Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where did you get your rods radiator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by [email protected], Nov 10, 2011.

1. mustangiimike@aol.com

[email protected]
    from custer, wa

so im building a model a coupe, chopped 6", channeled 4", 8ba flatty. i picked up a champion aluminum rad for a 32 ford, using a 32 shell, its 3" shorter than stock (22" top to bottom), but thats not enough, the grill shell sits about 2" taller then i would like. i have taken the rad to a few shops and they all cant shorten aluminum rads.

so, does anybody on here work on rads or could custom build one for me, or knows where i can get one???? im not looking to break the bank. maybe around 300 bucks would be great. let me know any info is good info.
    thanks,
    ~Mike

2. well they are a little ways away from you but best radiator, hays ks. they do great work, custom jobs, what ever you need. i hvae taken severa things to then and they have been able to resolve any situation i had. they built a custom radiator for me. all aluminum. another aliminum i had i needed the outlet on the bottom moved to the other side. they got it all moved and you cant even tell.

3. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

Try Superior Radiator out of Mt. Clemens, MI. all they do is custom aluminum radiators many being a 32' style of varying heights. I've had over 5 built from them with 0 problems. The price for a 32' style rad. has been around $300 which should fit your budget. 586-463-8722 is their number and ask for Charlie, he's the owner.

4. butch27

butch27

Superior built mine for the T Bucket. Only a 2 row but it has never overheated.

5. mink

mink
    from CT

A mustang 3 row radiator fit in mine (32 chevy) new from autozone. under 150 if i remember correctly.Late 60's mustang

6. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

We've been dealing with PRC for a while now and find them accomodating. They build a very nice radiator, and will custom make them to your specs.

Don

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Same here. Works great.

8. mustangiimike@aol.com

[email protected]
    from custer, wa

had a mustang one, it was still to tall for the space i have, ill check the suggestions mentioned and see what i can come up with.
    thanks,
    Mike

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Forklifts have made frequent donors. If you have a place nearby that services them, check there.

10. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

I had a custom radiator made for my 32 w/Flathead. Cost was $500.00 From Rods Radiators in Redding, Calif. It's beautiful and works great. Oh, it's brass and copper, not aluminum

11. mustangiimike@aol.com

[email protected]
    from custer, wa

ooohh, never thought about a forklift rad, thanks

12. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

Look through the Summit or Speedway catalogs and find a radiator that is the right height and then have it narrowed. You cannot shorten an aluminum radiator but it is pretty easy to narrow it to fit. I bought a piece of aluminum core and then made my own not really a problem,

Rex

13. The last one I ordered was from Griffin, and it fit exactly to my measurements and cools perfectly.

Decent price and good performance, but aluminum, I wish I could have afforded the copper and brass style!

Could you post a picture of that one?

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ!!!

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ!!!

14. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Walker for me with A/C condenser, cooling fan and shroud. I couldn't get one built here with the extras for the purchase price

15. donkeyfarm

donkeyfarm

I got mine off of ebay. 3 core for 200 bucks with trans cooler built in

16. I'm using a 60s Mustang one. Had a rad shop change the outlets and pressure test it. Works fine, my C59A has a 6 blade fan, new high flow pumps and I run Purple Ice, and it struggles to get to 180. I might have to install thermostats to warm it up a bit more, but I'll try a 4 blade fan first.

17. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Steve Long here in Indy builds primo copper radiators-that's where Bobby Alloway gets his. They not only cool well but look great.

18. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Check tractor radiators.. Look on regular ebay, not ebay motors....

19. lawman

lawman

65 Mustang V-8. Auto zone $150.00 new.It's in a 34 Chevy grill
    shell. Hope this helps

Attached Files:

20. lawman

lawman

21. 32 hudson

32 hudson

I am using a 72 dodge dart 318 v8 radiator 2 rows in a chopped lowered International grill shell. I had to notch the model A cross member in the corners f to accept the radiator height. There are radiators with dimension list in Chesters book on building a t for less then $3000, there is a thread on here some place with the list of dimensions for oem radiators. I got a used radiator for $20 to try out for a stock 350 motor.

Attached Files: