Register now to get rid of these ads!

Making a truck into a traditional Custom... but keeping it a truck.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kevin Lee, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

My truck has been on the road for a couple of years and has evolved quite a bit from the stock height farm truck it started as. I had originally wanted to go with big and littles, nerf bars and a decent paint job. A sort of hot rod "shop truck" But the more I looked at it the more sense it made to lean toward a Custom. I may never own a nicely finished Custom car — I just like hot rods too much. But to make this truck as nice as it can be and still haul stuff around is a perfect fit.

Being a '50 I figure taking cues from Mercs of the same year makes sense. Of course I have my own ideas, but I thought I'd toss it out for a group brainstorm of ideas here. Tweaking stance, bumper position, chop, etc.

My main deal is I still need to be able to drop a greasy engine in the bed and drive away.

Attached Files:

2. Plowboy

Plowboy

Simple, take the fenders off, shorten the bed to 18 inches, Channel the cab till the cab corners scrape the ground, and put the axle out about 2 feet in front of a '32 grille. Done.

Actually, I don't think your truck needs a whole hell of a lot, why are you even asking opinions?

3. Roothawg

Roothawg

Sometimes less is more........

Keep it clean and simple.

4. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

A slight chop and your good?

5. hotflint

hotflint

I built one where I pulled the front fender extension out and welded it in so that it lmatched the body line at the back of the front fender, subtle yet effective touch that unless you are familiar with these trucks you over look. Of course shaved door handles and a subtle touch I have always likes is to build curved plates to weld into the box to cap the tube and add some style

6. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Yep a mild chop and paint.

7. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I really like it just the way it is. But if ya have to, a mild chop and paint and durable colored bedliner sprayed in the bed.

8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

'49 Merc Tail Lights are a must on those rear fenders if I had it. Those always look good on trucks for some reason.

The grille is a bit more difficult. If you really had a hair up your ass you could do canted quads with a drawer pull knob grille. Maybe shave the stainless on the side hood vent and just have a smoothed opening.

Radius rear wheel opening to match the front? I'm not sure if that would be better or worse.

9. IMHO,your truck simply has class that needs little more than a basic paint job or at least paint the rear fender to match the front. HRP

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Oh and channel it so the door opens up right above the running board and deletes the "step". That would be a bit much though so never mind that.

Thick rubber mat in the bed for that greasy engine. :D

I like that blue I would just repaint it that color with a black interior. I was going to say white with powder blue inserts but seeing how you'll be messing with Greasy engines probably better to go black.

11. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

I'm with HRP make it all one color.

12. I like the way it sits, and the Merc tail lights do look right on those rear fenders, but I'm also with what HRP suggested.

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Leave it alone and just drive it and have a good time!

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My truck has always ended up hauling more than I intended for it to.

When I was at the Chevy/GMC Truckin Natonals in Ogden in the early 80's one of the trucks there had the appearance of being a trailered show queen but the owner's wife said that it went to the dump every two weeks with a load of trash and hauled other stuff on a regular basis. It did have a nice tonneau cover on the bed that helped with appearances.

When these trucks were new there were a lot of mild custom trucks that got driven to work every day, hauled the trash away on Saturday and got spiffed up for the indoor shows in the area during show season.

15. Blackie

Blackie

Pull the front edge of the rear fender forward. Filling a bit of the gap between it and the cab. A little Photoshop could show this pretty easily...

Sent from my POS phone.

16. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

C'mon where's everyone sense of adventure!!! Sure it looks good the way it is but this is a group brain storm and we're just having fun! Doesn't mean any of it would get done just what could be done to enhance the beauty of the truck.

A more appropriate title may have been "IF SAM BARRIS or VALLEY CUSTOM OWNED MY TRUCK WHAT WOULD HAVE GOTTEN DONE". \

Even Gil's Auto Body Shop Truck got some attention....
    [​IMG]

However I don't recommend this LiL Wayne Approach to the grille. :D
    [​IMG]

17. alchemy

alchemy

x3 (or 4?) on the '49 Merc taillights. Then a pearl white paint job (won't show the shallow scratches from the tree trimmings going to the compost).

18. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I've hauled a ton of shit in my OT truck from engines to complete car bodies. I mean filled it with shit but I think probably 90% of the scratches that I've gotten have been from Landscaping stuff for around the house. White is a great idea!!! Black like on my truck? Not so much.

19. I know...right?

I think I'd concentrate on the nose. I know...it's a classic, but kinda flat and stodgy IMO. How about getting some vertical line changes in there between the grille opening and the fenders. Something like a Willys nose (but not a Willys nose obviously). Tunnel and float the grille, that kind of thing.

I don't think I'd chop it.

20. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

It's screaming for some vintage lettering. Other than that, just drive the wheels off it.

21. looks good as it sits! buuuuuut if you must i agree with the merc taillights and put a little rake to its stance and call it kosher!

22. JJ,That's what is so great about post like this,,everybody has a different opinion,,some really go for the radical custom but others like it simple,,I guess I adhere to the kiss method myself.HRP

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  23. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

I like it as-is.

There is a lot to be said for the wash and wear utility that you have with it.

In my view, even a very well done custom mod, would only be a change, not necessarily an improvement.

24. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Canted quads... without a doubt, stock gille is not where it's at on the early F1's, imo... later 50's Chevy rear fenders and modify the fronts to match the body lines of the chevy rears. Rolled pans with small chrome nerf bars front and rear. If you're planning on hauling greasy engines/parts ever... a dark colored interior and tonneau cover. That's my take...

this is an F100, but it doesn't get much cooler than this...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. how did you lowered the front, and what are the size of your tires please ?, I like the height.

QUOTE=Kevin Lee;7120105]My truck has been on the road for a couple of years and has evolved quite a bit from the stock height farm truck it started as. I had originally wanted to go with big and littles, nerf bars and a decent paint job. A sort of hot rod "shop truck" But the more I looked at it the more sense it made to lean toward a Custom. I may never own a nicely finished Custom car — I just like hot rods too much. But to make this truck as nice as it can be and still haul stuff around is a perfect fit.

Being a '50 I figure taking cues from Mercs of the same year makes sense. Of course I have my own ideas, but I thought I'd toss it out for a group brainstorm of ideas here. Tweaking stance, bumper position, chop, etc.

My main deal is I still need to be able to drop a greasy engine in the bed and drive away.[/QUOTE]

26. Roothawg

Roothawg

I think it needs a pleated bed cover. Something that can be removed in 10 minutes.

I plan on building one out of plywood or like material, then covering it in a white tuck and roll.

27. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

This truck?

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ.

Attached Files:

28. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I always adhered to the KISS method when doing my own stuff because I have no business actually cutting things up. However when it comes to bench racing I let 'er rip!!! Hahaha!!! I'm with ya on keeping the truck simple. Customs are easily overdone so that the soon become a shadow what the intended purpose.

I was just referring to the virtual build process and exactly what he should go through with even though it would be kinda cool.

I'm with ya HRP!!!

29. Keven,
    I'd paint it yellow and call it the Banana if it were mine. :D:D

I don't see much more that I would do to it other than paint and maybe a very mild chop. I know a fella that is a pretty good striper that could hook you up with some lines. ;)

30. MercMark

MercMark

Not really my cup of tea, but skirts and a sun visor give a custom look...

Attached Files: