Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 53 Flathead carb jetting/over fueling help?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Tim G, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Tim G

Tim G

A good friend of mine has a 53 Ford Victoria custom with it's original or at least period correct flathead V8 in it. It has an original carb on it but seems to be over fueling massively!

It starts ok and runs and drives but smokes badly, smells rich and chokes up on a run. it also does about 5mpg :eek: Checked the compression, timing etc and all seems ok, i had a look at the carb and to me the main jets look too big, the hole size is 1.5mm and by the look of it they have been drilled out. Can anyone tell what sort of size they should be, where to get them or at least tell me someone who would know or a website to head for?

Thanks

[​IMG]

2. rafael

rafael
    from Moody AFB

go to vintage speed,
    http://www.vintagespeed.com/
    i have 49 jets in my holley 94, it would problably be better with 50's. they sell them all there.
    i believe stock jets that come with a rebuild are 51's and a 7.5 power valve.
    take your vacumm reading and find out how much your pulling and basically divide it by 2 and that should be the PV you need.
    im sure theres a math formula or some fancy way of getting that # for the PV but i've always done it that way and its worked out good for me.
    good luck
    Raf

3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Also check to see if your choke plate could be partially closing during acceleration.
    Dickster27 can also sell you some jets.

4. Ole don

Ole don

Check the air filter. I have seen those small aftermarket air filters restrict so much the carb ran rich all day. See if removing it clears up part of the problem.

5. Tim G

Tim G

Thanks for the replies on this guys, i've only just got the car back in to have a look at hence the long time replying. The jets are currently 59's so maybe too big

Good call on the shitty air filter ole don, i have tried it but unfortunately it doesn't help.

6. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

Change to .050 jets ,check power valve. Bad power valve could cause all the problem you speak of.

7. Zurekbrau

Zurekbrau

It takes just one back fire and the power valve will pour gas in to your intake.

Rich

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

59 is BIG, and I fully agree that you need to test it without the chrome aircleaner. Those range from barely adequate to full choke, depending on source of the element!
    Don't have books handy, but the 049-051 range mentioned above cover common stock sizes. What model is the carb...letters and/or numbers on left side of bowl.
    You clearly have an actual rich condition, but remember that the stock '49-53 distrib very often fails to advance adequately, so once you feel like you are getting close to right check that out. Running retarded can mimic rich effects and also exacerbate actual rich conditions.

9. Tim G

Tim G

Is the power valve the gizmo in the bottom of the float bowl? excuse my ignorance, i've only had experience with webber IDF and Solex carbs before really. how does it work exactly?

The carb has 94 cast into it and 15/16 stamped into it, i guess that's the venturi size.

10. 19Fordy

19Fordy

11. Might pay to check your needle and seat and float level, I had a 2 x 97 carbs on my 36 coupe was going through the gas and running like a pig one carb the float level was too high and the gas was just pooring in, just my 2 cents worth.

12. desotot

desotot

float level and power valve would be the first two concerns.

13. 32Gnu

32Gnu

Float check...
    Me and my front 94 went around and around not long ago.. Had a hole in it causing it to submarine.. Swapped for another and bam! Ran like a top.. Until I popped a head gasket....

14. Tim G

Tim G

Thanks for all the advice guys, I've ordered a set of 51's a new power valve and air filter for Dickster27. When they get here i'll check the vacuum, float levels etc and hopefull we'll have her purring like a kitten...

Merry Xmas!

15. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Same question - differant carb... 53 Merc has a 97 and we are in the process of changing th manifold and will be going with a Rochester G2 carb... Would the jet size be the same? Any recommendation... Motor is stock

16. JesseJerk

JesseJerk
    from Las Vegas

I just through the same thing. Chased my tail for a bit. I rebuilt the carb still same problem. Hotter plugs ran good for a day or 2. New Edlebrock 94... runs great. I think my carb was just old and worn out. even rebuilding it didn't work. I also put a Pertronix Ignitor in it. Runs great now.
    Oh I also went back to the stock fuel pump and ditched the electric one that was in the car when I got it.

17. Hugh in NC

Hugh in NC

If running an electric fuel pump you need to regulate the fuel pressure down to no more that 2.5 psi. Any pressure greater will cause flooding.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  18. JesseJerk

JesseJerk
    from Las Vegas

Even the stock fuel pump puts out more than 2.5. I still have to run a regulator.