Register now to get rid of these ads!

Swap meets, buy it when you see it....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by darkk, Nov 7, 2011.

1. darkk

darkk

Went to 2 swap meets this weekend. Thompson Speedway and Lake Compounce here in Ct. Found a pair of Chevy cabs with extra parts I was interested in at Thompson with Title to one. The price was pretty fair, just wanted to think on it a couple hours, got the guys cell number and called several times a couple hours later. No answer, called several times more over the weekend, guess he doesn't want to sell them to me. I guess that's what I get for being indecisive, probably lost that deal. :(

2. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

hind site is always 20/20.:eek:
    if it was meant to be so be it. you know if ya would bought em,you would have found 10 more cheaper.well-- thats the story of my life.:( what year were they?

3. mike budniewski

mike budniewski

he who hesitates is lost!

4. Never sit on the pot, go ahead and poop.

5. Larry T

Larry T

Ya snooze, ya lose.

Then again, you might see them at a swap meet later for a better price. You don't usually get the best deals by jumping at the first opportunity.
    Larry T

6. F&J

F&J

This weekends 2 swaps were the last ones here till spring.... that makes stuff sell better/quicker.

DarkK; what are you looking for? I'm close by in Mansfield and can spread the word.

7. fuzzface

fuzzface

i did something similar but i thought i made my decision fast enough. went to elkhorn swap meet and saw a coupe body that was an old race car body. both top sides were beat in, no title. Hemmed and awed for just 2 rows and told the wife, i'm going back and buy the coupe body. walked straight back and as i got there he was just marking it sold.

what makes it worse, that night i see it on ebay and watched it for the week. the new owner made a little over $2,000 on it.

8. As a drag racer I was just going to say that Larry.

Well.... I don't care to admit it but I guess I'm getting old and a veteran of swap meets, been going to Carlisle for over 30 years now.

Many, many years ago I passed on a factory AM/FM radio for my '65 GTO for $150.00. I just couldn't/wouldn't pay 150 bucks for a used mono AM/FM radio when I could've bought a brand new Pioneer Super Tuner (remember those:D) for a little less.

Well over the years I watched that factory AM/FM go from 150 to 400 to 600 and I finally got one for a rediculous $1000.00.

Lifes lesson learned. Now if I see it and I can use it, I BUY IT! It's not gonna get any cheaper later.

9. Larry T

Larry T

Yea, sometimes you miss a deal, but don't forget the one's that got better or the stuff you got that was better for the same price. Off the top of my head I can think of: Harleys, TCI transmission and convertor, various carbs and intakes, 409's (but I don't wait on them anymore if it's a reasonable price). LOTS of variation on vintage parts (stock & hot rod)too.

Kind of hard to compare buy now against waiting. We know what we missed in the past, we don't know what's gonna show up in the future. :)
    Larry T

10. Sqeaky Hinge

Sqeaky Hinge

Instead of calling him back , I woulda just walked back by to see if they were still there or not , you never know , the longer stuff sets , the cheaper they may get , and then , you know for sure , if they were gone , what did you waste , and if they were still there , you can alway say " Look , I'm getting ready to go to the house , I'll give you....."and see what happens....my dad always said "Money talks , Bullshit walks"

11. darkk

darkk

Both Chevys, a 39 w/1 door usauble parts cab w/title and vin # tag on cowl, and a 40 w/2 doors buildable,with parts, no frames.

36-40 Chevy or 35-37 Ford. Paper is essential. Really need to have proof of ownership. Especially if from out of state. Looking for the same as everyone else. Reasonably priced

We were on our way out the door at the time. We were home by the time I decided. Seller said he would be there both sat and sun. Still kicking myself in the a$$ over this one.

12. csimonds

csimonds

Hey Darkk, sorry to ask a possible stupid question, but why do you need proof of ownership? Are you not registering in CT?
    Chuck

13. If you walk away from it you have to assume it won't be there after that.

14. brad chevy

brad chevy

I set up at swapmeets and anytime I get that let me think about it or I'll be back customer I just move on to the next customer. Let me get your phone number is another line used too. If you look at a item at a swapmeet get it then or somebody else will. I like the guys that come back two hours later looking for the item they had to think about. I have bought alot of items right out from under guys standing there bickering prices of vendors parts. I had a set of mags at the swapmeet yesterday. Had $300 on them,guy walks up says I'll take them,another guys stops and says I'll do $350 on them and this idiot really thought I was going to screw the buyer.What an ass.

