Register now to get rid of these ads!

34 ford grill whats it worth?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BIG-JIM, Nov 15, 2011.

1. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

What Is this grill worth?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

3. 1500 dollars firm

4. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Your kidding right?:eek: If not want to buy it?:D

5. I suppose it boils down to how many are left rather than what one is worth-
    I dont need it- but it will bring that on that:) auction site.
    It is Original .nice patina and not a 33 and straight and at that price cheaper than a repro..........dont have ta make sense-just like a 25000 dollar deuce body with no frame huh?

6. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

true! You are a very wise man. Thinking about selling it.:confused:

7. too the condition of that very grille will lower the price of re plating it....a rougher one would cost enough more to plate so as to justify that asking price

8. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

That's the nicest 34 grille I've seen loose in years. $1500 is not out of the realm of sensibility.

9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I just picked up a '34 and a '33 grille yesterday that I'm going to be listing in the classifieds. They're not as nice as that one but one is pretty decent. Actually I have an entire '34 4dr sedan that needs to be listed.

10. rustymetal

rustymetal

it is worth what the buyer is willing to pay .

11. M.Edell

M.Edell

You can get new Bob Drake ones as low as $1900..Id say you would get $1200 from the right buyer

12. alchemy

alchemy

Good luck! With the cost of chroming so high, most guys who want chrome are going to Drake. And patina fans don't spend the big bucks.

I'd say $1000 tops. Let us know what you get for it and try to prove me wrong. :) (I hope you can)

13. bobbooth

bobbooth
    from limeyland

$1500 phew, thats a little pricey although thats not to say there isn't someone out there who must have it especially on THAT auction site I would of thought most folk on here have fun with there hotrods whilst not making themselves bankrupt in the process,imho up to a $1000 (but thats just me so dont take it as gospel !! )

14. I think that alchemy is closest to the truth on this one. I suppose that there are a few out there that need it to be an original piece.

I hate to admit it but if I needed one to find one in that ciondition would be way out of my budget. It looks pretty solid and for me would make a good piece for a mono chrome car. I know not trad but I like mono chrome cars. :eek:

15. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Thanks Mr. Obvious...

16. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Thanks guys for all the responses. The reason I'm asking is I'm building a glass 34 tudor and don't know if it worthy of an original grill. I want to go chrome but hear the after market grills fit like crap. I suppose having an after market car I should use an after market grill. Maybe it will fit perfect...:rolleyes:

17. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Well I could always swap you the one I have which is more of a painted quality. :D

18. M.Edell

M.Edell

Bob Drake makes a quality Grille, never heard any complaints about fitting issues.I have their repro Gas Tank in my 34, pretty nice tank.

19. I've got an old aftermarket grille. I'll swap if it'll make you feel better. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ sucka!

Attached Files:

20. alchemy

alchemy

Try to get this one deleted too? :)

Willys are a whole 'nother thing in the price game. Sometimes I see stuff for sale that seems way too cheap (front sheetmetal in our own HAMB classifieds), while other times I hear prices that are so far out of line that there's no way they're true (saw a bare metal coupe that was patched in every place imaginable, that the rod shop said the owner paid $40,000 before the patchwork).

We need pics Mr. Guffey.

21. 55FORDWGN

55FORDWGN

If that is a genuine 34 grill, I'll guarantee it will fit way better then any reproduction ever will.

22. I bought an EXTREMLY nice original 34 gill last year. I paid quite a bit fo it (1800.00) but thats not as much as a repop so I deem'd it worth it. It is the nicest original plated grill I have ever seen.

I bet yours is around a grand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. My opinion is that that is a $700-800 grille at most swapmeets. The prep work to bring that back to show condition is pretty great. Ask me how I know. I would walk by that grille all day long if you had a grand on it. Even if I needed it. Good luck.
    Chris, Your grille has way too many scratches on it. You paid way too much!

24. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

I don't see it on the classifieds yet. With these appraisals, I would have already sold it and bought beer!

I know what I will start watching for in the barns around here.

25. Thats your opinion. I'll take a hazey original any day over a Chinese repop. It's not near as "scratched" as it looks, thats a camera in a dim garage with the flash on. I'm not trying to make exscuses, find a better original grill in that price range. You won't.

reagen likes this.
  26. Awesome grill Chris.

Original '34 grills are kind of in limbo-land right now. If anyone is doing a really nice build they will buy a Drake @ around $1,900. If it's a "patina build", they don't want to spend the big bucks. So unless the original is in awesome shape (like the one above) it seems hard to get big money out of them. A mint original can bring HEFTY bucks.

Mine has enough patina to fit my car perfectly. A Drake would be too nice and look out of place, a rougher one would detract from the car. I lucked out.

27. $40,000 wouldn't surprise me, but neither would $20,000. The market is down and the car is in pieces, it would bring more even cobbed into more or less one piece and rolling than it will as a basket case. It's easier to tell what's missing on a more or less together car. I don't think the frame hurts it, they're pretty basic and would be easy to build a whole new one. Somebody just sold one that was posted in the classified here, older build but done and drivable and it sold quick at either $25,000 or $35,000 - I'd have to go look again to see which but I believe it was the latter.

28. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I happen to luck out with my '33 on my coupe because it's nice enough to chrome and I know a back yard chrome shop that'll chrome it without breaking my bank and heart.

But it's like anything with these cars if ya gotta have then you gotta have it.

29. Guffey,
    What opinions are you looking for...what it is worth, what direction to go with the project???
    I read a lot of the Willys threads, and haven't seen any great number of those p......g contest you mentioned. Have own a at least one Willys since 1960.
    g-willys

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011

30. Yes, true. I have been offered nearly double what I paid for it, but I just don't wanna let it go. I just like that original junk :D

reagen likes this.