Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford Shoebox / Hydro-boost

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ottoparts, Nov 11, 2011.

1. I've done some reading and searching on hydro-boosts.
    I acquired one along with the pedal assembly from a 78 Lincoln.
    Anyone have pictures of a hydro-boost in a 49/50/51 Ford shoebox?
    I would like to see how they fit.
    Thanks

2. hupster

hupster
    from california

I'm using a hydro-boost from a Chevy Astro van in my 51 wagon. Here are a few pics. I choose it for the great brakes as well as I was able to mount it on the firewall and still keep the fresh air vent.

Attached Files:

3. Generally the unit mounts just like a vaccuum booster, tends to be smaller, just requires lines off the power steering pump hooked to it to work. They're probably overkill on something as light as a shoebox Ford, though.

4. Thanks for the info.
    I understand how they work. I've put them in a couple of different rigs. I just have not seen anyone run in a shoebox and was interested in seeing some.

Hupster, what is the pedal assembly you are using? Thanks for the pics.

5. woodienut

woodienut
    from So.Cal.

Lite? I wish, my early '50 is 4,000 Lbs +. with a aluminium head SB Chev. and 700R4. Their not THAT lite, lots of glass, steel, spare tire hanging off the tailgate and of course wood. The good news is that the weight distribution is very close to 50-50. The more brakes the better, I wish I had done the Hydro boost, I mounted mine under the floor, it causes issues with a very low car. Had to put a skid plate under it just in case. I'm looking forward to more posts.

Attached Files:

6. woodienut

woodienut
    from So.Cal.

Indecently an aluminum drive-shaft out of a late model Crown Vic Cop car fit right in with new U-joints. Cheap ($50) and plentiful in the bone yard.

7. hupster

hupster
    from california

Hupster, what is the pedal assembly you are using? Thanks for the pics.[/QUOTE]

I used the whole set-up from the Astro van.

8. woodienut

woodienut
    from So.Cal.

Good question? It was so long ago I don't remember. Maybe Fatman, I used their front clip. Sorry