Register now to get rid of these ads!

So Much I Wanted To Do (Cancer Sucks)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48flthdf1, Jul 25, 2011.

1. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

Cancer does SUCK, ALLOT! Keep your head up and keep fighting the good fight. Lost my dad and grandpa to Leukemia, but that's a whole other ball game. Prostate cancer is very controllable and curable.

2. thaugen

thaugen

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/hpfs/pdfs/11News.pdf
    IN THE UNITED STATES, PROSTATE CANCER IS THE MOST COMMON CANCER DIAGNOSED AMONG MEN. Although prostate cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death, most men diagnosed are not likely to die of their disease. Indeed, many men have a slow growing cancer that likely could be left untreated. Some of the important questions in current prostate cancer research revolve around improving cancer survival rates through lifestyle changes. We have generated several key findings during this past year.

Physical activity after cancer diagnosis
    The beneficial health effects of physical activity are diverse, although no study had previously examined whether physical activity after a prostate cancer diagnosis could improve survival. We report for the first time a striking finding whereby the most physically active men with prostate cancer had a significantly lower risk of dying of any cause, as well as a lower risk of cancer death Kenfield et al, J Clinical Oncology. 2011; Feb 20;29(6):726-32. Epub 2011 Jan 4.). Moreover, participating in both non-vigorous forms of activity like brisk walking, as well as vigorous activities such as running, were associated with both lowered overall mortality and improved prostate cancer survival. These data, which need to be confirmed by additional studies, suggest that men can alter lifestyle practices after cancer diagnosis and substantially improve health.

We are now investigating other aspects of physical activity as well as studying additional lifestyle and dietary patterns after prostate cancer diagnosis.
    Our analyses also show that men with lower vitamin D levels may be more likely to develop lethal prostate cancer.The inverse association with coffee was even stronger for aggressive prostate cancer. Men who drank the most coffee had a 60% lower risk of developing lethal prostate cancer. The reduction in risk was seen whether the men drank decaffeinated or regular coffee, and does not appear to be due to caffeine. Even drinking one to three cups of coffee per day was associated with a 30% lower risk of lethal prostate cancer.

3. myron h

myron h

sorry to hear about your fight just remember attitude is a lot of recovering dont give up man fight with all your might

4. Saxxon

Saxxon

I've lost both parents to cancer as well as my father in law and just recently, my dog. My mother in law is a 2 time survivor. This disease is trully the scourge of the earth...

Kind of makes you wonder what is bein done with the billions of $$ that have been raised over the years. Have they made any headway or breakthroughs ??

Maybe we should take the advice given in a MAD TV sketch...
    "We cured cancer"
    "How the hell did we do that??"
    "We gave cancer to 6 of the most powerful men in the world, 6 months later we had a cure"...

5. sbin

sbin

Was talking to a friend of 30 year one evening a few months ago and had plans to get together the next morning.He died in his sleep of a heart attack.47 years old with a son heading to college and a daughter getting ready to turn 16.

Good luck with your treatment.Enjoy every day no one knows how many they have left.

6. snaptwo

snaptwo

"So much I wanted to do" My mindset 6 months ago, friggen' stage 3 lung cancer says the labs. OK, bend over ,put your head between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye. Made my will and started getting rid of "stuff". Got a second opinion from a known oncologist in Newport and was going to start chemo at his clinic. Insurance says no so I go back to the Vegas Dr., he orders another CT and I show up a few days later to start treatment. I come in his exam room and he shuffling through my records and last CT report, What's up Doc? He gives me a quizzical look and asks" what are we treating you for?" I'm thinking to myself , you bozo, what do you mean ? "Lung cancer, I thought" NOPE ! says he and I didn't know what to say!! His explaination was a bad lab test among the ones that were clear. WTF? So I go to another cancer center ,get a PET scan and the diagnoses comes back clear. Went back two weeks ago, did another PET scan and I'm still negative. O K , what to do now? I've going around bummed out and feeling sorry for myself, know what? I'm going to live every day to the fullest ,finish some of the things I gave up on and be very humble and thankful to my family and friends that prayed for me. I have never been a very religious person but my outlook has changed.

7. Akrateffil

Akrateffil

You can beat it! My best friend in his 60s had prostate cancer. About 4 months out of commission, Now you would never know he was dealt such a hand. Prayer is about the best cure out there, you will be in my prayers.
    Andy

8. Gman0046

Gman0046

One of my friends in his mid 60's had Prostate Cancer found on a biopsy after a high PSA reading on a blood test. Had his prostate removed and is good as new. Good luck you to can survive it as well.

9. Alamedasam

Alamedasam

My dear friend is 82 & beat cancer twice. First time in his late 50's was prostate cancer. He almost died. Recently last 2 years he has fought pancreatic cancer & ill be damed he beat that to. I wish you the same results as him. Good luck & keep a very positive attitude. All the best.

