Register now to get rid of these ads!

56 F100 wedge cut top

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by willymakeit, Nov 7, 2011.

1. willymakeit

willymakeit

Does anyone have any experience in wedge cutting the roof on a F100. Ive heard them refered as a gentlemans chop ect. There was an article on one called Fastlane referred to as a roofline chop. Many thanks in advance.

2. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

i would like to see some pictures....i have a 56 F100

3. krooser

krooser

You talking about when they just recess the windshield into the visor area?

4. johnod

johnod

I have a 53 Stude coupe, what is fairly common with them is about a 1.5 inch chop on the A pillars and thats it.
    If you look at the stock roofline it flows up from the rear.
    Thats called a gentlmens chop. I've never heard of this for an f100.
    Would love to see a pic.

5. choptvan

choptvan

subscribed. If you are thinkin what I think you are thinkin, I am thinkin the same thing

6. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

You cut the a pillars and take a wedge out of the back so the whole thing tilts forward. The A pillars then get relief cuts so they lean in and back to meet the top when it comes down.

7. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

i was wanting to do the same thing on my 55 ! found an article once and now cant find it ! for the 56 do a search for chip fooses truck

8. 27 Tall T

27 Tall T
    from Butler Pa.

I saw a 55 this summer , windshield and side glass are not cut . The rear glass is made smaller. basicly cut off the rain gutters and lower the crown.
    I am sure it is harder to do than I make it sound.

9. willymakeit

willymakeit

What Ive been told sounds more like 27 Tall t's description. on Foose's they reworked the cowl. I really do not want to cut glass.
    What Im thinking about doing is cutting an 1 1/4'' at the front tapered to the factory seam on the top.
    The other idea is to use a GM seal on the windsheild [S 10] and lower the top to match. I prefer everything to be subtle so it is not immediately obvios what has taken place.
    Ive wedge cut the hood which came out well, built a new bed with a hard lid but the tops have always been a little funky.

10. charger

charger
    from manitoba

11. willymakeit

willymakeit

Thanks your truck is what gave me the idea about the wedge cut hood. Mine is less radical but there.

12. 27 Tall T

27 Tall T
    from Butler Pa.

I found a couple pics of the truck plus one of my 55

Attached Files:

13. 27 Tall T

27 Tall T
    from Butler Pa.

memory getting bad not 55, but 53. I think he wedge cut the hood

14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

willymakeit - search: ford-rucks.com then: Ford f-100 roof chop - reference to other threads on that site about chops

15. metalman

metalman

Wedge cuts are pretty common on the 53/55 F-100 but can't say I've seen that done on a 56 and don't think I want to too be honest with you.
    Stock the 53/55 roof looks higher in the front then the back when viewed from the side so a wedge cut levels it, 56 is level stock so a wedge cut would look like a wedge cut. IMHO I've never seen a wedge look on a top that looked right to me, too often it looks like someone screwed up when they chopped it.

16. Drewski

Drewski

I initially was going to wedge cut my roof due to the taller at the front look on the 53-55 F100, but eventually decided against it. To me the 56 F100 has some very different problems due to the wraparound windshield..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Drew

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Trying to chop a 56 F-100 i probably the quickest way to send one or at least the cab to the scrap yard. As someone suggested in another thread on the subject, have the glass cut and then make the truck fit the glass.

18. willymakeit

willymakeit

Look close at a 56 around the doorrs, they run uphill to the front. I do agree that a 53-55 is easier though.

19. willymakeit

willymakeit

i dont think you understand. Im not cutting the top at the pillars. It is above the drip rails. Ive heard of doing this but havent seen it. I do agree with you that it is easy to ruin a cab especially with curved glass. Im being very careful about this for that reason.

20. charger

charger
    from manitoba

I`ve always thought of wedge cutting the top of the roof over the driprails, ended up not doing it! if you really think about it it would be the same thing as sectioning a hood, cut and remove the amount you want to remove and then cut relief cuts and start joining the material back together, you`d have to do this work over the roof lip, i think it would really look good!! Man your getting me going now! anyways here`s a picture of my chop from a year ago .
    [​IMG]

21. metalman

metalman

Yep, I've seen that a lot and it is always the same reason, couldn't get a windshield to fit. They never seem to understand it's a lot easier to bend the metal to fit the glass then bending glass to fit the metal! FWIW I'd rather chop a 56 any day then a 53/55. Much easier, takes half the time since you don't cut across the roof skin. Of course my glass guy doesn't feel the same, he's good with the wrap arounds but he hate doing them!