Register now to get rid of these ads!

misused discriptions that irritate or annoy you

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustdodger, Aug 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. "Needs restored" is really starting to grate. I form a very poor opinion of anyone who writes this.

"Very unique" - it either is unique or it isn´t. There are no degrees of uniqueness.

2. Saw an ad the other day listing an El Camino. It had a "cow" hood and a "tunnel" cover.. It was in good "conditions".............

3. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

THANK YOU!

My shop teacher use to say that all the time and I couldnt stand it...

4. Sweepspear

Sweepspear

:D That's a good one!

5. canerat

canerat

I don't understand the ads that end, "pics will be posted later". Why not take the pictures and then run the ad? And why is one tiny picture with half your yard and a couple of kids in it deemed acceptable?

6. fifTsix

fifTsix
    from TEXAS

I like hot rods

7. People who list a "bumber" for sale. Its BUMPER. There are a couple hundred idiots selling something on eBay now for a bumber. And it isn't a typo as they continue to spell it that way in the ad as well.

8. Bumber, finder, I see them both all the time and they're usually "for sell"
    On an unrelated note, I hear more and more people saying, "expecially". WTF????

9. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

Re: misused discriptions.....
    Last week I drove my 39' to the local Subway Sandwich joint. The girl behind the counter told me that her uncle had a Cherry Dodge Charger. She said it was fast because it had a "4-2-7" Hemi in it.
    I wanted to enjoy my sandwich, so I didn't even try to correct her.

10. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

One I have been seeing on the rise lately is calling a bumper a fender... I can understand it if you are talking to someone from another country calling a fender a wing, but calling a bumper a fender??

That sort of thing makes me want to expecially drug there a$$eS acrost the room with my bumber... I'll post pics later.

11. carnut341

carnut341

Barn find!!!!!!!!

12. Terrible80

Terrible80

How about rpms and mpgs.:mad: It's rpm / mpg.

13. jipp

jipp

Don't get me started on Cadillac converters.[/QUOTE]

the standard for the world?
    heh.
    chris.

14. butch nassau

butch nassau

Old skool...I was around then and nobody called it skool.

This term is usually reserved for some total piece of rusted junk the seller cannot find any other description to use.

15. An "Engine" is what's under your hood. --- A "Motor" is what starts it!

"Traditional Hot Rod" --- Has an Art Morrison chassis, air bag suspension, electronic fuel injection and a freakin' AM/FM stereo with CD player.

And don't even get me started on all the billet crap.

WTF

16. toolz1175

toolz1175
    from IL

The "rim" thing really bugs me. When a friend says he bought some new "rims", I say "couldn't you afford the whole wheel"?

17. toolz1175

toolz1175
    from IL

Didn't read the whole thread, but the most overused term for the young crowd is "stroker" as in "I've got a 347 STROKER in my mustang". Well, if it's a 347, it has to have a longer stroke if built from a 302. Same guy has a 383 STROKER in his Chevy pickup. F'n drives me nuts. I don't call my 572 Hemi a STROKER!!

And then there's NOSSSSSSS

18. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

If anyone says they have NOS stab them in the eye with a fork, it's the only way they'll learn... NOS is a brand, Nitrous is a gas GET IT RIGHT!

A kid local to me who is just getting into old cars (Nice kid, I think he was raised under a rock in a cave though) and he calls everything by the brand instead of what it is, it can be confusing to decipher what he is talking about sometimes... He calls antifreeze Prestone... I think he calls brake fluid Prestone as well though...

19. bowtie40

bowtie40

How about my favorite... "ready for restoration"

20. dwaynerz

dwaynerz

no rust. needs floors. or, in primer, ready for your finishing touch. as in touch it by sanding off all the primer to see what sins and horrors lie beneath? and who said his primer was going to be compatible with your paint?

what about all it needs to run is xxxxx, usually a $20 part. if its 20 bucks, go get it, replace it and up the asking price a few hundred.

no title. should be easy to get means i havent been successful, but you give it a try.

21. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

Just seen this on craigslist a few minutes ago. It fits well here.

53 Chrysler New Yorker (some assembly required) have most parts except transmission and bumpers + extra door and fender. almost no rust. consider all offers.<!-- START CLTAGS -->

22. Gman0046

Gman0046

Last week my neighbor was telling me about a hot rod corvette he once owned that had a 3/4 inch cam/

23. burnout2614

burnout2614

Recently at a show saw a nice camaro. The owner wrote camero on the display card. I would have stabbed him in the eye with a pen but I had to wipe the dust off my rat rod. peace

24. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

It always amuses me when someone talks of loosing something :D

If I see it too often I might just lose it ;)

25. A Boner

A Boner

Another boring SBC.

26. Cadillacjerk

Cadillacjerk

"battleship" referring to a V8 intake (probably an Alberta thing)
    "3rd member" conflicting definitions - ring gear? the rear diffy? the whole rear end?
    "diffy" really?
    "front rear end" again.. really? either it is the front differential as in 4x4 or perhaps a tandem truck
    "hearst, hurst, hearste" as in a funeral coach

27. Or the variation" Great restoration project"

Great? Yeah because it completely screwed! :D

28. How about "needs rear taillights"

Thank god because the front taillights are a rare hard to find part to be sure.

29. hotrodchevy

hotrodchevy

My favorite "selling for a friend, don't have much information" WHY NOT GET INFO BEFORE LISTING OR STAY OUT OF IT ALL TOGETHER.....

30. 68ragtop

68ragtop
    from Texas

Yea rare what a joke the guy posting the post has no idea what Rare even means. LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.