Register now to get rid of these ads!

My roadster was supposedly a lakes racer. Anyone have any history on it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nailhead_knucklehead, Nov 5, 2011.

1. nailhead_knucklehead

nailhead_knucklehead

Just bought this roadster, which i am told wasa southern CA hot rod and raced at the lakes. I used to be green and might have had an American flag painted on the hood. The driver door is welded shut, and there are some patch pannels behind the seats where i assume a roll bar once was. The car most recently came from Washington state. Im also told the body has been on the 32 rails for some time. Any history would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. I saw the roadster in the forum, a wasabi name or something like it I think, use the search engine may be you get a chance

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Love that roadster!!!! I kinda wanted it but I knew I couldn't afford it. Hope you find some history on it.

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Oh and even though it's perfect now it probably had a hot 59a flatty in it back in the day.....hint hint nudge nudge wiggle wiggle. ;)

5. That was my buddy Tyler's car, he never found any history on it...last I saw it though, the guy he got it from primered it.

6. nailhead_knucklehead

nailhead_knucklehead

thanks guys, and ya id like to put a flathead in it, wink wink. here it is now, chopped windshield soon to come.

Attached Files:

7. brady1929

brady1929

wish it was mine, thats for sure

8. NealinCA

NealinCA

9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I see it keeps good company. :D

10. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

I saw it in Rudy's backyard a few years ago when he was building it. Definitely an oldie- but pretty sure he put it on that frame.

11. nailhead_knucklehead

nailhead_knucklehead

thanks for the links guys

12. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

I love that car, been wanting it the last few times it was offered for sale. But I can't figure out why the last owner would primer over that old yellow paint job, the yellow was bitchin'.

13. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

hope to see the hood back on it.loved that look.

14. Isn't that the car that someone primered over the yellow with flatblack, then when a previous owner (on here, can't remember the name, but I think Chris was involved) removed the black so it was yellow again!

Maybe the red oxide could be taken off! haha

Cool car either way!

15. nailhead_knucklehead

nailhead_knucklehead

ya it was rattle canned black then wipped off. I did put the hood back on but its a modern custom built hood, cant paint match that with the old yellow

16. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

Thats what I was thinking....

17. Yeah, when Tmoney got it, it was flat black. It looked like a plane jane roadster with decent stance. He took some laqure thinner and revealed the old yellow paint. His friend Johhny T. Built the deck lid and hood, along with the headlight bar and numerous other things. My Dad went through the engine. It was a bitchin car, but like 24 hours after sold, it was primer red and looked like a plain jane ol roadster again.

18. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

Leave the hood raw

19. mcbay

mcbay

Man that is some quick work at 1:53 we have just bought a yellow 29 and at 3:32 its been Primed. Wow!

Attached Files:

20. TMoney

TMoney

I had paint made to match the car when I took the black off. My friend Russ used a gun that scans the surface and electronically matches the paint and spits out a mix code. He put it in rattle cans and some of the yellow paint on it was some of that rattle can. It matched pretty well. Only I could tell.

Take the red primer off and I'll send you the rest of the rattle cans for free. :D Or you could do what I originally did and run the hood and deck lid raw. I thought it looked bitchin that way. I'd sure like to see it yellow again. Kinda made my heart drop when I saw what happened to it after I sold it. Not sure I completely understood why it was painted without doing any body work at all. Maybe I shoulda just left the flat black on it huh? Then it would have looked as cookie cutter as it does now. :rolleyes:

21. TMoney

TMoney

Also, I talked to Rudy early this year at GNRS and he said that he got the body and the frame together and he was told that it had been on that frame for quite some time.

22. forsakenfew

forsakenfew
    from seattle

Yellow yellow yellow!

23. TMoney

TMoney

Darrel did the hood and decklid, not Tick.

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I looked at the add for that car for a long time when it came up for sale and then decided that too many people would cry, piss and moan over the old yellow paint job that wasn't even very good and had no known history for being known beyond the circle it traveled in.
    [​IMG]
    The trouble with buying someone else's old car is that it will always be their old car no matter what you do with it and a certain percentage of the people around will whine about any change you made good or bad.

25. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I've been looking through a bunch of old picture books lately and damn if it isn't looking familiar... Not sure to where yet, but I'll keep digging.

26. TMoney

TMoney

Yellow paint wasn't very good? It was 50+ years old. WTF!!! The quality of the paint isn't what made it cool. It's how old you could tell it was. Eeeeeehhhhh... maybe I'm trying to explain something to someone that clearly doesn't get it so nevermind. I'll save my breath.

Aaaaaaannnnnnnd... I understand wanting to make it your own. But don't half-ass it and paint a car that needed body work to be a painted car.

That's all I have to say.

27. forsakenfew

forsakenfew
    from seattle

T, you said it much more eloquently than I was going to. My reply used the word fuck a lot.

28. jonathan

jonathan
    from Phoenix,AZ

Looks like a Brookeville now!

29. TMoney

TMoney

Haha, I've heard that from more than one person. Like I said before, "cookie cutter."