Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Kid that walked into the Shop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48chrysler, Nov 13, 2011.

1. I like your story, your coupe, and your friends..even though I don't know them.

2. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Great story, and a couple good looking rides! The guys in the club sound like good solid people!

3. RodStRace

RodStRace

4. Love the coupe, man!

Great story! I started playing music professionally in clubs when I was 19. That was in 1979. At that time I always played with the old cats and was referred to as "the kid". It dawned on me a while back that now I'm the old guy. I'm not sure exactly when that happened and it's kind of hard to get my head around it.

My point is, you're on your way to becoming one of the old guys - the father figure - the big brother figure. Make sure you pass on what you've learned and help a youngster seeking knowledge when the opportunity presents itself. Of course, your part in your experience was that you were humble and eager to learn. Humility opens a lot of doors. So many young guys already know it all, if you know what I mean!

Thanks for sharing.

^^RodStRace - Love your signature. There's a lot of wisdom hidden in that phrase.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

That coupe rules...

6. bobbooth

bobbooth
    from limeyland

Respect breeds respect, Great story

7. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

cool story, nice coupe

8. Keep

Keep

Very cool story, thanks for sharing.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great story that should serve as a reminder that we need to take a "kid" or guy who wants to build a car but doesn't have the knowledge or developed skills under our wing once in a while.

When I was teaching auto mechanics a few of the students in class new that I often worked on my own projects on weekends in the shop and a couple of them often came out and spent the day working on their own projects. They often got a lot more done during a few hours on a Saturday than they would have in several weeks of class time. I saw one of those "kids" Thursday at work when he stopped by and got to visit with him. He has one of the nicest big block Chevelles in the region and always has a repair job going on someone's rig for side money or sometimes to pay the rent.

10. RussTee

RussTee

I think the morel here is you where not laughed at and put down I remember once belonging to a club and a young guy walked in one day with a heap of junk wanting to build a rod out of it he would have done money no matter how much work he put into it he was ridiculled and put down not the way to go he should have been mentored and shown the right path he was keen and given the right advise would have been a good member well done your club

11. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Dude you're cool. You got my respect. Nice work. Joe

12. slepe67

slepe67

Great story, great attitude! If I could only get my 13 year old son to drop the X-Box remote and head out to the shop...

13. Tin Can

Tin Can

Very cool story. Awsome to see you hang out with the guys that probabally tought your grandpa things and yor grandpa tought them too. I really like your coupe

14. the other me

the other me

Great story, thanks for sharing. Cool rides you've as well...your grandpa would be proud!

15. Man, that's kind of sad.

16. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Very well written and enjoyable story. Car rules too!

Awesome read on a rainy Tucson morning. Thank you.

17. I'm impressed... not just the car but your writing...

Have you had a chance to read any of C9's old posts? I say that because your writing style is similar! ("That's a very good thing"!)

18. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

this is a morning for great stories on the HAMB. thank you! Cool cars by the way..

19. richie rebel

richie rebel

great story, badass coupe, take it to the bank................

20. whid

whid

good story.......whid

21. brady1929

brady1929

22. Nice story, nicer coupe!

23. brad chevy

brad chevy

Well written story,hell of a job on the car. You are a lucky man to have been able to learn from somebody that cared. Now pass it on .

24. Old&Low

Old&Low

You made my day 'kid!' Some posts here make me wonder about the future of 'Old Time Hot Rodding,' but your post and your obvious talent give us all hope. Thanks

25. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

this post kinda was a flash back,i've been out of the car thing for around 20yrs,well in that time i took up building choppers,everybody around here knows i play with bikes,
    well one day i working/welding on my wife's bobber with my back to the street & i get this feeling that someone's watching me???out the corner of my eye i see the 14yr old neighbor boy sitting on his newly found POS dirt bike,just sitting there watching.......so i call over to [Blue-thats his real name] & ask whats up?he sheepishly walks over & ask if i could look at his bike?sure drag it over.man what a piece of sheeett!i tear into it,well the carb is all gummed up-no biggy i start cleaning it with this wide eyed kid looking on like i was doing open heart surgery.i ask how come his dad didn't help him? he busy!busy drinking beer!!!& has no time for stupid sh*t,,,WTF!
    so i held shop 101 in my drive way for a couple hours i was the cool old guy..kinda like the ones that had helped me out so many years ago--well to make a long story shorter--Blue is now 17 & comes over every once-n-while to see what going on,but he now does almost all work on his mom & dads cars & trucks & charges his dad to change the oil & do a tune up!:D
    kids are the future of roddin-N-wrenchen! i always try to help the kids out,sometimes i don't get my own stuff done--but it will all work out in the end!:rolleyes:

26. 48chrysler

48chrysler
    from Indiana

Thank you guys for all the responses. I love the HAMB and probably spend way to much time on here. I don't always have a lot to say but this site has always been a big help.

27. Ditto on that. Reading your story made my morning. Great writing and great cars, keep using those skills (both automotive and journalistic). Thanks for sharing.

28. AKA Kustoms

AKA Kustoms
    from Racine, WI

Amen!

Great story, and that is one sharp coupe!

29. Old&Low

Old&Low

Thank your Grandma for 'steering' you to that group of 'car guys.'

30. roundvalley

roundvalley

I'm 73 years old. I walked into a garage in Boise full of young guys with some little foreign cars with great big chrome mufflers hanging on the rear bumpers.

You know what / I learned some new things and made some friends that learned about hot rods!