Register now to get rid of these ads!

Classic car insurance question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Who do you like BESIDES HAGERTY? I just go my bill and it's too high. I called Grundy, and they want FOUR old cars before they'll cover me (I only have 2). So, who else is out there? Thanks

2. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

I've had as many as three cars insured with Grundy, now just two, never heard of a requirement to have four cars. Are you sure about that?

3. just got off the phone w/them about an hour ago. It seemed awful dumb to me. I mean how many people have FOUR old cars?

4. built2grind

built2grind

Try J.C. Taylor. I used them for several years but my local agent (underwriter) didnt send me my renewal in time and my policy expired. J.C.Taylor won't insure your vehicle without pictures, So now that my car is torn apart its hard to get coverage. They were good to me, $100 a year with $10,000 replacement coverage. My Camaro has $25,000 replacement coverage right now and I only pay $200 a year. Hope this helps.

5. thewildturkey46

thewildturkey46
    from Rice, MN

I switched to Barrett Jackson endorsed Insurance, covered by the Chartis Co, It was cheaper than Grundy and a lot cheaper than Hagerty. I had both of them in the past, both good but more money. just google Barrett Jackson Insurance and get a online quote. Dale

6. IL GIMMI

IL GIMMI

I use American Collectors Inusrance. Never had any issues and they're affordable. I've also used Grundy in the past with no problems.

7. JC Taylor just quoted me OVER $1000 for my 38 Chevy and 64 Vette. TOO MUCH

8. dawford

dawford

I wonder if the high premiums are for daily drivers vs. occasional drivers.

Dick :) :) :)

9. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I wouldn't give Barret-Jackson the sweat off my balls much less buy a product they endorse, and most likely are well compensated for that endorsement.
    They and their damn TV show auctions are the major reason everybody wants a fortune for that rusty old hulk out behind the garage!!!!!!!!
    Dave

10. the-rodster

the-rodster

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  11. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Wow I didnt need 4 cars to be insured by Grundy..if that was the case i wouldnt be insured by them..
    sounds weird

12. CRUZN60

CRUZN60

13. mt shasta steve

mt shasta steve

I have American Collectors. They wanted pictures which was no problem. Supposed to have a 2,500 mile per year limit. Our cruising season is only about 5 months long, so that didn't turn out to be a problem

14. Thumper

Thumper

Call Safeco......seriously... they have collector car insurance. You might be surprised they will go toe to toe with anybody. I got 4 insured on my policy.

15. billy zz

billy zz

i went with ANPAC CHROME
    i switched and saved 35% and got 3x the coverage
    and they give me a 10,000 a year milage limit.
    i have 2 cars with them.
    soon to be 3

16. I use Infinity. I priced the big guys and they were much much higher! I have had them for over 14 years.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  17. Been using J.C. Taylor for over 25 years now. Had 2 claims and never had a problem in those 25+ years.

F.Y.I.: Grundy is pretty much done!

18. Fenders

Fenders

I went with Messrs Smith and Wesson....

19. Just got my hagerty bill yesterday and wowzer. Rates are about 45% more then last year...no claims, no traffic tickets. However, I'd really hate to go back to the pre-hagerty days where a licenced-professional's evaluation/apprasial was needed before they would insure it.

I'll be watching this thread with intrest.

20. _ogre

_ogre
    from Motown

i had hagerty and was looking for an alternative. i read the post above and went straight to Philadelphia as they were the under writer for grundy any way. their web site still say that they work with grundys worldwide but if you contact grundy they will not insure just 1 classic.

we in michigan get screwed by high rates anyway. hagerty was $590 for an agreed value of $30,000 on my truck. phily is $370 for the same policy. my online quote came back at $225 but michigan added $145 for the honor of 'no fault'. no fault is when no one gets a ticket and no one gets blame. if you get rear ended at a stop sign, your insurance covers it.

phily was not the easiest company to deal with, it took 3 weeks and 10 phone calls to get covered. read the link in the-rodster's post.

21. hotrod_32

hotrod_32

My Haggerty just dropped $200 this year ! Can't beat there service.

22. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I'm with Heacock Classic.
    See the owner every year at the NHRA HRR in Bowling Green, seem like good guys to me and fair pricing.
    And they're car guys, most aren't!

23. xlr8er

xlr8er

I use Infinity - a division of American Collectors. Never has a problem. Asking about insurance is like asking what is the best color.... Three people will have 3 diferent opinions... Best of luck

24. Silverplate

Silverplate

I use Heacock to insure my two cars. I have had no claims in the 3 years and thats a good thing. Communication is outstanding and they are car people. Mike

25. I just tried JC Taylor again to see if the girl didn't know what she was talking about when she said I had to have 4 cars......and the electronic runaround made me fucking crazy. I could NOT get a human after 10 minutes of bullshit. Now, I'm the kind of guy that won't insure with them at any price just because of that. I got a guy that's gonna quote me from Philadelphia on Monday from a lead I got here. He said Hagerty's out of control. I'm inclined to agree

26. Fords-R-Us

Fords-R-Us
    from NE Iowa

I've used "Continental Western Insurance" although I can't tell you anything about how they are on claims (never had one) prices seem resonable, with no mileage limits.

27. BlueGhost

BlueGhost

I insured my truck through State Farm. You may have to have a daily driver insured by them to insure your classic also.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    It was pretty easy, I sent them a couple of pictures of the truck and told them the value I want it insured for. It just can't be a daily driver and has to be garage kept.<o:p></o:p>

28. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

They also have coverage off track for all kinds of racing cars. I think it's called "key off" coverage. So for theft, hail (I'm an open trailer guy) road accident towing, storage, etc you're covered. About $250 for agreed value of $25,000 with $1000 deductable.

29. built2grind

built2grind

Whoever you decide to go with, obviously the cost (yearly premium) is a factor, but be aware of your policy. Ask all the questions, and senarios that could happen. My father was in the business for over 40 years and was always there to explain things to me regarding my policy. Just know what you are covered under and what you will not be covered for. Alot of the lower premium companys have restrictions on coverage and what determines if you are covered in the event of an accident. Please, just understand your policy. Thats for everyone out there.

30. henryj429

henryj429

I have ONE car insured with Grundy. No problem so far and rate is reasonable.