Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 38 Ford Coupe....Fixing Drip Rails????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 47chevycoupe, Nov 14, 2011.

1. 47chevycoupe

47chevycoupe
    from Finland

Just wondering what would be the best way to fix these drip rails and jambs. The car is almost rust free but the dents :eek: :eek:

Was picked up with a chain and it kinda messed up things.

Roof is not straight in the top rear area but should be able to straightened out OK.

Drivers side is damaged for about 12" and has been welded up sometime and passenger side is crushed where the chain was.

Passenger side

[​IMG]

Drivers Side

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  2. koolkemp

koolkemp

You can buy the complete drip rails repoped for I think $200 for both sides...

3. fordclubcoupe37

fordclubcoupe37
    from Mich

Been there and done it. If I had to do it again I will change the roof before trying to change the rails. They are pinch welded in between the roof and lower jambs. Thats why ya see so many bondo formed ones. or just gone. Hang on! find a roof or just tack weld some replacement sections in. and mudem.

4. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

For the shotgun side of the driprail I'd build a "tee-stake'' type dolly/spoon from round stock and flat steel . Choose the round stock that best fits the crown of the driprail shape. To straighten the rail, you can rough out some of the damage with pliers wrapped in 200 m.p.h. tape so tha jaws of the pliers don't do more damage to the rail. I'd heat the ding up with a torch to a cherry red colour, and work your ''tee-stake-dolly/spoon'' on dolly, until you have it straight, On the driver's side I'd open up the rail with a screwdriver, worl your 'tee-stake ' behind, and straighted it as before. For the repair to door jam Cant Rail, I'd weld a bolt head into the deep area of the dent, attach a small length of chain & a nut & washer to the welded bolt head, and use a come-a-long to pull the damage out. Be sure to hammer around the damaged area to help releave pressure in the damaged area. Use a straight edge to gauge that the rail is level & straight to the opening.
    These don't need repalcement, just straighting & derusting:D

" Humpty Dumpty was pushed "

5. 47chevycoupe

47chevycoupe
    from Finland

Thanks. Will do my best to get them straight. I was thinking a complete roof replacement. Guess that's why I am not a body man.

6. I'm confused by the pictures...SBC Chevy smog exhaust manifolds is all I see. Did I miss something?

7. 47chevycoupe

47chevycoupe
    from Finland

Do not know what happened. Was a picture of the drip rails. Posted these pictures on another post..................

8. afaulk

afaulk

Sounds like a unique project-may start a trend. Drip rails on manifolds huh? Just funnin! Like pimpin said, straighten em or if above your skill level, pay somebody for a couple hrs skilled labor. may be a bargain!

9. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

who knows you could be on to something?
    drip rails on manifolds for cars with no hoods, i bet theres a market for it.