15. From one seller to another................

You know how to vend!

16. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

be backs are a dime a dozen.If its within your price range and its what you want get it.

17. brad2v

brad2v

Yup, if there's anything I've learned, if I see something I want, and can afford it, I grab it. I've missed waaaaayy to much cool stuff by 'thinking about it'.

18. Chevy55

Chevy55
    from Nebraska

I have learned the hard way that if you see something rare and priced right that someone else will see it and want it too. If I see something I really need I dont leave that spot until it is bought.

19. darkk

darkk

Yes, registering in Ct. DMV wants either the title or the last registration for proof of ownership. They already told me a plain bill of sale is not enough for out of state paperwork. They want proof that the person I buy from is legal owner...hence title or reg. And if it was last registered in Ct they want to know who the last owner was. If you know something I don't please PM me with the details or I'll give you my cell number and we can talk.

** For the *I'll be back crowd** I told the guy I was interested and needed to think about it for a couple hours. I didn't expect him to hold anything without a deposit. I don't bull sh*t people, especially at swap meets. I'm not pissed at the guy if he sold it. That's just the way it is. I'm handicap/walking and it was a long ways around. I needed to sit and he was at the far end from where I was. I drove home and called him about an hour or so later. I do think he should at least be courteous enough to return my call. We did discuss him delivering it instead of taking it back home if I bought it. It was just one of those on the fence decisions. I know I should have just bought the damned thing. Live and learn.....

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  20. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

that happened to me on 4 items at the two swap meets I went to this weekend, one was on a heater, a super small aluminum overflow tank, a shop chair and a cool aluminum sign all low dollar stuff, one you first get to these swap meets they are so big and its easy to get distracted with what else it out there, you only have so much money in your pocket and you dont want to be short for the rare items you stumble across. It usually works out in the end, just after i walked away i saw the old beat up work chair sell for 10 bucks, towards the end of the day I found a new condition work chair that was soooo much nicer and easily cost a $75-100 new for $5, i found a heater that was a little more beat up but more btus for $10 less than the other, i lost out on the sign and small tank up oh well i will find other deals another day

21. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

also its a good indication if you dont buy it right away you really dont need it or even if you do need it its not the condition you want it in

22. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

Yes Sir " Be Back Powder " That is some smelly stuff!

23. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Yeah, it's the automotive equivalent of saying "I'll call you" to a girl, and then never doing it. I was selling at Carlisle and a guy who had been molesting a '57-'64 Pontiac center section I had there finally said, "Well, where are you located?", I replied, "About six feet directly in front of you". If you really need/want it, just shut up and buy it. If you DON'T want to buy it, don't offer any lame excuses.....just say "okay, thanks" and walk away. Asking the price of something doesn't lock you into buying it, but I don't need to hear any whining either.

24. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

if you have a bill of sale and a vin verification done by required person (raymond's auto does them in N Franklin, CT you do not need a title...especially for vintage tin.

25. I like the "6 feet in front of you" thing.

I'll have to use that next time

26. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

unless you are from out of state like MA, you need bill of sale and title...MA sucks

27. darkk

darkk

That works if you have *proof* from last owner. I just Reg'd my out of state coupe but they asked for last owner name to check in the system. Heathers Garage in Mansfield also does Vin # verification.

28. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

good comment! "About six feet directly in front of you"

29. csimonds

csimonds

Shit man, when I reg'd the Buick I had a state cop do the vin check, and brought the bill of sale and vin check paperwork in, walked out 15 minutes later with my plates...... If you need any other help PM me, I'm sure I can help you out with the DMV
    Chuck

30. CT doesn't know the vehicle is from out of state unless, of course, you tell them it's from out of state. Surely after a few years any record of a vehicle that's been inactive goes out of their computer system.

As for the swap meet thing, I even swap around my crates and don't always bring the same things to every show, so even if I do have it at the end of the day at one show, I might not bring it to the next one seeing as it didn't sell - I'll bring something else instead and try that.