Register now to get rid of these ads!

ICON Derelict

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ehrawn, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Greezeball

Greezeball

Love that interior. Gator skin on the seats is too cool and would be super cool in something like a early 50s late forties style custom. Like a 40 merc or 36 roadster or 3 window.

2. Seems like they lost their way with the interior...

3. That's a lot of work for a car that the average person will still think looks like shit and is a piece of junk because the paint's shot.

4. Paul Y

Paul Y

I really like it. I suppose the good thing about it being 'unpainted' is that you would not have to worry about stone chips, parking ding etc which means that it will get driven more and harder!

If it was mine I would paint it the original colours and make it a real 'restomod', maybe wind the back down or the front up a notch to level out the stance and just use it everyday.

As for the interior.... I like it. But I reserve the right to change my mind later!

P.

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

The term you are referring to (from the '60s: coined by Gray Baskerville) was Resto ROD, not 'mod'. Brock Yates said 'Restomod', with some poetic license. People quote you when you're 'published'...

Look again at that 'gator skin. Reminds me of the old plastic seat covers they used to sell at Newhouse Automotive and J.C. Whitney in the very early '50s.

That shit should be left on Goodguise cowboy boots.

And Ditto on the steering wheel and pedals...

6. No, that was the RESTO-ROD craze. Cowl lamps, spare tires, stockish looking two tones etc

7. We replied at the same time and yes you are right, some folks listen, apparently you and I. ;)

8. Restomod was a later term, perhaps riffing off of resto rod.

A lot of non-car folks find the idea of barn finds to be very interesting, so I can see why folks might get excited about a patina car like that.

Nonetheless, it's only a sleeper to those who know nothing about cars. To those that do, the wheels and tires give it all away.

9. Gromit

Gromit

Like the gator leather, it looks rough and cracked like the outside finish, But the fact that it prolly cost more than I make in a year does kill the buzz. It's not something I'd build, but i have no issues with making a car safe and drivable while maintaining a style you like.

10. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

I am aware of the source of Resto-Mod, although maligning Brock Yates for his ignorance on a particular car's style doesn't ring well with me. I don't have a problem with someone of his stature coining a descriptive phrase or term. RestoMods certainly ARE Ghay-Ass, in the worst way. A nice 57 Vette body sitting on a 2012 Frame with 22" conestoga wagon wheels is just plain ugly. As a true hotrodder, resto-mods provide nothing to appreciate and lots to despise. I'm tired of seeing nice looking 28-32 rods (hot or street) with larger bling wheels and tires that look like they belong on a 'drifter' car.

11. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

I kinda like it. I dont mind the updated chassis, dont like the body finish nor wheel/tire choice.
    I think the iterior is pretty wild, but theres something about it that throws me off, but i dont know what it is.
    I guess w/ a quick paint job and a shoe swap it could be a bitchin daily.