Register now to get rid of these ads!

California Car lost on Maui in 1966, Found!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2Loose, Nov 7, 2011.

1. 2Loose

2Loose

I've lost the name and the PM, but someone here on the HAMB PM'd me awhile back to see if I was familiar with a 55 Chevy hardtop he had sold to a Maui guy in 1966. I've run across someone here who was familiar with the car and he gave me this photo and the following information:

[​IMG]

This 55 Chevy was sold by a fellow in California to a Maui man in 1966. During the late 60's, early 70's the car was raced with a small block motor at the Maui drag strip. At some point the rear fenders were cut and a tube axle installed in front to run in the "gasser" class. The car ran in the 12's.

In the 80's the frame was replaced with a stock frame and the car was run on the streets. The last heard of this car was that it sat for quite awhile and was neglected, and eventually was scrapped/parted out.

I hope the guy who was looking for it stumbles across this thread.

Aloha,
    2Loose Willy
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

2. roughneck424

roughneck424

Awww RIP Lil 55 :(

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

4. metal man

metal man

So, it really wasn't found. I was hoping for a happy ending:(

5. 53210

BANNED
    from canada

Who doesn't like happy endings...

6. metal man

metal man

A happy ending for the car,not me. Get your mind out of the gutter!:rolleyes:

7. 2Loose

2Loose

Yeah, when I suddenly was handed information on this car, I was hoping it was still on the road, but I'd bet parts of it are still around, cruising the roads somewhere here in the Islands......

Who knows, the hood I picked up a few years ago for my 55 might have come from this car, ya just never know....
    Aloha,
    Willy

8. CalGasser

CalGasser

Willy,

Mahalo for locating info on this car. I believe that was my old car that was sold to "Fats" Yoshida on Maui in '66. I ran that car in E/G & D/MP plus on the street for work and dates... running a 5.12 rearend.:eek: Sad to hear the car is gone but glad to see that it raced and cruised the streets some before retiring. When I sold it, I was going into the service and lived in Pearl City (Oahu) but now in Calif. I've attached a few pix of the car - we never took many pictures back in the day. These pix had to be around '66 after I retired the car from the track after winning D/MP at the South Pacific Championship in Dec. '65.

By chance, do you know a Byron Shimabukuro on Maui?

Mahalo nui loa Brah!
    Vic

Attached Files:

9. Lame. If it makes anybody feel better I am painfully resurrecting a 55 that should have been crushed.