Register now to get rid of these ads!

powder coating question?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty rocket, Nov 15, 2011.

1. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Has anybody used a powder coat that looks like polished alum or chrome?

2. nickk

nickk

ive seen some before but its just not the same, it dont look bad personally but in my opinion it dont replace crome

3. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

it looks ok for a rear end housing or exaust pipes, things like that, but not for trim or a grill etc.

4. the QC is clear powder coated over lightly polished aluminum. The light blue powder was sprayed and I wiped down the polished highlights before it went into the oven. The clear went over the whole piece as a second coat.
    [​IMG]

the tail pipes are a chrome-like powder coat for high temps.

5. Spud

Spud
    from Ohio

I have used it on my grill, like nickk said don't replace chrome looks like polished aluminum. You have to clear over it, or it will get stained when it gets wet. Look like water spots that won't come off.
    [​IMG]

6. kiwiandy

kiwiandy

ive used aluminium powder coat on bike parts. Polished up really nice and looks good.

Andy.

7. shadams

shadams

[​IMG]

I didnt plan on powdercoating the wheels "chrome" but the guy kept on screwing them up when he was trying a translucent top coat so I got them back and this is how I got them. Looks nice though.....

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Eastwood chrome powder coating done in a kitchen oven. (in my garage, not my kitchen)

[​IMG]

I really like it for those small detail items like the linkage. I'd never send them out to be chromed but 20 minutes in a counter top toaster oven makes them look good. The powder coat is not as durable as chrome and chemicals can dull the finish. I can live with the compromise.

9. Looks like it would be great for my front I-Beam axle without thee worries and expense of chrome.

10. super-six

super-six

What are you using for the clear top-coat?

11. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

A buddy just did a set of headers , after polishing they look like chrome .Look great .
    "AND THE BOWTIE ROLLS ON"

12. wilksy

wilksy

Ive used it on my race car chassis and it looks really good from about 4ft away, it was done by a company in the UK called Aerocoat http://www.aerocoat.net/Aeromaxtm.htm they have aslo done it the chassis of at least two rods that I know of this one http://www.bucklandautomotive.com/a1934coupe.html
    and this one http://www.bucklandautomotive.com/akrazy.html both owned by a friend of mine.

It cost me £250.00 for my chassis and is done as a four part process zinc, black base, silver top and clear.

13. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Thats what i was thinking. wanted to do my axle and hairpins on my full fendered 32. if it didnt look like real chrome at least it would be covered by fenders.

14. sololobo

sololobo

All these replies are on the money. It dos not replace chrome! But if you want a nice aluminum look, it is the bomb, just like the examples say. I really think it is awesome when understood and used for a clean easy clean and quite durable finish. Here is some things we have done. We are featuring
    Rob Lee's valve covers and air cleaner, not the bare metal Hoodlum in the background. ~sololoo~

Attached Files:

15. Hank Turd

Hank Turd

I think it looks really good on that Krazy A... Definitely not as "deep" as chrome, but I think I may actually like it better on the chassis the way it is. Has a cool smokey look to it...

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

Powder coating is the same as a bad boob job IMO.

17. Spud

Spud
    from Ohio

Eastwood sell's a clear coat, and it can be cleared over with paint and rubbed out. Look on Eastwoods site they have a short video, they say the chrome needs to be cleared or it will tarnish.

18. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

I am getting the grill insert for my 34 Plymouth done now.I will post some pics when i get it back.