Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Project Thirty Eight

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Django

Django
    from Chicago

There isn't much I'd want to change on your '38, especially since our coupes are so similar. I'm looking forward to the new and improved version. Hope you're able to fall in love all over again.

2. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

I find it strange as we age - We are still trying on different faces to find our own

In my thoughts a Caddy powered 38 fits that -- very fine line of time - ?

3. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dude..I am SO excited. You know I love that little car. You have threatened to do "something" with it a few times over the last few years, now it looks like it is going to happen.

Maybe we will have to line em up some day soon.....

-Abone.

4. You mean this one? Trust me, it was more impressive in person;)

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/BurnOneDown/kcsp.mov

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

You are actually a bigger driver behind this than you know. I used to overlook a lot of aspects of the car that I didn't like simply cuz... well, it was faster than everyone else's hot rod. Amazingly, it was the fastest car at the first HAMB Drags.

Then, guys like you and DW started building these fucking 10-second street cars. The next thing I knew, my little ole street rod wasn't all that fast anymore.

Nothing to hang my hat on!

So, this new version of the car will share a lot of similarities to the old. It won't make the brutal power that it currently does, but it will be more balanced. Instead of running 12.90s at 120mph, I want to run 12.90s at 108. And I want to do it in a more cohesive package. More efficient... smarter... A little more casual, but still quick.

The motor is a big focus. The SBC that is in the car now has a lot of sentimental value to me and has always been the focus of the car. I'm saving that motor for something else and replacing it with something that is pretty special. In a weird way, it makes sense... This car is about the motor.

The basic idea is to pretend like someone gave Doane Spencer a '38 coupe in 1958 and then challenged the poor bastard to make a well rounded hot rod out of it. No flash. All business.

In some ways, we are very much going to be going backwards. Just as an example, the mustang II is gone - replaced by a dropped axle. Shit like that. I realize none of this makes any sense on a lot of levels, but hot rods typically don't.

6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

7. Myself and the Gossons will cherish that morning forever. Thanks man. :)

8. This is going to be good.

Thanks for taking us along for the ride.

9. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

T-Bird power? Sorry I can't myself

10. n847

n847

So will this be the build thread...Or will you be starting a new one...I just don't wanna miss out!

11. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

This doesn't surprise me one bit :)

12. Awesome.....been hoping the 38 gets a new life in the spotlight.....always one of the best. I love the idea of brutal power and a drag setup under a classic shape...but the new idea sounds interesting too....

13. I was thinking you sold it, started to feel your pain, then was excited with the idea of a new project....good read Ryan!

14. n847

n847

As I'm still relativly new to the HAMB I've never seen any real information about this 38 so I was wondering if there was an old build thread or something of that nature to explain the cars current configuration! I was gonna go through his previous threads but I didn't want to wade through 12,000 threads!

15. 50Fraud

50Fraud

You've declared your intention to update the car previously, and I was one of those saying I hope you don't. Your call, of course, but I'd like to offer my 2c once more.

The big rake, whitewalls, little caps with no rings -- those details of your car have a look that it completely unique, and I hope you keep it. Knowing Keith, I'm guessing the WWs will go away, but I wanted to enter my vote.

Doane Spencer, huh? Y-block? BLOWN Y-block? .....ummm..... Ardun?

It's in very good hands, of course. I'm confident that it will be wonderful.

PS You've noted that you disagree vehemently with many of my opinions, so I'd probably better just be quiet.

16. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

This is going to be good. Sounds like it is going in the right direction. Please keep up posted

17. F&J

F&J

In a recent post from you, you said: "If you don't like...............then concentrate on what you love". So, if you live and breathe old time rods, like you said in an older post, why is taking out the streetrod stuff even remotely "going backwards"?

to me, it's neither direction, backwards or forward...if that makes sense

18. Kettleman

Kettleman

look forward to seeing the build

Very curious as to the new motor:D

19. tjelwood

tjelwood
    from oklahoma

Somewhere my brother has a timing slip from thunder valley from where he lined up his Nash to Ryan's 38. That's where we found out about this website.

20. But yet he will say in the same breath that your cars are killer.........which they are.

21. Hmmmmm..... interesting. :rolleyes:

22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I totally remember that. I missed second gear and he went by me... :)

23. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

God damnit I thought you sold it. My eye started twitching. Then I read it was going to get a makeover and I was happy again. I love that car.

24. Good luck with the reincarnation, may be a nailhead, hemi or cad.
    Keep us posted down here!
    Bob the Brickie

25. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Thought you was going cust:mad:m for a second there

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  26. kaydub

kaydub
    from Cali

I hate you!(out of pure jealousy of course) All I do all day is dream of having any old rod in my garage to go drive and you have that bad mofo sitting dormant for 2 years???shame shame shame:)

Look forward to seeing what is in store for the makeover...

27. Ramblur

Ramblur

Another overhead? A pretty special one too? THATS all we get?

Great,just great, another friggin DRAMA thread on the HAMB... Hahaha;)

Alright,I'm hooked.*subscribed*:cool:

28. haychrishay

haychrishay

Thanks for starting this project ! As I just told another guy from Iowa this is a whole bunch of fun. I will look forward to the progress reports !

29. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

You scared me as well, making it look like the '38 was no longer a part of the Cochran stable. I wasn't as obsessive over the HAMB back then as I am now so I never really heard much about the '38. I'm glad to hear you still have it and am excited for whatever plans you have for it. I'm liking the "Doane Spencer '38" idea a lot so I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for the build thread. I think I'll be digging up all the old threads and reading them for myself, I need a good ol' history lesson anyways.

You have great taste in cars. You definitely will not disappoint.