Register now to get rid of these ads!

Getting my 50 Shoebox done

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by grego31, Nov 14, 2011.

1. grego31

grego31
    from Sac, CA

It's getting done, on the road and working out the tuning and cooling issues. Still have some work to be done but I am having fun with it and as we all know, it is never done!!
    Enjoy!

Attached Files:

2. grego31

grego31
    from Sac, CA

Some more pictures

Attached Files:

3. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Lookin' Good!!!
    Always a great stride when you can drive it as well as keep the upgrades coming!
    Good Job, and Enjoy....
    Cheers....

4. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Looking good.Reminds me of a Y block powered 50 I had in 56. Is it two toned or is that just the light playing tricks? Also who's whitewalls are those, the width is perfect as are the wheels snd caps.

5. grabrr

grabrr

Very Nice!!! I've always liked those cars.

6. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

7. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

The car looks great . I wish my 'box was that far along .

8. Big Tony

Big Tony

Nicely done, good color combo

9. grego31

grego31
    from Sac, CA

Thanks for all the compliments.

The top is purple metal flake, the first one I ever did, bottom is gloss black, all done in the garage.

The tires are from Coker, I'll have to check the size if you want it. They are radials. The wheels are vintiques solids 15x6 as well as their bullet caps.

I have the 8BA flathead in it but switched out the manual and put in a C4 using Flat O Matic's adapter kit. I also put on a sharp 4 barrel intake manifold and an Edelbrock carb and the thing runs great. I also put a Pertronix ignition module and coil. I keep the points in the back as a spare.

10. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

My daughter told me a few days ago I should paint mama's car ('50 Ford 2 dr sedan) with a sparkly purple top. Needless to say, she LOVES your car!

11. rafael

rafael
    from Moody AFB

you son of a gun!!! that looks purdy good...!
    thats exactly what i was going to do on my 4 door.
    thats better than photoshop.... now i have to find another color lol.
    Raf

12. grego31

grego31
    from Sac, CA

Here are a couple more pictures.

Attached Files:

13. Nice job. Love the flake!!

14. grego31

grego31
    from Sac, CA

Thanks, but unless one of us makes a long road trip, I am pretty sure we won't be going to the same shows or hang outs so there can be two purple topped cars. The more the better, I love the way the car looks in the sunlight and even more at night when the street lights hit the paint.

15. grego31

grego31
    from Sac, CA

Thanks,
    I did it the new school way and blew on the flake dry. Seems that I used alot less clear to cover it up too. Less mess and clean up was a breeze.

16. Plumb

Plumb
    from Dundee, IL

Looks great, I am starting one tomorrow with my son. Bought it a couple months ago and he glommed onto it. Now that the weather is turning it is coming inside for a face lift.

17. Looking great. I to wish i was that far into the build. Now with the NHL 'JETS' are back in town and a game on the tube every other day, it's realy cutting into my build time.
    Got some more pics?

18. grego31

grego31
    from Sac, CA

Any requests?
    I have some but since it is inside the garage, I can take any of any part or profile that you want.

19. EBW

EBW

Very nicely done !!

Yes, Post pics.. Do you have build pics ??
    I am curious what you mean by the blow on flake treatment.

20. Gator

Gator

Nice Shoebox!

21. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Really good to know. Used a ton of flake on my caddy and swept up prolly half. Didja use a Roth flake blaster?

22. Purple and Flake...sweet.....

23. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

I like that alot - good job!

Attached Files:

24. Really nice...

25. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

What a cool, clean, looking car. Very nice, lots of nice stuff going on. The roof just pops, very sexy. Sorry i have a thing for flake, does funny things to me and anyhow, flake is sexy:p. More pics if you have them.

Just one question. When talking about the flake you mentioned "dry", can you expand on that please,? I've got a feeling this method is what i've messed around with in the past. I've managed a few small flake paint jobs , using "home brewed" equipment in the garage and although they've taken alot of time to do them, they've turned out real nice and lasted well. Interested in knowing what you used to blow the flake on. You'd piss yourself if you saw what i have been using.

Happy cruising

26. Flyinsolo71

Flyinsolo71
    from Austin

Really like the fact it is not chopped! Looks great!

27. grego31

grego31
    from Sac, CA

Thanks everyone for the compliments.
    Several have asked about the flake and blowing it on dry. I used a Flake Buster 2 from Old School Flake. Here is his website. http://www.innate.com/Paint/OSF/Flake%20Buster.htm
    Some people have used undercoat gun or modified a paint gun but after searching the web, I came across the flake buster. I happened to be down in San Diego and gave the guy a call. He told me to drop by and he would set me up. Real nice guy and he has a real nice product. He also sells some real wicked flake and pearl colors.
    I used just a portion of flake that everyone told me that I would use.
    So what you do is, you lay down a tack coat of clear, then a nice medium to heavy coat being careful not to run. If it has that orange peel look, all the better that helps the flake to stand up and sparkle. So after the wet coat of clear or even clear base coat, you dust on the flake at like 5-8 psi. If it is not wet, it won't stick. If you have a large area like a roof, you can do it in sections like I did. I shot the clear on the left half of the roof, dusted the clear on then shot clear on the sides of the left side then dusted the flake on. Repeated on the right side. It doesn't matter if there is overlap, once it is all cleared on your last coats, you won't even notice. It also gives it a slight layered effect that makes it pop. Then once everything is flaked to your liking, clear away to bury the flake, sand to get all the orange peel off then give it the nice final shot of clear. Like I said earlier, clean up was a breeze, just sweep up the little remaining flake on the floor, done. No messing with clears and flake and keeping it shaking so it doen't settle or the huge mess that is now your paint booth.
    Keep in mind that this was my first flake job and I haven't shot paint in 6-7 years.

As for build pictures, don't really have any. I just plugged away at night or on the weekends, whenever I had spare time.

28. Looks great man good job!

29. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

looking great.i had my roof flaked by manny cisneros here in san diego,he did a great job,nothing like a decently sprayed flake to make a ride pop.Small flake is ideal as large flake peels and is very low rider..really great colors