Register now to get rid of these ads!

48 Plymouth 4d build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 6berry, Sep 17, 2009.

1. kbuhagiar

kbuhagiar

Any updates & pictures?

2. powhatan42

powhatan42

Headlight ideas depend on your budget. You might consider '39 Ford assemblies, Mini Cooper lights, or Merceedes lights, it depends on the look that you are going for. I am leaning towards the '39 Ford lights.

Good luck on the build it look a lot like my '40 four door- parts car now.

3. 6berry

6berry

Sorry I havent posted any updates or pictures lately. my audi broke down so i had to fix that before i could go to the shop to work on the plymouth. but my audi is fixed so now i will be back to work on the plymouth very soon and i will have pictures!

4. farmer12

farmer12

Good to hear you're mobile again. Can't wait to see some more pics!

5. jeffh547

jeffh547
    from Florida

I'm interested in seeing how you moved the engine back in the S-10 frame. Did ya use custom mounts or ones that you bought somewhere? :confused:
    I'm planning an S-10 or Malibu Wagon frame swap on my '52 Suburban. I'm almost sure that the engine has to be moved back. :rolleyes:
    Thanks, Jeff.

6. 6berry

6berry

yeah i havent been able to work on it in forever! i should be starting school for mechanical engineering soon and getting my own house so ill start getting a lot of progress then.
    i would send you a pic but i dont live near where im storing the car so ill try to describe it to you. what i did was make motor mounts similar to this except instead of moving the motor forward like required on an s10 v8 swap, i moved the motor towards the rear:
    [​IMG]
    i believe it might be simpler to move the actual mount on the frame back a few inches but im not exactly sure

7. 50

from Ashton, IA

6berry, i followed your entire thread and i have a 50 wayfarer and i also have a s10 frame along with a 360 and 727 trans would like to see more. thanx

8. 6berry

6berry

thanks a lot. i am really going to get working on it a lot once i get my own house soon. so ill be really active on this board again.

9. Pre-game

Pre-game

i have been following this thread for a while as you are doing a similar car/motor/frame dealie as i plan on doing.. i have finally aquired all of my parts to do it and i have the old plym clip cut off and the s10 clip is setup modified for the bags and whatnot.. anyways i am really interested in seeing more pics of where you attached the clip and a lil more on the steering, i am thinking of trying to run power brakes and power steering. hopefully you can get to the shop soon to get more progress done, if you do snap a ton of pics..!!!! later jason:cool:

10. 6berry

6berry

thanks a lot! i actually did a full frame swap instead of just the front clip. im not going to be running power steering or brakes but i will definitely get some more pictures when i get back to the shop to work on it. if you have any questions about anything just let me know and ill do my best to explain how i did it

11. Pre-game

Pre-game

Will the s10 steering box turn without the power assist? I was told the ratios are make it nearly impossible without it, but thats only hear say. If it works without ill be dumping my powersteering pump as well, i would like to see a few pics of how you did the steeri ng column, i tore into mine last light and exposed the internal tube that is connected to,the,steering wheel just trying to,figure it all out i suppose.. Thanks later

12. Spanish Fly

Spanish Fly

13. I can tell you the '84 Buick we had was damn near impossible to steer without the power, the ratio was such that you needed Popeye's arms to do it. Can't imagine the S10 much different.

Probably not hard to put an old '50s-'60s manual box on there though if you can find one the pitman arm will fit one way or the other. Maybe Chevy pickup from the '70s.

14. or just hook up a power steering pump . . .

15. Pre-game

Pre-game

I did a little research, u can use a manual box out of late 80-early 90s s10 and its a direct swap, no more popeye arming it to turn, i think this is the route im going to go...

16. Didn't even think such a thing existed.

17. Pre-game

Pre-game

Yessir, the v8 s10 guys do it for dragracing

18. 6berry

6berry

i tried steering without the power steering and it wasnt too bad. i havent driven the car yet but if its too bad once i do then ill just swap a manual steering pump

19. 6berry

6berry

i know its been a real long time since ive posted on here but im back now making some good progress on the car. i started college and got my own place so now i have a car port to work on the plymouth in. ill try to post some new pics tomorrow!

20. 6berry

6berry

frenched the factory third brake light into the trunk lid
    [​IMG]
    started working on the wiring. almost done with all the wiring in the engine bay
    [​IMG]
    how the interior is now. wiring is still really messy but i still have a lot of interior wiring to do
    [​IMG]

21. farmer12

farmer12

Great to see you're back at it and making progress!

22. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Looking great!

23. Looking good. Keep up the good work. This is more motivation to get my 49 going!

24. 6berry

6berry

Working on the rear half of the frame. Mounting a 68 camaro gas tank and building a little battery box but I didn't get any pics of that.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]