Register now to get rid of these ads!

School me on the history of nitrous oxide.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nutwagonfromhell, Nov 9, 2011.

1. nutwagonfromhell

nutwagonfromhell
    from missouri

Whats the story on hooking nos into cars? I`ve heard it came from ww2, from our aircraft mechanics reverse engineering Stuka`s that were shot down and they foung the Germans were putting Nitrous in their planes.
    After ww2 they came home as we all know and built hot rods. Who was the first person to put nitrous in a car? Who made nitrous oxide famous?
    Germans are very awesome engineers, even today.

2. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Nitrous Oxide use in early planes wasn't to go faster....but to fly at higher altitudes where the oxygen was thinner....but it was a nice by-product....

Nitrous Oxide Systems is who put "nos" in the hands of the everyday guy.....late '70's....

A little too...."new"...for these parts....:D

3. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

check out wiki. You will be surprised on how long NOS has been around. It's pre-hamb!

4. nutwagonfromhell

nutwagonfromhell
    from missouri

Thanks guys. I dont really like nitrous but when I hear a historical story I get into it. I`m just a hot rodding history buff.

5. I want to gouge my eyes out every time I hear someone call nitrous "nos".

The terminology "nos" originated from the import kids who were too lazy to figure that the N.O.S. sticker on the outside of the bottle wasn't a label as to what was inside it, but the name of the company (Nitrous Oxide Systems) that made their system. I'm sure the owner of N.O.S., Mike Thermos, was laughing all the way to the bank whenever that fucking stupid word was uttered every 5 minutes in those Fast and Furious movies. I always loved the way those movies portrayed the hitting of the nitrous button. It's the most violent mechanical reaction ever, where parts come flying off your car, you can barely see from the incredible G-forces, and your laptop computer flashes a warning that your manifold is being over-pressurized. All written by guys who never rode in a nitrous car in their life.

Sorry to vent, but I hate that term and what the current car culture has made it out to be.

6. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Flat-N-Low:
    nothing more need be said - you have succinctly and accurately addressed the subject

7. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

I dunno.. I kinda loved it when he hit's the 'Go Baby Go' button in Elanore;

8. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Looked that way to me. The machinist next door put a bottle on his minibike and tore the knees out his jeans trying to hold on. Priceless.

9. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

sounds like somebody has seen the movie in question :D (I am guilty also)

10. derbydad276

derbydad276

I put a bottle on one of my cars back in the 80's
    it was a real suprise the first time I hit the button
    but I was only running a 100/150 shot plate system

and it picked up 6 tenths at the dragstrip

11. RPM

RPM

blower in a bottle.

12. edweird

edweird

i couldnt agree more!!

13. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I'll call it "nos" all fucking day long........because all I'll run is N.O.S. brand stuff.....haha

14. It will make your car blow up in a huge fiery explosion if somebody shoots it too.

15. williebill

williebill

I'd rather have Mad Max's blower switch.

16. k9racer

k9racer

on the local news several years ago.. A dumb ass took a rose bud torch and was heating a mother bottle while filling his slaves. The mother bottle blew apart at the seams and the explosion destroyed the garage and the 64 Chevy II that was inside.. The 2 who were doing this stunt lost most of their hearing.. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> On a side note while running a engine at a dyno shop the operator cracked open a NOS bottle and the gas found its way to the carb... I tend to melt pistons when I use it but then I only use it on the last lap............................... Almost 40 years ago when it was pure stuff I went through about 15 bottles before I ever installed it on a car.. Boy were those fun times.. I had a dentist friend who was able to get the stuff as none of the oxygen supply people would sell to just anybody... Bobby..

17. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

As far as I know Pete Robinson "Sneaky Pete" was using the bottle in the mid 60's and I'm sure he wasn't the first! I used to love the bottle on my mustang a few years back! A nice 302 and a 200hp shot car would 10.90 all day and was a daily driver on drag radials