Register now to get rid of these ads!

This is good right??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotskins, Nov 7, 2011.

1. The guy that owned this before me sucks at body work! Yes thats all bondo falling off the car. It's going to be a fun weekend.

Attached Files:

2. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Might be quicker and cheaper to buy some more doors.

3. Lift off carefully because you might remove the body entirely!

4. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

wow, have you checked the rest of the body, floors, etc. the idea of another door does sound like an idea to consider. having the whole car sand blasted, by a true car shop - not an industrial blasting shop, might be another idea to consider. you will not be bored for a while.

6. I already have a new divers door, thats the middle pic. I have not been looking forward to removing all that bondo, but If I take my time I might do ok. I hope.

No it's my 66 Fury.

7. Movinman

Movinman

I own a 63 Falcon that had similar issues. The previous owners rust solution apparently came in a can.

8. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

9. Fleetside

Fleetside

Did the P.O. do cement work for a living?

10. Fringe

Fringe
    from Sacramento

Tree bark on a car?

11. I hate bondo!!

12. stimpy

stimpy

thats clled a wack and pack job , in the early 70's when bondo was a bodyman in a can , they wacked the panel some what straight and packed the mud inthere and carved a fender or panel , seen many of them this way , I worked on a 62 chevy 2 that had beautiful body lines but the bottom of the panel was rusted out and since we had ne panels , we decided to cut the old ones off , wellas I started cutting I ran into a dust storm , aparently at one time the car was hit in the door and pushed it in 2" they pulled it out about !/2 and filled and carved the whole front of the panel from bondo and also interlaid steel mesh in it , the metal onthe backside was rotted out and the bondo was all theat was holding it together , we joke about it was Gms only plastic chevy 2 .

13. dadseh

dadseh

wow... around here we call that a dinner plate special!!! lol.
    I remember when I was about 12 ( now kiddies this was before bondo was invented!), I watched my dad fill in the bottom of a 1/4 panel on a 53 plymouth with chicken wire and cement... looked pretty good too after 3 coats of hand brushed enamel over it.
    (Im not kidding!!)

14. I think bondo has some good qualities and uses, but not in this case. I guess for some people it's easier to hide the problem then to fix it. If anything, I will be a little better at body work by the time I am finnished with this car. See - silver lining!

15. 23crate

23crate
    from nz

yep ... thats a special one !! .....

seen some treasures in my time at various bodyshops ,,, best one was a 64-1/2 mustang, doors were half an inch thick, hood a little deeper deck lid... in fact the roof was the best part on it every other panel was thick with good ole "magic mud".

as with "Dasdeh" a guy i know here poured a layer of concrete over the rusted floor of his hilux so he could some more miles out it,,, dam motors in those are too reliable..

keep up the good work ... we have a saying over here.... "she'll be right mate"

16. This weekend all the crap comes off. I'll post some pics of the progress. I just hope I don't have to replace any panels, or welll a big section of them atleast.

17. wizzard23

wizzard23

Sounds like a normal Mustang to me (over rated POS)

18. 23crate

23crate
    from nz

hahaha yeah man ....

my 11 year old son likes Johnny Cash quite alot...

19. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

How many moons ago was that layed? looks rather weathered.
    Good luck.

20. Something that was done when it was just an old car and they wanted to make it look better to sell it. I've seen worse... hell I've done as bad on some of the beaters I've had, when I know it's just going to rot out too bad to pass inspection and not worth enough to fix right, I just slap it on there so the holes are filled in. It usually outlasts the beater.

21. brad chevy

brad chevy

Post some pics of before and after when you get it stripped.There might not be enough left to work with.

22. Well got all the bondo off the rear fender this weekend, only found a little cancer, I think that bondo was acting as a preservative!
    ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>

Attached Files:

23. And a few more pics...

Attached Files:

24. And a couple more...

Attached Files:

25. lets see if these pics are any bigger.

Attached Files:

26. Oldskool56

Oldskool56

"weight is horsepower" It will be "scarey fast" now that it is lighter!

27. It's already scary, now with the "weight" reduction, I can try to make it faster.

28. Well here&#8217;s some more mud that was taken off this last weekend. Just look what was hiding underneath all that crap.

Attached Files:

29. Steele rubber needed a 'Guinea Pig' to test out a new window gasket. My car got picked. yeah me. As you can kinda see my window was anything but good.

[​IMG]

but here is my new window with the gasket on ready for install.

[​IMG]

and here it is installed. Now I can see out the back window like I should.

[​IMG]

30. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

That looks like I done it when I was 16. 40+ yrs later I'm not much better, that why I dont do body/bondo work.