Register now to get rid of these ads!

My First Hemi

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by grichards790, Nov 14, 2011.

1. grichards790

grichards790

I need a little help. I have always been a small block guy and dont know all that much about Hemi motors. This past weekend I went home to deer hunt and was driving around my uncle's pasture when I discovered this motor. It is an old irrigation motor and was run on propane. It is complete, including a starter. My uncle says it ran great in 1971 when he quit using it. He gave it to me and is going to load it in my pickup with the skid loader the next time I get back home. He couldnt remember when he bought it, but bought it new. He also remembered changing the oil every week.

I am assuming I can convert it to gas with a rebuild and it will work fine as a car motor? It is not locked up and I am really excited about it. Should I be? Or am I in for a disappointment? Thanks for any advice on it.

Attached Files:

• 217.jpg
      217.jpg
      File size:
      537.4 KB
      Views:
    • 218.jpg
      218.jpg
      File size:
      516.8 KB
      Views:
    • 219.jpg
      219.jpg
      File size:
      516.2 KB
      Views:
    • 221.jpg
      221.jpg
      File size:
      486.4 KB
      Views:
    • 222.jpg
      222.jpg
      File size:
      486.5 KB
      Views:
  2. 51 Hemi J

51 Hemi J

If it was ran on propane all its life, its likely that its in good shape. I can't tell from the photos youve posted, but it looks like it might be a 331 with the longer bellhousing. Check the Hemi Tech here and let us know the serial numbers are once you get it home and in your garage.

3. Fedman

Fedman

Wow, nice score, but it has sat outside for 40 years and it is not locked up?
    That is amazing, I hope it is like new inside and you can find a nice project for it! :)

4. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

IMHO.. you scored a complete engine with all the trimmings.Yes.read into the hemi Tech..
    All the acc. are there..thats the hard part when putting them together.
    great score.

5. grichards790

grichards790

Thanks for the info. I hope to get it home the weekend after Thanksgiving. I may go back this weekend and get some numbers off of it but I dont think I can get it home then.

6. swimeasy

swimeasy

That should be a clean engine on the inside! Saved thread, good luck and may the HEMI Gods be with you!

7. Harris

Harris

Nice, keep up posted!

8. jstadrvr

jstadrvr

Nice find!!!! Congrats.

9. pottsie454

pottsie454

Wish I could run into that kind of luck! Congrats!

10. Very nice find

11. Nice Score, My brother got a 331 industrial like that a while ago and put it in his truck. Nice runner that was.

Figure out what it is first and take it from there.

12. well normaly i would say conrats but maybe you should stick to small blocks and let me play with the hemi...:D

but only if you want to. other then that nice score and have fun with that thing.

13. 41hemi

41hemi

Looks like a 392 crossover and water pump on that mill. What are the stamped numbers on the block just in front of the valley pan cover? (behind the water crossover) Definitely has the "auto" type later heads on it:D. Nice score regardless

14. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Just change the induction system back to gasoline, change the oil and fire that baby up.
    I'll never forget back in 76 or so, going through Giddings TX and seeing dozens of those engines in a lot sitting on pallets. Ouch.

15. George

George

Then change to an a car cam.

16. Tommy R

Tommy R

Fantastic. And I think it's particularly cool that it's been in the family since it was new! Can't wait to find out exactly what it is. Best of luck!

17. Don Martin

Don Martin
    from West Tenn

You never know where parts will pop up. Be sure to check out Hot Heads web site. Good luck

18. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congratulations! Very cool score!

In my signature line is a link to the Hemi Tech index (click on the banner). Grab a comfy seat, and start reading on Industrial Hemis. Lots of great information has been offered up on Industrial engines for use in automotive applications. Lists of vendors, info on parts, identification, machine shops in your area, as well as aftermarket parts and transmission adapters. If you don't see it, just ask or start a thread on the topic so we can keep adding to the tech threads!

Welcome to the wonderful world of Hemis!

19. 73RR

73RR

Good catch on the water pump. The exhaust manifold is also a 392 piece...hhmmmm...;)
    Too much junk on the back to see much but it cannot have an extended block if the 392 wp bolts on as the front patterns are different.
    Allow me to clarify 'cannot'...NEVER say never with MotherMopar.:D

20. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

I'd just change the cam, put the engine in a pick-up of some sort, and let it still burn propane (why ruin it by converting it to run gas).

21. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rocker covers say Industrial on them, might have yourself a solid lifter motor there. If you want, let me know where it is and I'll swing by on my way to South Dakota next week and check it out for you.

Maybe your uncle would even help load it for me........

22. George

George

I don't think anyone has reported solid cam in one, despite all of them having the bumps.

23. grichards790

grichards790

Thanks for all the info and the links to the tech pages. I am headed back out tomorrow to hunt some more and will get the numbers off of it. In the 3rd photo I posted I can see the metal ID tag still on the motor so hopefully I will have all I need right there.

I also talked to my uncle on the phone and he kept referring to the engine as 'that ol' 56A'. When I asked why he called it that he said that was what it was called when he bought it. When looking at the tech stuff an IND56A would be a 354 if I am looking at that right?

The sad part is I cant quit thinking about the damn thing and what I am going to do with it. This may cause me to completely redo my Model A coupe or give me the go ahead from momma for a completely new project! But for now I just want to get it home.

Will post more on MOnday after I get home and have some numbers.

24. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here, this will ruin you even more! :D:D And show the video to "mama" as well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxAW3oV8tw8

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AxAW3oV8tw8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

25. George

George

Yup! You can't read it with the intake on, but you'll find the casting # between the head & valley cover, pass side rear to confirm.

26. das858

das858

Congratulations Grant! I bought a 56a industrial HEMI in the mid '90's from a farm near Fairmont Ne. for $125.00 and thought I got a good deal. Just don't do like I did and sell it, hang on to that baby.

27. flathead okie

flathead okie

IT should be like new inside, I had a flathead that was ran on propane and set outside for 20 years. I put new seals andgaskets on it, converted it to gas and it ran great.Sold the coupe I put it in after driving it for 3 years. Guitarmook, here on the Hamb owns it now .

28. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The IND56A that he is referring to is not a casting number, it is the ID number stamped into the ID pad on the front rail ahead of the valley cover, and readable with the intake on the motor. Unless the propane motors had a different intake that blocked the view, but from the pictures it certainly appears that the stamped ID number should be visible.

29. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

awesome score , better drop unc a couple cases of his favorite beverage for that one

30. 73RR

73RR

I think that George was giving a gentle nudge for the op to remove the intake and verify what the block is. There have been some odd finds over the years...perhaps this could be one...
    The op indicates that the engine was bought new, so why does it have 392 water pump and exhaust manifolds...? With the block casting number the op will know what he has.