Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cadillac Flathead ? All information welcome.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jaypee, Sep 1, 2004.

1. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

I'm working a deal with this old fella for a pretty decent one. Found out about the Cyclone heads, and the tranny adapter plates from Bob over at Tranny Adapters. Now for the intakes???????? What was made for these beasts in a multi-carb set up? Someone posted an ebay link awhile back of one with Edmunds Heads & Intake, very nice but the guy wanted serious $'s for the whole setup, it didn't sell.

Any ideas for intakes????? sources???

2. makke

makke

Well, I have Cadillac flatty soon too; actually there are two engines with automatic transmissions. I will bring those heavy things home after two weeks. One is OK, but don't be in use 30 years. Another have to dig under the ground. :(
    I heard some story about these engines (told by old man who owned these two engines before me). These engines were originally ment to use in light tanks in middle Europe. Then engines don't need no more and those useless new engines were sold all ower the Europe to some flying clubs. They used these engines in machine which pull sliders in sky. That's why still can find almost unused Cadillac flatty's in Finland.

3. Makke, it's not uncommon to find unused Cadillac flatheads still in crates in Australia either. The Caddy officianados here tell me they pop up every now and then.....just wish they'd pop up while I'm looking!!

Keep us posted on the "dig". A fellow I bought my LaSalle box off told me he buried a Cad motor about 50metres up the road from his house, 'cos he could drag it but couldn't lift it (enough to go to the dump anyhow). It's now covered by housing.

4. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

Makke, great to hear the news! The story you have been told is straight like mine one, but I quess that's not so typical way to go. I've heard these engines have been used in Sisu (or something like that) trucks in Finland...???!!!

By the way, there was a nice article in The Rodders Journal (#24?) which was said some firm is going to manufacture repro aluminium heads for 346-V8 again. I will check the name later from my magazine.

5. Attitudor: that'd be the Cyclone heads by Cook's Machine. Cyclone Kev is a HAMBer (every so often). If you email him, he might send you pics of the heads. VERY VERY nice, they are.

6. makke

makke

I never head about it. I try to find information out from Internet, but no results. But heaven knows what they use earli days in Sisu. Later engines mostly were Cummins diesel engines.

7. kenergy

kenergy

I have a 37 motor and trans going into an abortion - here are some photos of some parts. I am always buying this shit for some reason. I have a pair of edmunds heads, an eddie edmunds intake and a mallory dual point dist. for it.

8. kenergy

kenergy

more

9. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

WOW, such a cool parts you got there!

10. makke

makke

Heh, I am moved up rusted car parts from swamp and some little lake.
    Those another engine which I bought is into ground and seller don't remember exact place.
    Now I have to loan some metal detector that I can find it.
    It is worth of dig up because it's not been there many years and it was almost unused when they put it into ground.
    We Finnish are just crazy with these old parts... especially me. ;) Shame on me!

11. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

I checked this out, it was TRJ issue #26 and it really was Cyclone too. Here's a link http://www.cycloneracingequip.com/ for their web sites but any Cad heads weren't available yet.

Kenergy: Are those ones showed in yours pictures the brand new Cyclone units? How much did they cost? Which spark plugs are used?

12. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

I'll answer that one for Kenergy:
    Yep, those are the brand new heads made off 65+ yr old patterns that we had @ Cook's, as you can see by the jpgs, they still work mighty fine!;) The pictures that are above of the Cyclone head are what will be available. I have 3 protoptype sets that have now been pre-sold. According to the foundry they are a real pain to cast, I can explain in an e-mail. The retail price may be $1495.00 :confused: It all depends on what happens @ the foundry:eek: So the pic above was taken in my living room on the carpet for that nice contrast. None have been released as of yet, but will be soon!!!!!
    Taking orders now!!!!!;)
    Kevin

13. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

Thanks for good info. I like the fact you are able to cast these cool repro heads! Unfortunately I'm currently running out of cash but I might be interested later. One question still: What kind of spark plugs do these new heads use? The original small plugs seems to be quite complicated to find.

Mika

14. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

They are drilled to accept 14mm spark plugs so you can run whatever heat you want.

15. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

OK, thanks.

Mika