Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford T5 tilted towards driver? Bellhousing?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by telecaster_6, Nov 10, 2011.

1. telecaster_6

telecaster_6

I just set up the motor mounts in my 32 for the 351w. The motor is dead nuts level measured off the motor mount bolts, and with an angle finder off the carb base plate. But when i peeked inside the car i notice that the transmission is tilted towards the drivers side a good 10-15 degrees. I've heard of chevy tilting their t5's but not ford. I have checked the numbers on the trans and its an 87-93 mustang V8 trans.

I've searched high and low and cant find any evidence that ford ever made a bellhousing that tilted the trans like this. Anyone have any ideas?

2. Mines dead level

3. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

Is the trans bolted to the bell housing turned? Maybe the holes in the ears on the trans are oblonged

4. Ole don

Ole don

Pull the tranny and put the bolts back in and lay a level on the bolts.

5. alchemy

alchemy

Maybe you have a Camaro tailhousing on a Mustang trans (or some other odd combo)?

6. bobscogin

bobscogin

Camaro T5 had the "tilt" built in to the bellhousing. When used behind a "conventional" bellhousing, the stick would be straight up.

Bob

7. Judd

Judd

On later model Mustangs the bell housing rotates the trans to the driver. 87 to 93 trans input shaft is to short to work with this bell housing though.

8. telecaster_6

telecaster_6

The bellhousing is correct for the trans.

Bellhousing # E6ZR-6394-AA which makes it a factory stock T5 bellhousing
    Trans # 1352-251-08461 which makes it a Tremec version T5 79'-93'

So the trans and bellhousing are correct. The bellhousing is at 0 degrees at the top where it bolts to the motor, but the whole trans is off 5 degrees towards the driver.

9. 5wcoupehunter

5wcoupehunter
    from FLORIDA

Just get an older bell housing , that will make it stright. The newer ones are not stright.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  10. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

Ford didn't rotate the T5 towards the driver, GM did rotate T5's 15 degrees by rotating the bolt pattern on the bell housing. since yours is 5 degrees off I wonder if someone had that trans in a different car, and it need the rotation for it to work so they may have slotted holes in the main case a little (or it got run with the bolts a little loose, and wobbeled the holes out some). I'd loosen the bolts, and see if the trans will rotate back so that it's at 0.

11. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

Maybe once the floor is in and your seat is in it wont seem so bad?

12. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Thats the way it was made. They all do that in a ford mustang. I dont know what the hell some of these answers are coming from here?
    You dont have to fix anything.

Also curious about the numbers being 87-93 trans? They should point to a specific year/make, not some vague description.

Ratball56 likes this.
  13. Joe's 32 Ford Sedan

Joe's 32 Ford Sedan

I am building a new 32 sedan with a small block Ford with a quicktime bell housing and a Tremic 5 speed. I was puzzled because the trans was off to the drivers side 10 degrees.I measure 10 time and cut once and it was still
    off. I called quicktime and they said yes its drilled off 10 degrees because of the different trans bolt patent. can't see it making any difference.

14. Joe's 32 Ford Sedan

Joe's 32 Ford Sedan

Sorry its off 5 degress

15. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

My list shows 1352-251 being an aftermarket (Tremec as in post #8) close-ratio World Class (2.76 first ratio) for 93 - previous 5.0 V8.

16. mrforddude

mrforddude

I distinctly remember from my fox body mustang days that they were definately tilted just a little towards the driver...I just thought it was so you could really rip the shifter out of the trans...well, I am a hot rodder with a severe hate for rubber

17. 5wcoupehunter

5wcoupehunter
    from FLORIDA

Ford did rotate the T- 5 just not as much as GM.

18. badshifter

badshifter

Guys that think you can have 5 degrees of slop from wear don't own a protractor.
    5 degrees is a TON. It was made that way.

19. leroys85coupe

leroys85coupe
    from usa

ive owned 7 mustangs and none have been tilted that much. i just went and looked at a stock 92 bellhousing, and the holes, w bolts in them are level so i aint much help boss

20. MTRodder

MTRodder
    from Laurel, MT

looked at some pictures of a build i finished this summer with a ford T-5 and my shifter is tilted towards the driver also. Not a lot but noticeably. I know for certain there is no wear in any of the bolts and that my setup is all original from a driving 1993 mustang 5.0. They made them that way from the factory and i see no reason the be concerned with it. Hope this helps.

21. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Right as rain...and as another said, "Where are all these 'answers' coming from?"

Some of the replies were more than 5 degrees off...

22. wisdonm

wisdonm

The Ford T-5 bell housing is tilted. Mustangs Unlimited sell an adapter and a longer imput shaft, if you can't live with it.

When I installed a T3350, I could use my old straight-up Toploader bell housing because a T3550 is straight-up, but I had to install the longer input shaft. Installation is very easy. Oh, the T3550 is a much stronger trans than a T-5.

Chop Top Kid, in another post said

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011