Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T Pics of my Garage Condo Shop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roadsir, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Roadsir

Roadsir

I thought I'd post a few pictures of my 20X40 Garage Condo that I bought this summer.

I've been spending weekends painting, sealing the floor, wiring, scrounging lights, signs, searching craigslist etc.

I need to get my compressor down there, run airlines. I plan on building a deep shelf across the front and down the right side. I still need some cabinets etc but its starting to shape up.

I am interested in storage ideas, anything to keep stuff off the floors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BLUECOLLARKUSTOMS

BLUECOLLARKUSTOMS

Have you been over to the Garage Journal....lots of ideas there.

3. Roadsir

Roadsir

I check it out once a month or so for ideas. I'll probably post over there too.

4. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

I bought a condo shop for my business about two years ago. The one I bought was built as two unit in one building and looks more like a two car gargle on steroids.

I got in on the ground floor, before the buildings were started so I was able to have mine build to my specifications. The first was gas fired radiant tube heat, way better than the standard forced air type units. The second thing I had them do is install outlets in the ceiling for retractable power cords. I have them adjusted to be just above the height of my forklift but within reach to pull down. I never run extension cords in my shop. I also have a retractable air hose high up on the back wall, above my air compressor.

I also had an office built the length of the shop with storage above which adds another 500 ft of usable space to the shop. I've seen units with full sized mezzanines with work benches under them with full lighting. Really make a nice work area with all that bright light.

5. Looks clean, today is cleaning day in mine. I lose it every 3 weeks or so and have to start over!

6. WOW!! Whats something like that cost. My 2 car sucks, I had to downsize from my 2.5 and that .5 makes a big difference when you have barbie jeeps, bikes, lawnmower etc to deal with. I would love to have something like this, gotta be expensive I am sure

7. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

I really like the single bright colored wall. More would have been too much. Looks really good and brightens up the space. Any plans for a lift or a mezzanine? It looks like you've got a the vertical space.

8. -Brent-

-Brent-

As for keeping stuff off the floor, I'd say look up pallet racking, like Interlake teardrop racks. You can get something that's tall enough to utilize the ceiling height and widths from 24" and up.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Part of the ideal situation if one of my 2.00 power ball tickets ever paid off would be to move to where I would really like to live and build a complex of condo garages to be used by car guys in the area who either don't have a place for their enthusiast car or have too many restrictions to work on a car at home.

Years ago in Waco, tx I had some friends who rented a large storage unit and used it as a shop for their hot rods and race cars. That worked pretty good for the most part.

Good looking shop setup Nuroadsir, I wish I had anywhere near close to that amount of room here at home.

10. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a 30x40 with 14' ceilings. I have a 30x8 Mezzanine across the back with an 8x8 office area between it and the stairway. Unless you have some unusual equipment, half the space in a building with 14' foot ceilings is just wasted. If I had mine to do over, I'd make the mezzanine at least twice as big. As to cost, mine was $32,000 with an additional $4500 to build the mezzanine, including pallet racking. I was hesitant to put the prices in here at first, but this has turned out to be such a good deal I thought I'd share. If you figure 30% down and a 5% mortgage, the monthly cost is quite low. Where I am the property taxes and maintenance fee are less than $600 per year, so you can be in there for well under $300 a month total. This is one of the best things I have done lately.

Heating in the winter will add to the cost, but I'm in Florida then. In the spring and fall I have a propane heater that works well and is pretty inexpensive. I let my pals use my shop in the winter to fix their snowmobiles, and they say the 70,000 BTU heater works well then, too.

11. OLLIN

OLLIN

there was an old thread on here somewhere where the guy built an insulated closet thing for his compressor, and he put the feet on rubber insulators.
    try searching for that one, I thought it was a good idea.

12. Standard gas&oil

Standard gas&oil
    from USA #1

Nice job on the old green porcelain gas station lights.

13. Roadsir

Roadsir

I Wish I could have got in the the ground floor, a few others did and managed to get floor drains (though there is not running water) and a few other things that go in during intitial construction

I know what you mean...The nice thing about this space is I can walk away from a project without have to put everything away...

Actually quite affordable especially in this economy. I'm in it for $27 per sq ft and thats cemented, insulated, insulated door, and heater included.

It's got a 14' ceiling. Still thinking about a mezzanine, or actually using pallet rack uprights and beams to suport a mezzanine.

Thanks for the input. I am considering the mezzanine idea more. I have seen grated mezzanine decking on craigslist that would let some light through...might be nice to have.

I'll search.. If I mezzanine the compressor could go up top too. A neighbor did that in his condo.

Thanks!

14. Superfly

Superfly
    from Minnisota

nice garage but way to unluttered

15. dirtybirdy

dirtybirdy

Nice place.. are these the ones in the motorplex down past eden prarie????

if so glad to see someone using them for more than a giant display case

16. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

I have a few different types of condos in my area. The complex I bought into are aimed at small businesses and hobbies ts. The building in this complex all have utility hook ups although you don't have to have them hooked up. Also, the buildings are all independent of each of other so we have windows all the way around except in the back wall. I had them add two the back wall.

[​IMG]

The other complex must be like what you're in. It consists of two long buildings with dividing walls to separate the units. This one has a single toilet/wash area.

[​IMG]

I like the individual buildings a lot better. It gives me a better feeling of owning my own individual building. They do cost a little more, mine cost fully built out, $235K. I'm also locateded in a prime industrial park right off the freeway so I am paying for the convenience which is important for my business.

17. Friend of mine bought a delivery van body off craigslist cheap, stripped off the sides and roof, added a couple more longbeams, sandblasted and painted the bottom, and put it up on steel legs as his mezzanine. He added a railing and steps once it was in place. Don't remember if he told me his total cost; but he said it was way cheaper than fabbing the whole thing.

18. Roadsir

Roadsir

Ask for another picture 12 mos from now...We'll see how long it stays this way.

No, these are low buck. Similar to the lower picture that BobJ49F2 posted below. Pretty much a two-toned steel pole barn (with no brick trim) and sub-divided. As time goes on I may look at buying my neighbor out. We'll see.

I'm in my unit for 1/10 the single unit cost your reference, but obviously that is not a valid comparison. On the opposite end of town there are new steel building on lots, cemented out, no insulation or heat for $50-$80K depending on ammenities.

Thats really being creative and resourceful....

19. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Mine came in at about $235K, fully insulated, heat, water and electricity. The building I have is actually considered two units, 2500 sq. ft. The buildings are built in mirror design, each half is a mirror image with separate utilities so if you want you could have a wall built straight down the middle to divide the two halves. I had a toilet installed on one side along with an office and small kitchen/break room. Maybe some day if I can ever retire I'll build the wall and rent out two spaces.

20. Fordtudor37

Fordtudor37

I can't run with you big dogs, but they do look nice.
    Call me jealous !

My senior your of high school (25+ years ago) I designed a garage with condo or town house unit on the second floor.
    Prerequisite was it had to be capable of being built to withstand all weather conditions and terrain types.
    My dream is one day to be able to build it for real.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011

21. It will look just as clean :D, I know you.