Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 47 Plymouth Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ThunderRoad Garage, Feb 3, 2009.

1. ThunderRoad Garage

ThunderRoad Garage
    from missouri

still involved quite a bit. its pretty intimidating to most boys her age when they find out she's involved in building her own car. and when i realized we probably werent going to have it done by the time she was 16 i told her she might have to drive my 66 chevy i ton dump truck until we finish her car. she got so excited. so i bought me a little more time with a truck i traded work for.

2. Great work! I really like what you're doing! Good luck with the project!

klaus

3. 49Dodgeboy

49Dodgeboy

great project, cherish those days with your daughter, you can't replace them.
    I,m 50 and took my 17 yr old to a Social D concert this year.....a night to remember for sure... take alot of daughter pics

4. BIG APE

BIG APE

Great project. Builds seem to take more time then originally expected. Nice to be involved with your daughter in this build. They will appreciate it so much more when finished. Doing a high boy 31 Ford sedan build for my daughter and there always seems to be something to slow down to next step. Good luck, will be a cool ride for her.

5. ThunderRoad Garage

ThunderRoad Garage
    from missouri

ok so a very small update. Very slow going since we have had to start working on the car outside. and of course 2 weeks after that it rained every saturday in our area for 8 weeks. we were trying to finish the channel and get the body and frame matched up to tack on the body mount brackets. and working on gravel was an incredible challenge so after several hours of jack stands moving and parts of the body catching parts of the frame we did this:

[​IMG]

and because nothing ever goes smoothly and because im a knucklehead who just loves one learning experience after another, we got everything leveled and/or at the right height and ill be damned if the effing cord for the welder lacked a foot and a half to reach the front firewall body mount. this is how i do things though. at this point i figured it was going to be easier to move the garage closer to the car. but it all worked out. two of the front mounts are welded, the body and chassis were leveled up and a cross piece was tacked in place in the back by the door post. enough to hold it all in place.

i take my victories where i can get them. All i can do is pay attention to my mistakes, dually not them and learn from them. if that be true i may be the smartest man on the planet after this project. i meant to take more pictures but couldn't on account of i was jumping up and down cussing and was about to put it all on craigslist most of the time.

The goal was to get the body and frame mounted together so i can move the whole project back home and try and gain more time to work on the car. to the goal was achieved. Next up I will line up the fenders so i can get a hood height and clearance measurement to get the engine and tranny mounting figured out. and then the chop.

When it comes time for the chop i may be having a cookout so as to bribe folks to come down and help do it right. I may not be a natural at building cars yet but i can run a smoker and cook up some mean barbecue. so those of you in my area you might take note.

6. nice.. build.. its funny to see a 47 frame is almost identical to my 50's frame. and aren't you mr. fancy pants using a tractor to lift the body.. I had to use a bottle jack cut up rail road ties and fence posts to get the body high enough to yank the chassis out from under the car with my polaris....

7. farmer12

farmer12

Great build! Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.

8. ThunderRoad Garage

ThunderRoad Garage
    from missouri

the tractor worked great after i found the last two bolts hiding under the rust in the floorboard. the use of a 124 hp tractor almost went from being really good idea to be the worse idea i ever had.

9. ThunderRoad Garage

ThunderRoad Garage
    from missouri

farmer12, thanks man. i have been eyeing your build on here. that engine you are putting in yours is crazy. thanks for doing good by those 40s Plymouths.

10. ThunderRoad Garage

ThunderRoad Garage
    from missouri

Because life sometimes kicks your ass for months that turn into over a year we are finally getting back into this project. Finally got the car back home where she belongs so maybe we can make some headway here real soon. Need to get some pictures of the last thing we did to the car which was the channel. Hopefully we will be putting up more post than once ever year or more from here on out.

11. farmer12

farmer12

You are right..... we need pics! Looking forward to your progression.

12. n847

n847

Yep keep us updated...Looking foreward to it!

13. Alejandro Sanchez

Alejandro Sanchez
    from El monte