Register now to get rid of these ads!

52 chevy truck / s-10

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hellbillydeluxe1942, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Hey...
    I am about to take on swapping out my stock 52 truck frame for an S-10. I was wondering what years to look for? I found a frame out of a 94-2002 but I believe this is to new. I know I need the 116 inch wheelbase out of an extended cab or long bed... but that's about it...

Thanx!

2. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

what's the matter with the frame that's under it?

3. Ironic....I was just thinking about putting a '52 frame under my S-10....

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

X2. Not worth the effort. Fix or upgrade what is there.

5. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

The Only years that will fit under the 52 is 2010 and 2011 trucks. So your gonna need to shell out some cash and buy a new truck, then you can start cutting. :)

6. Disregarding wheelbase, all S10 frames are basically the same with the exception of Blazers having a different rear section.

7. xxzzy999

xxzzy999

hellbilly,

S10 frame swaps are kinda sacrilegious with many here on the HAMB forum.

Here is a website that might help you:

http://www.geocities.com/lakota_circle_dancer/swap1.html

This info is for an S10 frame swap for a Ford F1, but there's a lot of good info you should be able to use.

It's your project, build it how yoiu want.

Good Luck!

X

8. CH3NO2

CH3NO2

The S-10 frame swap may by a 'no-no' by some here, but for some of us, we don't have an option of using an original frame. The truck I'm looking at picking up has no frame, let alone most of the rest of the body, so I am interested in info on this exact swap. Seems the most cost effective way for me to get mine on the road, sacreligiousness be damned.

9. JustJoey

JustJoey

Hey man check out this site http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13

Everything you could ever want to know about s10 swaps. Good people on there that will actually answer your questions, no smarta$$ comments and traditional nazis like you will get on this site.

10. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

Try not to throw the nazi word around too easily. It's a perfectly valid question. The reason I bark back at frame swaps so quickly is because most of the time they take some mad skills to pull off- and if someone's got those awesome fabrication skills, they're likely not posting a "what should I look for" general question.

If it's got a frame, then it's way smarter to work with what's there. OP hasn't been back, so we don't know what the deal is there.

And CH3N02.... it's not just about if it's a 'no-no' or not- you might get told - by many - to start with a better truck if you can. And if you can't, and the S10 frame is sitting right there, then go to it and take lots of pics for the armchair hot rodders on here that spew recycled rhetoric to make themselves sound good.

I've never done an S10 swap. I'm fairly confident I can make what I need for my ride, but I certainly don't have the skills for something like that. Some do, some don't. I'm a 'don't'.

I've seen the finished product though, more than once. One that I think that was "The Great Rat Mother: That which should not be."

Pretty as a butter loving country girl with rented tooth.

11. CH3NO2

CH3NO2

The truck I'm looking at has a cab amd hood in fair condition, and comes with a title. Around here, if the truck has a title, its either not worth having, or the owner thinks it's worth a mint. I'm trying to resist the urge to 'bob' it, even though I kinda like how it looks, just not on this body.

For me, an S10 frame swap seems like the most viable option. I have considered just starting from scratch on a frame, but I really want to get this on the road reasonably quick, without spending a ton of money. (I'm going back to school in the next few weeks)

I'm not going to say that a frame swap is for everyone, or for every vehicle. I've got an S10, and hopefully I can find the rest of the sheetmetal to finish the body, or at least front fenders (flatbeds don't bother me). So for me, it looks like the plan that makes the most sense.

Am I the most accomplished fabricator? Not by a long shot. But with any luck, I can have a presentable DD out of this deal, that I can enjoy the way I want. Hell, it might even get my LS1 out of my Camaro.

12. is this an old thread or am i official getting old ?

13. new thread
    old topic
    not sure on your age

maybe you better try some ginkgo memory aiding tea before it's too late...
    [​IMG]

best S10 frame thread on the HAMB: (closed)
    lotta BS, but plenty of good info and pictures

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274702

I'm OK with modern frame swaps or clips if the machine has fenders, especially if it puts some old iron back on the road and/or brings young guys into the hobby.

Some young guys eventually see the light and spread the word...

With that said, in the 80's I clipped a Ford F1 with 69 Camaro disc brake suspension. Notched in back, Camaro rearend. Big sway bars front and back. Muncie 4 speed with a tunnel rammed solid lifter BBC (that you could close the hood on).

THAT WAS A FUN TRUCK!! Cornered like a Camaro and hauled ass. Looked like a moderately lowered old truck with nice tires. If you put a load in the bed, it better be tied down. Oh... it had shiney paint.

And it's still roaming the streets of SoCal.

I've seen a couple cleanly installed S10 frames in AD trucks. Then there's the abortion catagory.

One guy used the S10 floor, firewall, pedals and dash!! Then pop rivited and Silly Puttied a buncha patches bridging the gaps to the rusted out cowl and cab. I woulda' been embarrassed to bring that thing to a show. In fact, I've scrapped better shit than that.

14. SWAMPDONKEY

SWAMPDONKEY

love mine . drive it everyday (not the winter months in Maine) . 1984 ext s10 frame . I dont get me wrong i love the stock stuff . but 85 mph in 5 gear on the highway is pretty awesome . The thing about Hotrod's is you can do whatever YOU want . It's yours . your always going to piss someone off . my 2 cents

15. 47 owner

47 owner

that's what make America, the land of the free, expressing our opinions. But don"t hate, u my brother from a different mother. Let's work together to make our rides enjoyable.

