Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 50 Steering & Suspension

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jamesgardner, Nov 11, 2011.

1. jamesgardner

jamesgardner

My name is James - I'm new to this site.

I got a 50 shoebox about 5 months ago and completely rebuilt it and got on the road. I put airbags in and it's pretty low. Problem: It is more work than it should be to keep it in a lane: Bad bump steer. Does anyone have any ideas to help or what kind of steering to put in this car to help? I also need some longer lower control arms or shorter upper control arms to align it. Any suggestions?

Thank you,
    James

Attached Files:

2. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

Sounds like you need at least 5 degrees of positive caster if everything is in good shape as far as ball joints etc. king pins or whatever you have. good luck

3. captainflight

captainflight

Do a search on this site and you wll find lots of info. Also, go to www.shoeboxford and you will be on the best site there is for '49-51 Fords. The owners of the site are also the world's largest supplier of parts for these cars.

4. Ole don

Ole don

If all the wear parts are in good shape, try this. Remove the springs and jack the suspension all the way through its movement and record the steering angle. You may find that a serverly lowered car is at the extreem of its designed in tolerances.