Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1948 tudor sedan chop... How do I do it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DrivenDead, Apr 23, 2009.

1. LesIsMore

LesIsMore
    from Ohio

I have had 2 of em, wouldnt chop em if it was even easy, tough to make em look good as it flows nice from the factory, my two cents, they sit too high, get it in the weeds and run it, fat fenders look sweet low.

2. roddinron

roddinron

Remember, PHOTO SHOP IS NOT REAL LIFE! This is a hard car to chop, even a bad chop. Photoshop is best used as a guide if the guy doing the chopping, is also doing the photo shopping, so he really knows what it's going to take. If you have limited experience, I'd say leave it alone, not everything needs to be chopped. JMO

3. koolkemp

koolkemp

I agree totally but I do have several chops and tons of bodywork fab and structure work under my belt, and thats my favourite part of the build...I would rather cut and weld bodywork than do an engine swap....funny,some of my friends think I am waco :D .Also I dont have any heat in my shop at the new house yet so basically all I can do all winter long is cut and weld stuff, I will take a good look at the rear of the body, cause I really want a one piece delivery style door, hinged at the top, and I have a spare trunklid as well, so when I get a plan figured out for that , I will attack it. With this much of a modification throwing a chop in there isnt gonna make much more of a difference to me, just more fun!!

4. Lono

Lono

I agree with you mate. Photoshop is great for getting a good idea of the end results, but I also use it to find cut point in a chop too before I fire up the saw. Its saved me big money and time.

Chops should only be taken on by those with a lot of patience, skills and the desire to see it through to the end.

I've done a 50 merc 4 door, 53 belair, 50 Meteor ( ford to you guys SOTB) 3 beetles, a 48 Ford truck and my 30 A. Each time my palms get sweaty when i first pick up the saw but go slow and easy looking, measuring and rethinking every step of the way. They've all turned out. Everyone needs a first chop, I'd say, get a friend who'se done one with you and go to it.

Having done it yourself, you wont mind what other people think of it.
    .....provided your happy yourself.

5. Lono

Lono

so slightly off topic here but a question for ya'll.

If a person wants to lower the front / back end and keep all stock components,
    Could a guy make a set of "shackles" to mount on those buggy springs?

Reason I ask is the guy who I bougth the 38 from has the springs hanging on chains to allow the body to sit lower ( because theres no motor right now). It looks good at the new rake but i dotn know if it would be safe or not...
    lets hear some opinions?

6. 416Ford

416Ford

Lono, I look at your picture and something just does not look proportioned right. Without raising the rear roof I tried a little photo-choping (GIMP). Hope you don't mind.
    I widened the B pillar a bit so it does not look like a sedan with the windows filled in and rounded the door top(wish I had done that to mine). And added some graphics also.

A little comparison.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  7. Lono

Lono

Good eye my friend!
    I really like your B pillar idea and the radius on the door, that looks very smart.
    I may be forced to steal your idea and take it to the shop.

8. bob myers

bob myers

Looks like most folks don`t like this body style chopped. Here a pic of mine. I bought the car unfinished after someone started the chop and screwed it up. I spent a long time getting it right as I could, I am no pro and it is no where near perfect, but I happy with it. Keep in mind that there are as many varying standards of excellence as there are members on the board. My goal was to do all I could myself and keep it cheap. I say "have some fun and chop it, but have a good experienced friend to bail you out when the problems arrive".

Attached Files:

9. 416Ford

416Ford

Looks good to me Bob. I think the chop is just enough to make it look more stylish and not a pancake. Were you able to keep the original back glass or did they chop that into a mail slot?

10. koolkemp

koolkemp

Lets see some more pics please! Do you have any under construction pics?

11. bob myers

bob myers

The back glass is stock with the frame laid down. Rear vision Kinda sucks, but to me that`s hot roddin. Here`s some build pics Bob

12. bob myers

bob myers

pics here

Attached Files:

13. chazzace

chazzace
    from california

looks good how much of a chop would that be?