcon six cylinder performance handbook" written by David & Dennis Schjeldahl. If you're into small Ford Inlines of the Falcon era, this is the book you need.

Your idea is good, but I really dont want to waste anyones time. I hope that my info posted here will help others avoid this oversight. That is why I love this forum. The info shared on the HAMBis usually spot on and very helpfull.

Glad you like the thread. I'll keep adding as the story marches on.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  10. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

UPDATE: First post for 2012.

This weekend was a major sucess! I, with a good friends help, put weather stripping onto the Ranch! This is the first time its had it in the 4 years I've owned it. Sure a smart guy might want to do this first to protect all the hard floor board work...but I learn best doing things the hard way.

Besides this car has been in the garage or carport for most of thoes 4 years. Now its time to play.

ALSO...I built some kick ass vintage speaker boxes for my machine.

[​IMG]

I dont have any photos of this build. But I used poplar wood, nails and lots of wood glue. I'm not a wood guy so for me this is equal to Norm Abram building a spiral stair case.

The fabric I used to cover the speakers had to look vintage. I wanted that loose woven style with hints of gold thread.

[​IMG]

I went to my local fabric depot and hunted around for some time. Soon I came across this outdoor material which is inteded to be used on outdoor furnature. It is woven, breathable and very strong. This photo does not really show the gold, but it has it. Best of all this stuff is UV proof and wont fray. The threads are actually plastic which have been bonded with some kind of heat process. I tried like hell to pull threads loose at the edge, NO GO. this stuff is great.

Here is the final photo

[​IMG]

I mounted these just below the rear package tray. I had little choice actually. But the boxes sound good with the small speakers I have. And even when the seat is back, you can still see the top edge of the logo and fabric. Looks killer.

Now taking orders for home made Hi-Fi Brand speaker boxes. Your Guarantee to never be square, level and to stain anything that touch them. hahahaha.

Next on the agenda. Scallops and Interior details. Cant wait!

Take care folks, thanks for the great replys so far.

11. The_Monster

The_Monster

well those speakers look killer and the fabric is as true to "period correct" as you could of found. Nice job!!

12. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

SCALLOPS!

This is my temp, hold me over, paint job. The cars not ready for real paint yet, so why not have some scallops!

[​IMG]

After pulling some lines for these scallops I decided that I didnt like how thin they looked. From five feet away the seemed to vanish.

[​IMG]

I re-striped them, adding some extra thickness to the line. The sun went down so these shots are from an odd angle, but give you an idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think they look good. This is the first real pin stripe job I've ever done on my car. Lying down on the cold garage floor trying pull striaght lines is not the way to learn how to stripe a car for the first time.

Next up is the interior. Time to fix the broken seat springs on the drivers side. I like sitting low in the car but right now it is like sitting on a toilet with the lid up! :D

13. The_Monster

The_Monster

hahaaha! well the scallops look real good!!

14. von zipper

von zipper

I like em! and the speakers!

15. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

Thanks Monster and Von Zipper.

SEAT SPRINGS _ _

We I tore my seats out this morning. I ripped the nasty seat cover off. Looked the foam and stuffing over and then got down to the springs.

The cover and foam were gonners long long ago. The seat springs were a mixed bag. Three springs were broken in two spots each. I found some old steel brake line and made some sleves. Then welded the springs back together. All the bad seat springs were on the drivers side. So I swapped the repaired springs with the good center springs. I have a Hurst floor shift in my car so no one will want to sit there when they see my elbow flyin arround.

[​IMG]

Here is the one good close up I got.

[​IMG]

The actual foam is nasty, but complete. This will act as a template for my new seat foam. I studdied the way the seat stuffing was put on and I think I can come up with something that will work the same.

More photos when I put the skins back on this skeleton.

16. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Nah, you can still put a girl in the middle of the seat... And, extra bonus, with the weak springs in the center, if she's a bit "larger", she'll sink in a bit and feel and look smaller! I call that a win, win, win!

17. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

Hahaha, now you're thinkin'!

18. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

Latest report. The windshield was leaking like it wasnt even installed. I use a thin silicon designed to find its way into tight rubber fittings and seal things up. A few days ago it was raining pretty good, so I took it for a cruse. There is one place left that leaks.

The new wing window gaskets I purchases have been nothing but trouble. They leak and they have never fit right. Ticks me off big time. What junk. I should have left the crusty ones in there, they looked like hell but they didnt leak. To bad I lost one of them. ARG!

But these are minor things considering how much has been accomplished. The motor is close to its 500 mile break in and things are looking good. I think I'll be crusin my ranch to some shows this year.

I'm already signed up for the Rose City Round up, put on by the Driven Dead cc. and I'm signed up for Billetproof 4th annual Washington Washout show. This will be the thrid year I've shown the car, and the first year it actually looks like major sh*t has happened. Feels good.

I'll supply more photos in the next month or so.

Cheers

19. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

For the first time viewers to this little thread about my old rusty ranch, The images are all working again. It had been a long time since I looked at the first two pages and had no clue that these images were broken. Their fixed for now. Thanks.

