Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help Identify this Ford's Color

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ehrawn, Nov 7, 2011.

1. ehrawn

ehrawn
    from Oahu

Rather than hijack the SEMA thread, I thought I would start a new one. Does anyone know what color this is on this sweet Ford woody? Meadow Green was suggested, but that seems too dark. It doesn't seem to match a Ford color from the era.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Too much metallic for an original '50 Ford color.

3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Right on, '40. There was a WWll Ford Jeep that was over-restored out at the Castle Air Base on 'Open Cockpit Day', parked to a popular P-51 Mustang with nose art that read: "Old Iron Ass", with a pic of a donkey next to the script...

Both vehicles were impeccably clean, but the P-51 looked like polished aluminum from a distance; was actually painted a brilliant metallic, and on further notation so was the Jeep!
    Neither finish approached 'candy apple', but the Jeep's Olive Drab had a silver-dust that complimented the sparkling Mustang it had as a stablemate!

4. mrforddude

mrforddude

Well, it's definately not red...maybe closer to the seamist, but more than likely it's a later model color that "looked close enough" for the owner

5. Sqeaky Hinge

Sqeaky Hinge

Looks like light Green to me.....:D

6. docrock100

docrock100

Well friends the color is 1947 Ford Parrot Poly Green. The metallic in the paint is correct and very fine. I built this car ground up and sold it to the guy who was at SEMA

7. Another vote for Seamist

8. docrock100

docrock100

Here is a pic of my car at the beach before I sold it
    my 50 at the beach in cardiff.jpg

9. dgasbag

dgasbag
    from Upstate NY

I think it is pond scum green!

10. looks like seamist to me might have some small flake added in to the mix

under florescent lights everything except black looks lighter

11. ehrawn

ehrawn
    from Oahu

Thanks for your reply, docrock100. I had a hard time believing the guys at Surf City Garage when I talked to them because the samples I saw were much brighter. In real life, is this how the finish looked or did the indoor lights make it look more grey?

12. Deuces

Deuces

Looks like a 1968 and 2008 Ford Mustang color... :D

13. That is a sweet color.

14. Thats what color I'm painting my Edsel Wagon.

15. docrock100

docrock100

If you go to the ford paint chip book it shows the color in 1947. I had two paint companies work on the color until it was correct. Most paint mixing companies like to use the flake they have on hand and its wrong. the flake in this paint is very fine just as Ford did it. As you can see by my pic the color looks very different under florescent light. It really shows best in the sun. Thanks for liking the color. While I had the car it won best of show at local car shows three times and was in Goodguys magazine four times

16. docrock100

docrock100

If you have a copy of the C&G parts catalog its on the cover

17. docrock100

docrock100

Went for a cruise in Encinitas
    my 50 at Kenos.jpg

18. I love the fact that the guy who built it lists the color he used in painting it and guys still want to come up with something else. I guess they don't bother to read the thread. Tooo FUNNY!

19. Do people read posts or just reply. I too thought it was sea mist, but colors in pics are not the actual colors, docrock100 nice job on the car!

20. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

I thought that too! The very next post was a vote for seamist green.

Anyway I like the color. Looks good on that type of vehicle.

21. ehrawn

ehrawn
    from Oahu

As beautiful as Parrot Green Poly looks on the Ford, it's not right for my car. I appreciate that these guys aren't reading the thread beacuse it's given me some other options to look at that that slightly different but still evoke the basic color.

22. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Fugly Green ??

23. ehrawn - So you're actually considering "pond scum green" or "Fugly Green" :eek: :rolleyes: :D:

24. ehrawn

ehrawn
    from Oahu

Yeah, kinda. In trying to avoid a modern color, you sometimes drift into anachronisms.

25. docrock100

docrock100

26. cheveey57

cheveey57

seamist green that's been tweeked.

27. docrock100

docrock100

how about 2007 toyota camry green. It is a little lighter and I have seen this on some real cool cars. Being that the color charts are 60 years old may have something to do with my color. TCP Global mixed the color from there archive books

28. So you ask what color is on that car became you want to use it on your car, and then the guy who painted it tells you what it is, and now you don't want to use it on your car?
    man this thread is cracking me up. :D

29. docrock100

docrock100

this has been a really strange thread. It has turned into just random green comments. lol. PEA SOUP GREEN

30. ehrawn

ehrawn
    from Oahu

Easy there. All I had was a picture someone took inside under flouresent lights. I got the name of paint and found some more pictures of cars taken in different lighting conditions. Trying to do paint research on the computer sucks.