Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T Losing My Grandpa..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53olds, Nov 9, 2011.

1. He got me into hot rodding at a very young age, has been my best friend, more like a father than a Grandfather. We started my first project car, the 53 olds until he was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer that has spread to lungs and liver (sold it after that). Chemo treatments were decided. After numerous months of treatments the Doctor told him they are no longer working and the "Quality of Life" isn't there so to have a fun summer. We went fishing for the first time, a bunch of car shows and cruise in's, he saw me get my 2nd project (59 F100)..He's not doing very well right now, he get's sick alot and his liver is slowing down. Sadly he won't see Christmas. I'm having a hard time here...anyways besides the bad typing that was my ramble. He's been a hot rodder forever too...

Attached Files:

2. I'm 15 and have been told I'm a spitting image of him ever since I could remember.

3. Sorry to hear that news. It's great that you two have had such a good
    relationship.....just remember those good times in the future.

4. 69Chevelle454

69Chevelle454
    from Texas

Im very sorry my friend. Im 27 and I was raised by my grandparents and consider them my parents and I am incredibly close to both of them but especially my Grandfather. As years have gone on and he has slowed down Ive thought about how I would react and make it once he passes. I still havent figured out how. I am very sorry man.

5. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

I lost my dad to Leukemia, when I was 11, I'm now 26 and it is still hard to deal at times. His dad, my grandpa passed away also from Leukemia when I was 2, so I never had the chance to get to know him. Unfortunately all you can do is be there to comfort them and make as many memories as you can while you can. I hope that you find peace when he passes and don't let the sadness and anger get the best of you.

6. Jon, in the few years ive known you on here, one thing that has stood out, is the love and respect you have for your Grandfather.
    I feel for you buddy, and all i can say is spend as much time with him as you can.
    Stay strong, your HAMB friends are all here for you.

7. mrforddude

mrforddude

There are absolutely no words that can help in a situation like this; time will help, it won't heal it, it will just make become more bearable so that you can continue on doing the things the he and you have come to treasure and love so much.

In saying that, keep a wrench in your hand as much as possible and smile when the tears come knowing that there will always be that thought in the back of your mind that he will forever be watching over your shoulder letting you know if it just ain't right...at least it has been for me.

Losing the person that brings you into this lifestyle we call hotrodding is always hard; but it looks like he has instilled some fine qualities in his "mini-me"

8. raidmagic

raidmagic

Damn man, I'm so sorry to hear it, I wasn't ever that close to my grandpa cherish the time you have and keep his memory alive.

God Bless you and your family.

9. Never knew my grandparents. Always heard that it was a good time to be close to them. I try to make the time with my grandkids fun for them. Take care nad enjoy the time you have left with him.

10. Never knew my g parents ... so enjoy every last min . i hear its cool .

11. Gman0046

Gman0046

53 Olds, So sorry to hear about your Grandpa. But I will tell everybody to get a colonoscopy ASAP. It saved my wife's live with early detection.

12. boutlaw

boutlaw

Be sure HE knows about your love and respect, and spend all the time you can with him. Many people feel they don't know what to say or feel the person is to tired when someone is dying, and stop visiting. Thats the worse thing you could ever do. Be there for him.

13. cheveey57

cheveey57

I know your pain bud, my Grandfather was my best friend too. He was and still is my inspiration. He died in June of 1972, I was 12 years old. I still miss him.
    Hang in there pal, hang on to those wonderful memories.

14. cheveey57

cheveey57

15. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

So very sorry to hear that your Grandpap isn't doing well. Losing a loved one is always so hard, especially when the two of you are as close as you two are. It speaks volumes though how good of a Grandfather he is if he has left you feeling this way about him. You have to remember the things he taught you and the good times you had with him.

As I've said before, I personally feel our loved ones don't really go too far away when they pass and that we will see little signs that they drop by every so often to let us know that.

Don

16. Lost my grandad when I was 16, still miss him. We did one of everything together so I do understand how you feel.

Sounds like you have made the best of a bad situation, make sure you ask him everything that you don't already know about life. I missed a couple of things and had to figure them out for myself.

Sorry for you my young friend.

17. igotthewillys

igotthewillys
    from Ontario

Sorry to hear about your Grandfather, I lost my Grandfather/ best friend 45 years ago and I have missed him everyday since, cherish the memories. The pain may never go away but the memories will not either.

18. Jon, I'm so sorry man, and I can totally relate. My "Papaw" was my hero and owned a small car dealership and garage in the little town I grew up in. He was hotrodding stuff way back before World War 2.

He was my hero and I was his side-kick. He died a long time ago, but I still get choked up thinking about him. That's him in my avatar and that's us in the photo below. (I was just a baby in the photo....but the bond stayed that way as I got older). I also think it's cool that he's in his garage overalls in the photo.

You just gotta do what I've done. Cherish what you had together....take lots of photos and video. Unfortunately, we just didn't take alot of photos in the late 60's and early 70's and nobody I knew had a video camera.

But most important....live your life in a way that would make him proud.

I try to do that every day. I hope to see him again one day....hopefully they'll have Model A's in heaven so we can wrench again.