10. jinxd

jinxd
    from ohio

I'm prayin' for you 48flthdf1. My Stepdad just passed. He found out 8 yrs ago he had it, but continued to do do what he loved, which was woodworking. He built some of the most beautiful kitchen cabinets you've ever seen. Just sayin' don't give up. He hung in there rite up til the end, then held on til our brother got home from Texas. You and your family are in my prayers.

11. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  12. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

Keep forging ahead we are all behind you.

13. 48flthdf1

48flthdf1

I'd Like to say that everyone has helped me form an attitude that I can't be Beat...I Love to Turn Wrenches..There for that's what I do..My 53 ford should be out of the Garage within a couple of weeks..Then On to My Badass 48 F1 Ford..This project Is not only for Myself, But for my Dad who I Lost this year to the same Damn Cancer..I will not Quit till It's Finished and I drive it..Thanks For All Of the wonderful Incouragement Guys...Scot PS I really have made a career of being in the Garage Every Single Day...Check out my progress on my Sight

14. 48flthdf1

48flthdf1

Oh, by the way..I have been buying new tools like crazy..So I obviously will be sticking around to wear them out...It's All Good

15. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

good attitude.. get busy!:)
    really makes you assess your life when you get news like you got..
    I have had to support myself by turning wrenches since July 29th, when i got laid off after 15 yrs at a county job. Really makes you live life vigorously. No time for slacking,
    so in some smaller way i can identify with you. Keep us updated on your build.
    And your health.. might come up your way next summer, if i get my truck done.
    some of the build is here in the 41-46 chevy truck thread.
    onecrustyone lives up by you, and so does my son and an aunt.
    prayers for you and your family.
    ttyl

16. Great way to move forward....DON"T look back!!....lotsa miles ahead!

Murph

17. fts55

fts55
    from guthrie ok

I hate to hear about your condition. Lost my dad Dec 2 2010 to cancer that he only knew he had for 2 weeks. You have to keep your head up brother, like dad said, "Either get busy livin' or get busy dyin'" and he lived until the moment he died. I hope you live a long happy life.

18. One more p. cancer survivor here. It's a walk in the park compared to more aggressive
    types. Lost an old friend, finally, last week to Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. He fought it for
    nine years, three years beyond the experts best guesses. How???? WITH A POSITIVE
    ATTITUDE!

19. 48flthdf1

48flthdf1

People Don't really understand how fast you can get things done..When your on a timeline...I Just Dropped the Motor in my 1953 Customline...Check it out on my sight

20. jtc1180

jtc1180

Brother,-I'll give you a brief story of my cancer and how I coped. Sep 14 2009 diagnosed with unknown stage colon cancer,started aggressive chemo & radiation the next day. Felt alone,abandoned .. THEN GOT PISSED !! Been told all my life that I was stubborn & bullheaded, it was about time I made use of it. Went,(trembling & weak ) to Pull-a-Part and local auto parts stores at least twice a week during my treatment didn't do much of anything,just knew that cancer was"stalking" me and if I stayed still it might really get me.Had surgery Dec 2 2009,very intense but successfull. Been clear for almost 2 yrs. It (any personal life threatening illness) will suck you dry if you let it.It works on your mind hard. It's ok to be scared,you'd be in denial if you weren't !! Keep yourself focused on your "win" & "survival" strategies. The mind REALLY is the strongest organ in the body. Better things are ahead my friend !! JC

21. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

I'm sorry to read about your news. I can't say much that hasn't already been said except you have a lot of support here in the HAMB. You guys all rock.
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
    Dave

X2 Bruce

22. Soreback

Soreback

Be strong, God be with you and your family.

23. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

"Strange things happen in this world"...:cool:

24. Looks like the 53 will be ready for a burnout soon!
    Keep the wrenches turning. I'm waitin' to see the F1.

Here's a link to Scot's '53 photo album.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/album.php?albumid=25814

25. FormerFueler

FormerFueler

Be happy you got it diagnosed, I lost a child to cancer because the doctor did not know what he was looking for.

26. jodell

jodell
    from Irvine, CA

It is great to hear that your diagnosis was just a lab f-up. Live every day to the fullest as you never know, cancer or not, when your ticket gets punched. I hope the project in your garage brings you lots of enjoyment.

Jeff

27. 48flthdf1

48flthdf1

I wish that was me...That Was Novadude55...

28. olpaul

olpaul

Our buddy Gene Winfield is 84 and still painting cars. He's a vegan. Eats like a grazing elk. Diet is important. We're all praying with you. God bless.

29. I am sorry to hear about the news... but man, kick cancer's ass and get that truck going!

Sam

30. MemphisRaines

MemphisRaines
    from Texas

Hang in there brother! It has to be mind over matter. It's your positive mind that will overcome the matter.