16. Insane 49

Insane 49

You're in luck I just did one about 3 months ago, and MOST of them will work. (no standard cab short boxes or anything 4 - wheel drive, wheel track is 2" wider.) The easiest one to get your hands on, (at least around these parts) is the '82 - '85 standard cab long box followed by the '82 - '93 extended cab short box. I used an '04 extended cab short box for mine because i got a smokin' deal on it and it had the ZQ-8 suspension. You'll need to fabricate your own mounting tabs for the body, and if it's a 4 cylinder model you'll have to change the lower engine mounts to a 4.3 V-6. Then you can bolt in your favorite small block. This will also slam the shit out of it and still have a great ride and full travel depending on how you do your body mounts. I had to extensively modify my inner fender wells to clear the upper control arms and the factory core support got heavily modified as well due to the steering box. Also had to fabricate some bumper brackets because when i did this i built a bunch of body drop into it. Hope this helps you out.

17. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

This question always comes from the FNGs. They just don't quite understand "traditional hotrod and custom"

Take every S10 frame swap thread on the HAMB and delete them. What do you get? The HAMB as it was meant to be.

So you don't have an original chassis? Ever hear of a swap meet? HAMB classifieds? Owens Salvage? Get off your lazy ass and FIND a frame for your truck. READ the HAMB and learn how to work on it yourself. STUDY nice examples at every car show you can attend. LISTEN to those that have done it and TRY to save and preserve a piece of another era. DON'T come to the HAMB looking for an easy, sleazy, ride. Those are called KIT CARS and the S10 Frame Swap has evolved into just that.

To be faithful to the mission of this forum, you would endeavor to use vintage parts or faithful reproductions, use modifications common in the eras before the mid 1960s and avoid mixing in materials of later technology. I build hotrod chassis that are well short of traditional in that I generally update things a bit more than would really fit with the HAMB charter. Even so, I don't do Mustang II or S10 based stuff because they are far too compromising in their purpose to be terribly good at anything. Generally speaking, they are an easy way to skimp on doing things right. Just so you don't think I'm a hit and run basher, I'll extend an offer to discuss other optins with you. There are many to read about on the HAMB and you see all the debate that comes with each one. My PM box is always open and I don't mind getting on the phone or meeting up to really dig into the technical details. I'll wager that you change your mind when you start learning the real issues with this approach.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  18. orange52

orange52

If you were closer I'd cut you a good deal on an S10 Longbed frame with a V8.
    I started down the S10 swap path and decided it just wasn't what I wanted.

19. Clark

Clark

Scotty...I wish I could be as "cool" as you but I'm just a looser with a S-10 framed truck.

What's more traditional??? Putting an older body on a newer chassis...sorta like they did with model A's on 32 chassis. OR building a box tube frame with catelevered coil overs???

Using an S-10 chassis is just a cheap easy alternative. It's something and inexperianced guy can do.

Now I have nothing against what you are building. It looks like you are going the extra mile to build what you want. But when you open your mouth and bag on other people you open yourself up.

The HAMB has changed a lot since I joined. At first it was about helping each other and cool traditionaly styled cars. Now it's about who is cool enough to point out what is traditional and what is not. Drama!! I usually don't get involved but the "I am better than you" crowd pisses me off!

It woulda been sooooo easy just to let someone answer the guy and let it die.......BUT NO!

Since it s so offencive PM Ryan and Tell him to delete the tech article in the archives and get rid of the S-10 tech! I won't be offended. Hell get rid of all the tech I did.
    Clark

20. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Do what makes you happy and satisfied with your truck. Half the the fuckers tellin u it's not "traditional" to do a swap have a m2, nova, camaro clip in their car or truck. Don't get me started on newer style rear ends too..nowadays it's almost impossible to build traditional to a tee.....unless you rich.

21. Good AD Chevy/GMC pickup frames are not hard to find, since they made them for 9 years. You might even pick one up cheap from somebody doing an S-10 frame swap:). It's a straight ladder type frame that lends itself to about any drivetrain and suspension you want to put on it, Chassis Engineering has everything you need. Getting the sheet metal to line up right is way easier when it's sitting on the right frame.

22. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Oh yea... Forgot about all the t-5's everybody uses too. That's accepted....? Frame swap... What's the difference?

23. xxzzy999

xxzzy999

"HEEEE'S BAAAACK!" Mr. Narcissist... killin folks dream one post at a time....

24. rev616

rev616

25. It looks like this may have devolved into one of those 'traditional' vs 'period correct' type of threads. As was said earlier, it's your truck... run wild be free. Clark laid it out pretty well in his post.

As for me... do what you want. Every time I log onto the HAMB, I learn something. Like I was taught along time ago. "every 'person' you meet, will teach you how to be a better person. Some will have qualities to emulate, others to avoid."

26. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

the first series regular cab long box has the closest wheel base. i put one under my truck with an kit specifically made by advanced design, or somthing like that. nice quality. but like i always do, i cut it up to drop the body down lower :)

27. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

A trans upgrade is hotrodding, and in the case of the T5, usually about keeping and old flathead or inline six viable in the world of super freeways and 75 mph speedlimits. This frame swap could be upgrading an old truck, or redressing a new one. It depends on your focus. The HAMB is supposed to focus on hotrodding not minitruckin'.

Just cuz I heard you in the next room...

AD Engineering is who you mean. Very nice kit. http://www.ad-engineering.com/HOMEPAGE.html Still off-topic.

28. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

My 3 speed does just fine on the freeway(I-10) .no need for a t5. It's the other jackasses on the interstate Doin 10-15 over the speed limit u gotta worry about

29. I wanna see this set-up.

30. 47 owner

47 owner