Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking to v8 swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 88to52, Nov 8, 2011.

1. 88to52

88to52

just picked up a 52 Chevy and looking around a v8 to throw in this bad boy.
    I came across an 03 5.3L with 60,xxx miles and an 07 4.8L with 22,xxx. Any difference between the two? I know the 5.3 has a little more HP and more tq then the 4.8L
    Both come with computers and all accessories and transmission for about the same price.

So would going with the newer motor be better?
    Or just go with the 5.3? Just trying to see if there is an advantage to one motor more then the other.

I know it'll be a big task and big project but I'm willing to take my time and make it work because I think it would be pretty bad either way. Thank you for any help, insight, opinions even lol.

2. 50'custom

50'custom

The 4.8,and the 5.3 are the same block,and heads. The difference is the stroke of the engine,think 350 vs. 327. I drive an OT 5.3 powered truck,and I will tell you that they leave alot to be desired on the low RPM performance in stock form,so as you can image the 4.8 with it's shorter stroke will only be worse. They can however be built to make BIG numbers if your set on that engine.I swapped one of these engines into a 40 chevy coupe,and the owner was very pleased with the outcome both in fuel mileage and power,and its a straight forward swap as the after market stays on top of this engine.

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if your motor has a computer and is measured in liters it does not belong in a 52 chevy.

traditional HOT RODs and customs. that's what we talk about here. that is until the site got diluted with people who don't get it.

4. F&J

F&J

You are correct. The threads about old stuff get lost in one hour here.

Piss on the modern shit.

5. 88to52

88to52

Cool, thanks guy for the info. Guess i misread that post you guys posted above.

I understand the traditional hot rods but always room for evolution..and still stay true to your roots.