Attached Files:

19. 53inSD

53inSD

I feel for you. My Dad And Grandpa were my hereos. Cherish your time with him. Remember the jokes, the laughs. Wish I had some magic words to make this easier on you. He will live on through you. Show others what he has taught you. Whether that is how to turn wrenches, or how to be a good person.

20. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Seems as though Grandfathers are usually pretty special people, the only one I ever knew certainly was. He lived on a farm, and cultivated my interest in machinery, bought me an old Maytag gas engine when I was about 7 years old. We got it running, and I still have it to this day. We knew his death was impending, so were able to say proper goodbyes, told him how much he meant to us, etc. Getting tears now....

Spend as much time with him as you can in the time he has left, and don't leave anything unsaid.

21. HotRod33

HotRod33

Its tough to lose someone you love....... Get some video's of him and even sit and talk with him while your recording... The one thing I miss the most about my dad is hearing his voice.......

22. I might add the following:

Force him to sit down in front of a video camera and just talk to you through the camera.

Leave if you have to....if it weirds him out.....but make him do it.

I'd give any amount of money to have my Papaw look at me through a lense and speak to me for any amount of time. It wouldn't matter to me that it was decades old or that I had seen it 1,000 times.

23. A Rodder

A Rodder

I've known Jon and Dallas for a couple of years now. Jon is in our club. Every time I seen him before I knew him, his grandpa was with him side by side. I lost my dad when when I was done 12, 19 years ago and I've got tears as I type just thinking about it.
    Dallas is one of the guys that are as nice as they come and has made more of an impression than anyone will probably ever know. Keep strong Jon, lean on those around you and make no apologies for for reaching out.
    Keep him and this young man in your prayers.

24. Thank you everybody..it means alot. I thought about asking him questions about life but he doesn't talk much right now as he gets choked and starts getting sick again. But the hospice made a "Legacy" video over the summer of him telling stories and there was a big section that he talked about me... :'(

25. Alex S. L.

Alex S. L.
    BANNED

Seriously, take advantage of the time you have together NOW! Most people don't get that. Go and do as much cool stuff with him as you can, tell him everything you want to tell him, tell him what your relationship has meant to you. That is the stuff you regret when people are gone so don't leave any unfinished business.
    My grandfather was like my father too, we got to spend a lot of time together for most of my life. In the last few years of my life I was really messed up and didn't appreciate what I had. When he passed away I wasn't in a frame of mind to be able to say what I needed to say. Don't be afraid to say what you need to say. You may not appreciate how important this stuff is but I'm sitting here getting tearyeyed in class just thinking about my grandfathers death.

Luckily I've been able to have a much better relationship with my father even if he isn't any kind of a car guy. Appreciate what you have while you have and don't leave stuff that you need to regret.

26. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

The only grandfather i knew in my life is fortunately still with us but i lost my grandmother four years ago. I'm 23 now. She was in my life just about daily and she was one of the most kind hearted, loving, and caring people i've ever had the pleasure of knowing. She was so well loved by her community and it showed; over 200+ people showed up to her services.

she was opinionated and ran a tight ship but every year she managed to make a thanksgiving or christmas dinner and donate all of it to a local shelter. she was an immense supporter of the Fidelco Guide Dog Association and other organizations in the community. She loved her family dearly and treating her grandkids to special things was never overlooked. Losing her was probably the hardest thing in my life and i still struggle with it sometimes. She taught us all so much and she didnt even know it.

The hardest part was watching her death affect my grandfather. These elderly couples have a love for eachother that the majority of the younger generation couldnt even compare to. My grandmother was diagnosed with widespread cancer one day in late september. within a few days of diagnosis she was unrecognizeable to me and 9 days after diagnosis she gave up the battle on her 70th birthday. from diagnosis to death it took 9 days and she was just about as normal as ever right up until the diagnosis. Let me tell you something: I know it's hard with these diagnosis's but as hard as it is; be comforted that you know whats in the days, weeks, months ahead. Now you can prepare yourself and now you can make the most of the time you have. I didnt get that chance.

Take a video camera and show him how to use it and ask him to make some videos for you to treasure in your life. Ask him to write letters and to share his advice about life, share his memories and such. I would give anything for one video or letter.

The older generations have seen so much in their lifetime and they have so much to learn from. I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers; find comfort through your sorrow in the fact that when he does pass; he will no longer be in pain. keep your head up and stay strong. Don't be afraid to just sit with him everyday and enjoy his company....

27. robertsregal

robertsregal

sorry to hear of your Grampa's failing health, enjoy every minute you can with him and thank him for the gift of the car bug. I to believe that friends and family are always with you. My dad has been gone since 1993 was a car guy,mechanic and i feel his presence guide me thru tough jobs

28. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

May God bless your Grandpa, and make his remaining days a painless joy for him, as well as you and all your family.
    You are lucky to have a man like that in your life.
    Bob

29. 53olds sorry to hear about your grandfathers illness...ask him how you could go about building the 1959 f100....I am now dedicating a build to my best friend my father law....I plan on having the rear quarter glass etched as "joes special"....i think he would like that!!!