20. MrModelT

MrModelT

Man, this thing is lookin' good! :) You gotta bring it out to the shop soon, I want to see that thing in person!

21. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

I will do that. I'm working out some kinks. The oil pressure (or the oil pressure gauge) is fluctuating between 15psi and 40psi once the motor is warm. Also, on Monday, the warmest day of the year so far, my motor looked like it was going to over heat. Temp gauge climed up to 195 / 200. I never lost any coolant, but made me race home and shut it down.

Could be the fresh motor and the warm day adding to the temp climb. I've been driving this machine a few days a week back and forth to work and the weather has been cool and rainy so the temp has always hovered around 160 degrees. Monday the high temp was 70 degrees. So makes me wonder if my fan is doing a good job, if my radiator is still causing me grief or if all is good...its just a fresh motor that will run warm untill it is fully broken in. Dont know.

Also, I've noticed a few drips of oil escape through my dip stick every time I drive it. I checked my PCV valve while the motor was running and I am getting great vacuum. I also placed the palm of my hand over the oil fill hole in the valve cover, allowed the vacuum to build, then removed my hand and heard a whoosh of air rushing into the crank case. So I know I'm getting positive crank case ventilation. What is causing the dip stick to leak is a puzzle.

Lastly I am still having issues with water leaking around my new windshield rubber. Since first discovering the major leak, I applied windshield sealant w/ a special brass tip I made to insure the silicone got down deep into the chanel. I allowed it to cure for a few weeks then drove it in the rain again. I found a few more places on the lower portion which were still leaking. AND my new wing window seals are JUNK. they never fit right to begin with AND they leak. I've made some improovements to them but have not cured the problem yet.

DETAIL DETAILS...

But rest assured I will drive out to your place and check out your magnificent T and show off the Ranch a bit.

Thanks for the positive vibes and GOOD WORK on your T. I've been following your thread and it's Top Shelf all the way. Killer craftsmanship my friend.

22. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

Nice little Ranchero. I like the build! Has the previous owner saw it yet? I don't think he would recognize it!

23. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

Hey No Respect.

The last time the previous owner saw it was two years ago. Today He'd have a hard time picking it out of the line up. much has changed.

Thanks for the good word.

Once I get this oil pressure issue worked out I'll let you all know what the hell was going on. Right now I'm still scratching my head.

I just dropped the pan to inspect the pump and pressure regulator and found nothing wrong with it!!

More when I get out from under the Ranch.

24. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

The oil pressure issue has been solved. Thanks to some helpful advice from Majhor & Murray Garage, Ford Six Performance Forum & The HAMB.

Turns out that the issue was primarly caused by a bad BRAND NEW oil pump. But could have also been caused by a dented oil pan, concaved upward reducing the gap between the oil pick-up screen and the bottom of the pan. Not enough space can cause a cavitation effect.

Also I discovered that I had installed the wrong length push rods. I had installed 8.300" and should have installed 8.350". I installed some new Schnieder rods and this motor went quiet.

Todays Moto: "Live and Learn".

So the block is getting oiled, the rods have been stretched .05" and the Ranch is back on the road. :)

25. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

Cool build, looks like you got all the bases covered. I like the artwork too

26. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

that is just horrible that someone would pawn that off.

27. Cooder2

Cooder2
    from tejas

Wow, just sat here and read this entire thread. What an adventure. My compliments Mr Dropout, the car is practically brand new compared to how it started, what an inspiration.

28. Panel Pete

Panel Pete

Just finished reading the entire thread, you sir are one determined individual! You've taken the old girl from a rotted out salt mine car that had been used, abused, and put away very wet and transformed it to a lady anyone would like to be seen with. Thanks for seeing the diamond in the rough and taking the time to make you vision a reality. Looking forward to seeing more progress!

Pete

29. The_Monster

The_Monster

HEY!!!!!

On page 7 of this thread you said,

"I 'Hacked the Gibson' {Extra 10 points for anyone who can name the movie I'm refearing too} and was able to modifly the body of the 1101A carb. Now I have manual choke."

I dont think anyone has guessed the movie yet.....

car look good!

30. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

- Thanks Cooder-2 & Panel Pete. I appreciate the complements! The work has been hard at times, but mainly it has been lots of fun! And that is what its all about.

- Monster, thanks for reminding me of the Movie Trivia Quiz!!! You’re right no on has guessed which movie “HACKED THE GIBSON” is from. Hahahahaha

---UPDATE:
    Here are some recent photos of the Ranch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The oil pressure issue has been corrected! The culprit had something to do with the oil pump or oil pan. I’m not sure which. The scientific approach would have been to install the new pan with the old pump and measure the results. Then install the old pan with the new pump and measure those results. Not to mention the Mr. Fusion, flux capacitor and 1.21 gigga-wats necessary for thorough analysis. Unfortunately Doc Brown doesn’t live down the street, so I opted to install both the new pump and new pan hopping that one of those two would do the trick. Now the motor happily enjoys a near constant 40psi when fully warm!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bed has been finished too.

Next stop ROSE CITY ROUND UP! Then off to Billetproof Washington! RIGHT ON! SEE YOU THERE!