Register now to get rid of these ads!

5" lowering blocks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lakermatt, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Lakermatt

Lakermatt
    BANNED
    from Fresno,CA

Has anyone ever put a 5" lowering block in their 50's chevy truck? Please put up pictures if you have!! Is it possible with my drive line and rear end? What's the max before it fucks up??

2. squirrel

squirrel

look how much vertical space there is between the lowest part of the rearend/spring/Ubolts, and the bottom of the wheel. you need the wheel to be the first thing that hits the road when you get a flat. If the suspension hangs lower than the wheel, it'll grab the road and turn you sideways. This is called "scrub line".

http://image.europeancarweb.com/f/30551962/epcp_1011_04_o+performance_polititcs+scrub_line.jpg

there may be other considerations too. There's probably a good reason why 5" blocks are not used very often.

3. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

That sounds like you're pushing the "safe" envelope...

4. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

just learned something new "scrub line".....thanks

5. Hank Turd

Hank Turd

Ya, 5" sounds like an awful lot for a drop with blocks. I know 4" blocks are made, and are angled to help with pinion angle issues. I've seen a 4" block with a 1" block stacked onto it, and I've seen 3" and 2" blocks stacked together...which always makes me shudder.

6. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

You were asking about lowering your other car (the one in your avatar if I remember right) a month or so ago, how did that go?

Scotty.

7. 5" would be scary.

8. Lakermatt

Lakermatt
    BANNED
    from Fresno,CA

My 53 Plymouth has a enclosed drive line. The boots that hold in the grease and keep out road grime and debris were tore up. Probably weakening the "ball and trunion" joints. When I dropped the back end it destroyed the ujoints. So I have to get new ones, because it sounds real bad with the vibration on the driveline.

9. Lakermatt

Lakermatt
    BANNED
    from Fresno,CA

Ha ha ha... It wouldn't be fun if it was safe right??