Register now to get rid of these ads!

Should I sell my '40?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by toolz1175, Nov 5, 2011.

1. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

Keep it you aint going to find another for what you will have in that one.put some time in it and get 20 for it

2. 59ab

59ab

I sure wish I had mine back!!!!

3. 68hillbilly

68hillbilly
    from KENTUCKY

if its really a good solid car , there is no way I would sell it. too hard to find a really solid one for a decent price.

4. toolz1175

toolz1175
    from IL

I really appreciate all (or most of) the words of advice. After a couple days of thought, I don't think I can sell it. It's a dream I've had for too long. I understand the cousin's need to have a family car, but he should have stepped up when he had the chance. I'm 53, and don't have the time to start with a rough car. This one will be on the road with minimal effort- it's coming close already. I suppose if this guy came up with a good runner to trade.... but that's not likely. She's stayin' here.

5. RAF

RAF
    from MA.

The right decision. Great car have fun with it.

6. hotrod_32

hotrod_32

7. toolz1175

toolz1175
    from IL

Here's today's update- I was hoping the guy would just back off, but he called again this afternoon. I told him the car wasn't for sale. He offers 15k. When I turned that down, he asked me to talk it over with my wife, and come up with a figure, he'd call back in a couple of days. So what's my breaking point? What's YOUR breaking point? I know a lot of you would say "no way, no how", but sooner or later, you'd take the money if it got big enough. If nothing else, I have a feel for what to insure it for!

8. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Find another one for sale that is in better condition and what you want. Add $5000 and tell him that is the price. He will either step up of leave you alone.

Neal

9. 40 DAVE

40 DAVE

10. I'll echo the timeless words of Jeff Lynne and Electric Light Orchestra..."Hold on Tight to Your Dream."

If your dream is the '40, then hold on tight to it, and tell him "Not only no, but hell no".

If your dream is making a quick buck off of this guy's late blooming desire to have the car, then sell it.

Point is...you have to decide what your dream is. Until you can commit one way or the other, you don't need to make any decision. If you keep it, you will have the car you have wished to have for so long, and if you sell it, you'll kick yourself the rest of the days for selling such a nice '40.

For me...it's still a no-brainer.

11. 47chevycoupe

47chevycoupe
    from Finland

If the cousin is serious and has lots of money this is what I would do. Find a nice 40 that you like and price it a little lower than that. This way he get's the family car and you have a 40 :D

12. timbo

timbo
    from PA

I would have put a bow on it for the 10k and shipped it off......

13. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

It sounds like this guy may want this particular car, where you just want a 40 coupe.

Tell him that you are not interested in the profit aspect, you want a '40 Ford Deluxe Coupe, and since you have one in super solid and complete condition, you are not interested in looking for another one. Put the burden on him, tell him you will take an equivalent or better condition car, as trade, and whatever he can get one for is what it will cost. Obviously, the problem is finding one as solid as yours. Make sure he knows if he buys one without your approval, he may be stuck with it...., and set a time frame so that the offer to trade is not indefinite.

Then you will see how bad he wants it, and he will see (when he can't find anything comparable) why you don't want to let it go.

14. brad chevy

brad chevy

Do some research on the car ,especially the numbers. The so called cousin knows you paid $4000 for the car and his 1st offer is $15,000,somethings up with that. You might have a special car or either this cousin is a rich dumbass.

15. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Sounds like you have your price and you are waiting for him to make an offer you can't refuse.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  16. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

mama said never love something that don't love ya back.....I will sell any of my cars, a few would take STUPID money, if your stupid enough to give it, I'd be stupid enough to sell it....

17. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

sounds like a plan, if this is the car he must have, tell him to find you one to replace it in equal or better shape.

18. Fordtudor37

Fordtudor37

Rule #1 - NEVER sell an old car to another family member. It WILL come back to haunt you for years to come !

Point #1 - They are NOT building more of them !
    Point #2 - If he want's it that bad, has he asked for your help to find him one, or does he just figure you will give him a better deal (condition and price wise) then he can find, because maybe he looked already ?
    Point #3 - How much will you resent him if he sells it to someone else, BEFORE asking you if you want to buy it back ?
    Point #4 - Have you truely figured out you NEED the money to survive and there is nothing else you can do ?

I mean no disrespect to your family, but ask yourself, "Does your cousin actually have the complete $15K in the first place, or is he talking bank loans, weekly payments, IOU's ?"

19. the californian

the californian
    from anaheim ca

I would not let go even if i made 30 000

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd keep it an not fall for the cousin's sob story and hand full of cash. You seem to have convinced yourself that 40's are too expensive for you to own or are too valuable for you to own. It won't cost any more to build the 40 than it would cost to build a 500.00 car that you didn't like near as much.
    And there may be a good reason that the guy you bought it from didn't sell or offer it to his cousin in the first place. And those are most likely you wouldn't sell it to certain people no matter what the offer is.

21. Just to clarify for some who seem to think it's the poster's cousin wanting the car....it's not......
    "the seller's cousin is after it."

Always seems hard to find a suitable replacement on rather "short"
    notice.

22. Fleetside

Fleetside

If the cousin absolutley has to have this car back in the family, I'd say let me find a suitable replacement, he pay's for it and you swap. He has his family jewel back, and you have your 40. And tell him it will take as long as it takes to find your car, don't settle. The price should be an equally as nice coupe, or with some luck maybe a nicer one.

23. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

24. BISHOP

BISHOP

That last one is a great deal.

25. GOOD decision...now lay some rubber!!

26. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

In storage for 47 years---now the original owner's cousin wants it??? Where the hell was he for 47 years?? He had to know the car existed. Screw him---keep the car. I sold my coupe in '59 with a locked up engine. Thought I'd just go out and find another. The avatar car is #5----no coupes along the way.

27. It's a daylight issue...how much do you have left to find a replacement.

Charlie

28. alchemy

alchemy

Check behind the door panels and under the seat. There's probably a stack of cash the seller forgot about, but the cousin remembers!

There's a decent '40 coupe on our own HAMB classifieds that belongs to Sawzall. Have the cousin buy that one and do the trade.

29. sololobo

sololobo

wtf -- waited that long, and got an unbelievable price on a killer car. Could you replace it for 10k?, probably not. Seems simple to me. The person wanting it should have been on the ball when it was for sale. f'n keep it man. ~sololobo~

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011