Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. monkaz

monkaz
    from gilbert,AZ

That is Jerry Hoyt in the number 7 Wills Offy and Bob Sweikert in the number 5 Sweikert Offy.

2. monkaz

monkaz
    from gilbert,AZ

A photo that appears to be taken the same day as post#16776 shows Jerry Hoyt getting bawled out by fellow Oklahoman, Jimmy Reece for not pulling in when his wheel came loose.

Attached Files:

3. fogs58

fogs58
    from ooo

By chance do you have a date on that photo ?

4. monkaz

monkaz
    from gilbert,AZ

July 3, 1955. Jerry was killed at the next race at Oklahoma City on July 10,1955.

5. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

July 3rd puts them at Salem. I thought these were from Dayton? Jerry turned his car over in a heat race and caught his head on a post, didn't he?

6. fogs58

fogs58
    from ooo

I dont know the dates on my photos. I see prior to that it could have been 6/26/55. there was a AAA race I see listed at Dayton on that date.

7. jjones752

jjones752
    from Indy

If you enlarge the photo to 200 %, you can make out a #67 on the nose of the car on the outside front row. Don't know who that is but I don't recall a Malloy car carrying that number. The nose doesn't look quite like a Pankratz to me, either.
    Second row inside appears to be #45, and I'm betting outside row two is Pat O'Connor in the LaVilla #1.

8. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

9. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Its a good bet that Bob was in one or the other since he owned them both.

10. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Denny;
    Take the Cages and wings off, maybe that would help.

11. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

from Steve Hammat (Racing History Site):
    "The other update is
    that the car/truck combination has been sold and it stayed
    here in the USA. Speedy Bill Smith and the Museum of
    American Speed was the eventual buyer. The vehicles were
    picked up from near Seattle yesterday, Nov 11th, and should
    arrive in Lincoln, Nebraska on this coming Monday. It will
    serve as a center point in the museum's display.
    That's all I know for now....."

12. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

13. Ebert

Ebert

14. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

Since it hasn't been done, I thought I'd mention that we lost Dick Atkins and Don Branson 45 years ago today at Ascot Park

15. monkaz

monkaz
    from gilbert,AZ

Bob Sweikert owned the number 5 the number 7 was owned by John Wills who owned or, was an executive with Hoover Motor Express.

16. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

monkaz;
    Thanks for that info. I guesws my source was wrong. I never knew either Sweikert or Hoyt, but a fellow car owner told me that Bob used money won in his Indy victory to buy these cars.

17. fl 68

fl 68

Gentlemen I'm new to this segment of the car hobby and have purchased a 1968 Shnieder built car out of Cailf. It is a bit unique I feel because it is powered by a 351 Cleveland engine. The previous owner claimed that Allen Heath, Ace Duncan, Jay East, Sammy Sauer, Chuck Hatcher, Rodger Godfey and Wally Pankratz all have driven the car and had been owened by Chuck Godfrey and Bob Jones. However there is no documentation. Any info or contacts on these guys? Depending on the history of the car will determine what I do with it. On Sept 3 Dick L had a post #15702 page 786. It is the yellow 53 car. He had taken photos of the car but was unable to gve me any info. Please any help would be greaty appreciated.

18. monkaz

monkaz
    from gilbert,AZ

Spike,

I think a lot of people thought Sweikert owned the number 7. The number 7 was the former number 73 McNamara Spl, built by Harry Turner. Lee Elkins got upset with Sweikert and traded Sweikert's number 73 sprint car to the manager of Hoover Motor Express, John Wills, for a couple of trucks. Bob took care of the Wills car along with his own car. Wills continued to run the car after Sweikert's death. A.J. Foyt drove it in 1957 as a black and orange Number 6. Don Branson drove it when it was an orange number 8. The car ended up in the east as the number 5 Bud Sherk Offy driven by Jud Larson.

19. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

20. Buildy

Buildy

How I spent my day today. Got to hang out with some of my best racing friends and this car was icing on the cake. Thanks Joe for bringing it along and Thanks to Stan Lobitz for hosting his annual party.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  21. Buildy

Buildy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stan and some of the gents. Got to talk with Wynn`s 1,Sprinter2,CT-PA,Mlight9,Hopkins 1 and his lovely lady,Rabs32,BillyCourtrightJr,Hank Rodgers Jr,DennyZimmerman, Tommy A19. Sorry if I forgot anyone! And of course,my friend Stan,who is one in a million!
    [​IMG]

22. Dick L

Dick L

What a great looking car. This is as good as it gets! Thanks for sharing.

23. Buildy

Buildy

You`re Welcome!

The car has a spectacular history,along with beautiful lines! 8 Indy 500 wins shared by the drivers of this car. 4 for AJ Foyt,3 for Johnny Rutherford and one for Mario Andretti. Mario also won the World championship in F-1,and the Daytona 500. AJ Foyt also won a Daytona 500 and the 24 hrs of Lemans.

[​IMG]

On the left side of the car Joe Has Mario Andretti lettered as driver and on the Rt.side Johnny Rutherford.

[​IMG]

Johnny Rutherford.

[​IMG]

Mario Andretti

[​IMG]

24. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

How I spent my weekend.....I went to the NEAR movie party in West Springfield Saturday night, saw lots of friends from my stock car days. Then drove to Stan's place (with a couple of stops along the way), Buildy your right what a great get together. Got to see lots of friends from my open wheel days, I won't mention names because I'd probably forget to mention some and and then maybe mispl their names. I got to meet some more HAMBers and connect faces with avitars. Had a great time.

Stan I got a call and had to leave sooner than I wanted and when I looked around to find and thank you I couldn't find you. So....Thank You Stan, a great shin dig and I will be back next year. Denny Z

25. easter

easter

I went to shake Mario's hand one time in Cleveland and he held out his left hand palm down with his fingers bent. I didn't know whether I should kiss his hand or hit him in the mouth.

26. Buildy

Buildy

Mario was always nice to me. I know he didn`t like getting passed on the track,though!
    He would give the one finger salute.

27. Buildy

Buildy

On another note,Joe said he has not been able to find any photos of the AJ Foyt Win at Altamont Cal. If any of you would know of any,I`m sure Joe would be thrilled.

28. fl 68

fl 68

A few days ago I sent out a post asking for help on locating some history on my 1968 Pete Schnieder built car. Trough the help of Racer5C I was able to get the e-mail address of Wally Pankratz. (Thank You RacerC5) I E-mailed Mr Pankratz and with in one hour I was on the phone with him havig a very nice conversation and said he did in fact drive the car at a race at Ascot in Feb of 1977. Said it was the only out law race that year held there. At that time he said the car was owned by Chuck Godfrey and the car was PINK. Said he started in the back and finished 7th. Also said that the race was coverd by ABC SPORTS. Also confirmed that the car was driven by Allen Heath, Ace Duncan, Jay East, Sammy Sauer and Chuck Hatcher. Any Ideas on how to get the old footage of the Ascot race? Or any photos of the other drivers in this car. Like I said in my previous post the car is a bit unique because of the 351 Cleveland motor. Also there is a photo of the car on page 786 Post 15702 It is the yellow 53 car. Thanks for any help.
    Ed