Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tech: Installing a T-5 behind a 235 ci Six in a 55-59 Chevy truck w/ short shifter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1958apache, Sep 7, 2011.

1. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Yes

2. Snarl your right on target: one method is easier and the other method is cheaper! comes down to what do ya have more of time or money?

3. Just ordered up a spacer as recommended by 1958apache. Near impo$$ible to find a Camaro WC with 2.95`s but managed to get a 88 S10 with the 3.78`s which should work great with my 3.90 rear.

4. Great post fellas! Thanks for takin' the time to put up the good info.

5. 1958apache

1958apache

I was able to get the 1/2" bolts through the case of the transmission without drilling, BUT I did drill it to 1/2". If I did have to do this 1000 miles from home I could get the bolts through without drilling and be on my way.

Agreed. Different ways to skin a cat... In the end you have taken another one of those furry bastards off the planet!

6. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

man, awesome tech!

this one is going in my "shit i need to keep for later" folder lol

7. 1958apache

1958apache

Thanks, this is the best thing I've done to my truck. I can cruise 70mph down the highway, and have had it up to 85-90.

:cool:

8. After lots of research and help from this forum, I finally got my T5 installed this afternoon. A couple of short drives around the block and everything works excellent. The spacer is definitely the way to go and really does take the guess work out. I ended up replacing the clutch assy and shortening a S10 drive shaft to 49 3/4 inches along with replacing the rear u-joint to a offset 1310/Saginaw (S44) to match up with the stock 55 rear end. Next I am going to mod the shifter to shorten the throw.

9. redhawk74

redhawk74

10. This is strange because I have a friend who put a camaro T5 in his '53 chevy pickup behind a 235 without a spacer. He used a '71 camaro clutch and all he said he had problems with is fabricating the shifter because it was located on the tail of the trans. So is the shaft on the camaro T5 shorter than the S10????

11. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

The camero V8 transmission doesent need imput shaft shortening or the adapter....

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  12. ALF_Doc

ALF_Doc

The Camero and S-10 T-5's also have different tail cones because the Camero has the shifter set in place further back.

Great thread. I'm building a 1950 Chevy and I'm using this exact drive train, with the exception of the drive shaft length (most likely different, anyway).

Thanks for the post!

Damon

13. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

You did good!!

14. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

15. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

But you can swap tail shaft housings

16. gilles d

gilles d
    from winnipeg

great thread im thinking of swaping 4spd with a t5 in 62 c10 with 235 wich trans do you guys recomend i look for?

Attached Files:

17. ol55

ol55
    from Virginia

Great thread...I'm planning on using a '84 trans which I think has a lower first gear and a mechanical speedo.

Larry
    I'm no pro

18. cncd11

cncd11

where do you get the trans adaptor from for this? I see alot of talk about the spacer for the trans and i get all that, but as far as the trans mounting to the og bellhousing is there a special adaptor or will the s-10's stock trans mounting adaptor work.

19. ol55

ol55
    from Virginia

There are two people mentioned to get the adapter on page 2. The thread is worth reading twice! You can also fab your own...

Larry

20. cncd11

cncd11

yea noticed it now that you mentioned it. Thanks.

21. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

i used the hot rod works and it was money well spent along with the picture by picture of what to do! and hardware as long as you dont lose them like me

Attached Files:

22. messy jesse

messy jesse

this is cool im doing the same on my 58 chevy truck

23. messy jesse

messy jesse

24. taddibbes

taddibbes
    from tulare ca

this is exactly what i was looking for, thanks

25. This is a GREAT thread!!!

What kind of gas mileage are you getting with the 235/T5 combo?

26. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Regarding the mounting bolts:
    I have found that installing studs in the bolt holes of the bellhousing makes mounting ANY transmission a breeze. They guide the trans squarely onto the bellhousing, guiding the input shaft into the pilot bushing nicely.
    Finish with lock washer and nut, and it's good to go.
    Gives you a lot more space than trying to slide a full-length bolt into place--I've had that problem too, where the bolt is too tight or awkward to get in the hole, due to castings on the trans case.

-Brad

motion guru likes this.
  27. hdexpert

hdexpert

Thanks so much to the OP for the great pics and all the info!! I've purchased the trans and shifter spacers from Inline, bought a S10 T5 on Craigslist for $100 that needs the 1-2 shift fork replaced and am currently trying to locate a drive shaft.
    I'll post up as this project progresses.

28. belair

belair

Makes me want to cut the floor in my virgin 55 sedan and replace the 3 on the tree.

29. hdexpert

hdexpert

So I removed the stock 3 speed and came across something odd. The top two bolts thread into the bell housing and the bottom two thread into the trans. Is this normal?

30. Yep... Completely normal. The shop manual directions tell you to remove the flywheel cover to get to those two bolts when removing the transmission. At least for my 54 1/2 ton it did