Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Barn fell down,... this is a "Woods Find" (and not much of that)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harms Way, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Harms Way

Harms Way

I actually have prided myself over the years, on my ability to spot things at a swap meet, in a barn, in a garage, in a field,.. and yes,.. even in the woods,..
    This one kind of got away from me, and kind of makes me re-think my pride in my razor sharp eyes, and cunning discernment.....

Now,.. this isn't much to write home about, and it's no big deal, (like finding a Deuce in the woods would be),... But its always cool when you find something you didn't know even existed,... especially when it's right under your nose.

I went to leave my shop the other day and I noticed the wind blew down an old poplar tree that was standing behind a very old shed, that fell over the year before,.... This was on some property about 400 yards away from my shops front door,...

The sun was hitting something just right, and I thought I could see what looked like a old tractor tire,... I jumped in my truck, and couldn't see it anymore,... So I thought I would investigate,...:cool:

Now this property belongs to a friend, or I would never just poke around on it,... But to my surprise,... I walked up on a really heavy home made Tractor/ Doodle Bug,... Now,.... In and of itself, its no big deal,... kind of a hack job really,.. But just to think this thing have been sitting 400 yards from my shops front door for decades, and I never knew about it was kind of cool !

I called my friends who own the property, and asked them about it,... They said "what tractor ?" As I described it,.. the wife smiled and said,... "That was Dads old home made tractor,.. he built it out of the old Wercker,.... I thought he junked that thing back in the 60's !

Her Father and Grandfather were the original owners of my shop,.. that was a Mobil Station built in 1937,.... Theres 40 acres back there,.. and I asked them if I could go exploring back there someday soon,.... "She told me I was welcome to any time" ,...But Dad scrapped all the old cars and junk back there back in the 60's,.... Then she looked at me for a minute and said,... But apparently,... He might not have scrapped everything. :cool:

This will most likely not turn up anything,... But, it sounds like it might be a nice walk in the woods. (I'll let you know if I find anything else :D)

Below are the cell phone pictures of the Doodle Bug in question,.....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Complete with an authentic bomber seat and Pinto gas tank !! Or would that be an ejection seat??

3. 94hoghead

94hoghead

quite a find. but what to do with it.....

4. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

nice rubber rake

5. 383 240z

383 240z

Ran when parked! Keith

6. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

Wait till next Tuesday and take your rifle with you...it's opening day for deer. Up at our deer camp in the U.P.we use the shell of a 46-48 Ford Sedan as a marker where to turn on one of the trails we use.

7. The best time to go looking for more is going to be either a good midwinter thaw, or spring, before the leaves are back but after the snow's flattened down all the grass and weeds.

Looks like he was good enough to cover the carb, who knows, maybe the motor isn't too bad inside.

8. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

I love stuff like this...............the possibilities. Super short wheel base, slightly forward cab, blown small block of your choice, you know just somethin to play with in a parade or in the fields....just kiddin but a cool find.

9. greg ducato

greg ducato

Cool! The only "Deuce in the Woods" I ever found had to be removed from my shoe with a stick...:eek:

10. Harms Way

Harms Way

Must have missed that,... I found old rusty rakes, and a couple shovels,... :cool::D

11. Vendome

Vendome

I thought all of the heavy trucks were fitted with parallel leaf springs but this tractor seems to have the single transverse spring. Anyone know more? The front wheel appears to be ton and a half.

12. Harms Way

Harms Way

About 15 years ago,. I did find this one in the woods.
    [​IMG]

13. very cool story. Good luck with your searchs.

14. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

that would be cool to drag out and get it running and paint it up.

15. burnin53

burnin53
    from cuba,n.y.

I'm not sure,but I think '38 went to parallel leafs.

16. So, when are you dragging it over to your place?

17. pitman

pitman

Don't let Plowboy near it...it is one of the tools of his trade,
    next thing you know it will be repowered & parked at Hef's!

18. RAY With

RAY With

When you can find any thing it makes for an interesting trip and that's a cool find and you already know the history !

19. harpboys4

harpboys4
    from So Cal

That is very cool.That is what sucks about living in LA , all I have is houses all around me with no barns,fields or farms.Well.... Maybe I will come across a "Driveway find".

20. Harms Way

Harms Way

As terrible as this might sound,.... If they gave it to me, I'm really not 100% sure I would take it,.... Then again ,... ya' never know.