Register now to get rid of these ads!

Making a truck into a traditional Custom... but keeping it a truck.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kevin Lee, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Gator

Gator

I'd tuck the bumpers in, maybe a front bumper out back or shorten the ends, Merc tail lights as mentioned, maybe pie cut the hood so it looks less boxy. I personally think the bedside area in front of the rear fender is too long compared to the back, but that would be a tough fix. I dig the blue, a nice shiny paint job with some restrained pinstriping.

I absolutely positively would NOT chop it, unless you're gonna section it.

Or if you wanna go balls out I saw a concept drawing somewhere with a Lincoln Cosmopolitan 'treatment' to the front, looked pretty wild.

Just my 2 cents.

2. [​IMG]

Here it is w/Photoshop chop and a simple scallop job
    [​IMG]

3. uc4me

uc4me

That's the same idea I was going with when I was modding my 55 f100. Although I will probably make it shiney someday

[​IMG]

4. I can't see in the photos but if it has tailgate chains, they have to go. I've seen a couple of F1's with Chev AD tear drop style rear fenders that give it one of those "what's different about this?" looks. Top chop of 2" maybe but I'd not go much more. And a nice paint job, and maybe tuck the bumpers in a little tighter to the body.

5. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

Kev! A shave and a haircut, tuck n roll bed cover and interior, paint n mild scallops and your set. It's good looking truck as is, but some mild shaving and perhaps a chop and you got a kool kustom truck!

6. It could be the different color but the rear fender looks odd.
    Maybe lower the fender a bit, section it and put the rear of it on a diet.
    Nice 3 piece removable hard cover with a tuck and roll treatment.
    Some lake pipes.

Cool lettering / logo

7. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Leave it as is? Nope. Not really feeling the "shop lettering" or canted quads and drawer pull grille either. I was thinking mid 50's feel and if it had a few small updates to look like it had been tweaked along the way that's fine.

So here's what I've been kicking around for a while: And when I say taking cues from '50 Mercs I mean the Custom ones. Basically treating this truck as if it were a Merc. So while stock Merc tail lights WOULD look good and are traditional, what about a treatment like the Bettancourt '49? Or '49 Buick lights turned 90 degrees? Or ditching fender mounted lights all together and using bumper guard tail lights? (this is actually the direction I am leaning)

Definitely will be chopped, and the more I wanted to clean up all of the mess of latches and vents on the hood the more sense it made to section the hood and cab. Picture a not-as-severe version of the yellow truck sodbuster posted above. Then along comes the Jimmy-built Weezner inspired "Lit Up" and pretty much cinches the deal on sectioning.

So that leaves me with the front end. What about leaving it stock and chroming the grille? And I mean chroming – not the polished stainless strips. Maybe? Maybe not.

Should I lower the back a bit more? The wheel wells make it look like the back is lower, but the running boards are raked so...

What about '54 wheel openings?

The deal is, I will continue to drive it as is, but I'm still going to improve it.

8. rockdawg

rockdawg
    from nj

How about something like this?

Attached Files:

9. Kevin,
    I suppose this is not '50s thinking but if it were mine I would like it down in the snout more than level or tail dragging. I do like the '54 wheel openings idea.

I have an extra Stude over rider if you need an over rider for your plate. I guess I could come up with a pair and you could run one on both ends then you would have something to push with. Of course you will have to drive across town to get it. :)

Malcom
    I hope that isn't yours, it looks like someone puked and called it a truck. :eek: :D:D

10. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Hmmm... overall it looks like a modern Custom. But there are a couple of ideas I might be able to use. Like frenching the headlights... but with the standard method. (not that kit) I actually think that grille could be alright too.

Chop is weird with the raked pillars. No way on those bumper dagmar things, and weird choice of shaving the hood side emblem, leaving the spears that are now too long, and leaving the "FORD" lettering too.

11. orula

orula

[​IMG]

wonderful!!!

12. If you are thinking along the lines of a '50 Merc as you styling cues I think you have to do something different with the grill rather than just chrome the stock one. Seems like it would have been sacrilage to customize a '50's Merc and leave the stock grill back in the day.

I wonder if there would be anyway to work a Merc grill surround into the front end once it is sectioned?

13. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

I like this one

Attached Files:

14. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Oh hell no... It is, however, a perfect example of what NOT to do to an F1 pickup (cab).

Since this one was mentioned, figured I'd add a photo:
    Awesome pickup!

[​IMG]

15. Burny

Burny

Slight chop (2"?, Snug the bumpers up into the fenders, Adjust the ride height slightly, lengthen the rear fender toward the cab a few inches and add a tonneau cover. And paint it...

Attached Files:

16. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Most old shop trucks I've seen (in Calif in the 70's at least) were all of the hot rod version. Big & little tires with a hot rod rake + some sort of big block & the required chrome traction bars.

Hotrod or a Custom look would work on your Ford. Keeping it usable as a truck would be primary though. Given that, those old trucks could use a way better cargo tie-down arrangement, along with making the rear suspension more heavy duty just incase you find an old motor you need to bring home. You should looking into some hide-away tie's located low on the bed wood. There is also some really nice hardwood bed wood kits now that can take some abuse.

17. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

This may be a little "Bomb"-ish...i think i got carried away:D:eek:

[​IMG]

18. Kevin...if you decide to go with factory polished stainless grille bar covers I still have that set...with an additional bar to get rid of the crank hole. If you dig the crank hole you could always slice,dice and use a body hammer to put one in...
    A tunnelled antenne behind the doors always looks cool.
    I definitely wouldn't chop it but I might see if I could get it [the front] a little lower without hurting ride quality or load capacity. I'd also get the bumpers a lot closer to the body and yes, I also like 49-50 Merc tailights on those trucks..

19. YEESH! Looks like Batman and the Riddler got together and ..... oh, never mind...

20. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Porter mufflers.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/9034513?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0" width="400" height="265" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen allowFullScreen></iframe><p>MERC TRUCK gets PORTER MUFFLERS from Rough Stock on Vimeo.</p>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  21. Pull all of the chrome, nose the hood.....I would keep the grille opening, but change the grille. Custom grille maybe?

22. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

23. That hubcap is boss!
    I know this is not exactly the direction you're thinking ,but I keep forgetting to show this to you when you are over.

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ sucka!

Attached Files:

24. Im going to bring this thread to the top I think Its a great thread.
    When I had my F1 I wanted to lower the lower valance at the same level of the running board and I wanted to lower the rear part of the lower rear fender to the running board level..
    just like these two suggested

Im guessing that hotflint was talking about something like this:

Attached Files:

25. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

here is my take on one of these trucks. needs a little chop like everyone said, 2" or so, and take a little more out of the back than the front. levels out the roof. then here is my big one. get rid of the tops of the running boards so the running boards sit closer to the bottom of the cab. just section the bottom rear of the fron fender and raise the rear fender. next i lowered your front bumper just a little bit and shave your hood emblems, door handles, and hinges.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

now where it gets to the grill i would grab the grill opening from a 51 and newer truck and narrow it to get the merc feel. run the headlights on the front of the fenders similar to the chevy AD trucks. give this thing a little more lines like a merc. also, i would get rid of the seams/ beads on the fenders. just my opinions.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  26. beater40

beater40

I always wanted to put a set of 46 merc tail lites on a truck, would fit pretty easy too I think

27. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

1 color and drive the piss out of it is my vote... dig the look already.

28. fryguy

fryguy

I think one of the overlooked items when customizing the f1 and f100 trucks is the bed width. F1 and F100 bed widths are not as wide as the cab. If you drive behind one that has been customized it really stands out, especially if wider wheels are run in the back. If you add 4-6 inches to the width of the bed it really makes a world of difference.

Fryguy