Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old engines,metal fatigue?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Truckedup, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Truckedup

Truckedup

A lot of us have vintage engine that get abused from time to time.I'm figuring you guys running Olds,Pontiac,Caddy, Hemi etc engines are using original type cranks and rods.I assume aside from Chevy V-8's,some Mopars and Fords and later Pontiac that new cranks and rods aren't available?
    Many of these crankshafts and rods have gone many miles in a previous lif.e So is metal fatigue an issue especially when the engine is been modified?

2. krooser

krooser

One word..magnaflux.

3. Lucky3

Lucky3

Wet mag particle (mpi) inspection.

4. But isn't that part of the rush and excitement, being close to an engine potentially grenading?

I suppose if you have enough $$$, you can get anything made, though -- billet cranks, custom H-beam rods and all that.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Most old engines (before the seventies) were built so strong metal fatigue won't be a factor for 100 years or 1,000,000 miles unless you hop them up. Even then, up to double stock HP and you can still have a reasonable life.

I've noticed a lot of old engines hopped up with the latest expensive high zoot parts, seem to blow up faster than they did back in the day with stock parts. Don't go any faster either.