Register now to get rid of these ads!

Custom Econoline Van ---what to do?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ms. Metal, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Ms. Metal

Ms. Metal

I sold my van on e-bay for 5,000.00 and the guy came today to pick it up and wants to give me 4,000.00? I HAVE to sell in the next day or two and I have done hours and hours of work to it. Wish I didn't have to sell! Please help....what to do? You can see the full listing in the classified cars. Is this van only worth 4?? I want to just punch myself in the face....ugh.

Attached Files:

2. dmulally

dmulally

The car is worth what you're willing to accept for it.

I wouldnt just on principle alone and would put it back in the garage and come up with another way. But I am like that I guess.

What was the nice guys reason for inserting the pineapple? Was the car not inspected or as advertised or could he smell your fear?

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Report the rat bastard to eBay and send him home on foot or with an empty trailer...OR take money if you have too, load the van, and learn a lesson.

4. monsterflake

monsterflake

if he wants to give you 4k, keep the wheels/tires and whatever else you can unbolt. he agreed to pay 5k, it's ebay, not craigslist.

5. Hellfish

Hellfish

As nice and solid as that van is, it's probably worth $3000-5000, especially since it's an 8-door and Econolines are pretty hot right now. With all the work you've done smoothing it out, customizing it, and painting it, I'd say it's worth more than $5000. That van is super solid and very nice.

The trouble is that you must sell it by a certain date. That mean you can't hold out for what it's really worth.

Have you listed it here? OSR? CL? Were there any other bidders?

I posted it for you on the Czar board, but I really don't have many details. I also forwarded your FB post

6. rebelrat

rebelrat

I thought if you won you automatically entered into a binding agreement.
    Non negotiable, you bought it at the winning bid !

7. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Call his bluff...if he agreed to 5 grand on e-bay...tell him to pay up or go away.

R-

8. Just tell him the guy who he outbid already contacted you and offered $4900 if the high bidder backs out. See his bluff and raise him, act like you could care less if he doesn't buy it. He's an asshole and probably shouldn't be allowed to buy it anyways, but if he coughs up the price he agreed to then you may as well let it go.

9. racer32

racer32

He made a contract to pay you $5000. Tell him he owes you $5000, and he needs to pay up. If he refuses, kick him in the nuts. Or, report him to the eBay police. They don't like it when people try to renege on their bids, and will issue him a stern warning. You may not get the $5000, but at least you won't have to pay eBay the final value fee and can relist it "free". Crap like this is why I don't sell on eBay anymore. I've had good luck selling stuff on here, and I don't have to pay Ryan any fees.

10. RodStRace

RodStRace

You MUST be MS. Metal, most of us guys would want to punch the buyer in the face!
    Explain to the weenie that he had time to inspect before bidding, that a bid is a binding contract, and that unless there is a major fault not disclosed, he is legally bound to the 5K purchase price.
    But, if he walks, all you can really do is report it to Ebay (can't even give him negative feedback) and you should get a free relist. Depending on your situation, 4K in the hand may be better than kicking the chump to the curb. That's a decision YOU have to make.

11. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

Check the Ebay rules and go from there. the fella agreed to pay you the amount. if the van is what the auction stated there isnt an issue. on the other hand I bought a 64 caddy on Ebay and when I showed up the car was not the actual car in the pics. it was before the car had been ripped apart for a "Restoration" and put back together. the car was in pieces and not driveable. not the "restored condition he described.
    all in all the guy was cool when I said I came fully prepared to pay the full price had the car been what was what made out to be. he said "I understand"

Good luck.

12. Shrug your shoulders and walk back in the house. A deal is a deal.

13. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

I have had a couple of people do this to me. One on a $6000 car, and one on a $30000 car.

My experience has been that once someone has identified themselves as being an asshole, they are pretty much gonna stink on the long term.

Tell him to walk Just on principle DON'T sell the van for 4k to that idiot. Tell him he can pay the bid price or back out. When he backs out, offer to sell to the next bidder if you like (if you just HAVE to get close to the cash price now).

I would be more apt to let eBay know it was a no sell and they will refund the money. Put it back on with a 5k buy it now and ride it out. The market is fickle today. One week you might have a no sell at 3k. The next, you might have 3 guys fighting over the van at 6k. Be patient, if you can.

Looks like a 5k deal to me if it runs, drives, stops and steers decent. Nice van!

14. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

$4,500 or take a hike. The POS should not have bid if he wasn't going to buy. Does he live close by? If he is from far away he wants to buy the van. You don't want to regret selling it. I know some people that always want to feel like they got a "steal". Hold your ground!

15. Straight Axle Steve

Straight Axle Steve

5K or go home. Report him so you don't have to FVF to Ebay. Chances are he'll take it.

16. ryno

ryno

true, but maybe you should at least become an alliance member!
    Think of it as a way to pay yearly,and protect yourself in the classifieds.

17. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

Amy, Good luck on whatever you decide to do. I say 5k or no sale but I don't know your situation so do what's best for you and the family! That is why I don't like eBay. People don't like to talk face to face. Good luck!!

18. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

that thing is worth 5k all day long ! and its an 8 door!!! super van ... you should tell him 6k and meet in the middle

19. I don't know your situation re the need to sell in the next two days but I would tell him to get bent. Then file a dispute on evilBay just for the principle of it. I seen it on CL for a while and it didn't sell so I believe the market is just funky right now. I would grab it for 5K if I had it in a minute.

20. DJLATIN

DJLATIN

i'd tell him to go screw himself. he'll come back with the extra thousand. he's lowballing you since you probably made note that you "have" to sell it.

21. brad chevy

brad chevy

Regular asswipe Ebay buyer trying to get over. If he came to get it he has the $5000. Tell him just like it is Pay up or dissappear and be reported as a bad buyer on E-bay. And one more thing don't make another thread tommorrow saying this tool gave you a check that is bogus and you gave him the van and title.This idiot is justing trying to take advantage of you. When he comes back over have a couple of your buddies there to take care of his ass.

22. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

Had a Ranchero supposedly sold on Ebay. Buyer never came through with the money. Really nothing Ebay will do about it. It seems to me a lot of people are joining the HAMB just to sell their stuff. This really isn't fair to Ryan or the Alliance members. I fear this is going to become a huge problem as the economy gets worse.

23. DJLATIN

DJLATIN

cash in hand, no checks, no money orders and no lowballing.:cool:

24. nefareous

nefareous
    from maryland

Everyone knows that a bid on eBay is a legal contract. You technically could sue him, but its not worth the time & effort....& he knows it. You could tell him OK, but its cash upon pickup of the van.*get the money first, then tell him the title is another thousand..cash