Register now to get rid of these ads!

tribute build to my deceased son, his 1948 dodge truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skull, Jul 19, 2011.

1. 4msfam

4msfam

A great truck, but an even better memory for you to have of him. I'm an ICU nurse at a Children's hospital... no parent should go through a loss like that.... a little bit of me goes with each child we lose.

Take care of yourself, and enjoy the rides with him always.

On a upbeat note, I LOVE the color and patina your truck has... I say it's done now!

2. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Paased ya today on Capitol way. Glad to see it out

3. rat pup

rat pup
    from houston

Im very sorry for your loss friend, I know that your boy is very proud of you and how the truck turned out! looks great, God bless you friend

4. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

You're a good daddy and your little boy knows it. I'm sure he was with you the entire time you were building. What an awesome way to keep his memory alive. Bet you a million bucks that when you see him again in heaven, that he'll say "right on, rad truck dad!" Get personalized plates with his name so everyone will know who that truck really belongs to. Blessings for you and your family. I'm sure he's proud of you.

5. yruhot

yruhot

Sorry to hear about your tragic loss, but is sounds like you have some great friends indeed in your time of need. Truck looks great no matter what you do with it. YRUHOT..Doug

6. skull

skull

gotta love:rolleyes:the little problems that pop up unexpectedly.

now that the weather is supposed to be getting better, l took the truck out for a drive and about 3 miles from home it died. towed it back here and for about 2 weeks its been driving me nuts. it has fuel but would not pick it up. pour a little gas into the carb and VR00M. sooooooo, l had 2 fuel pumps on the shelf, come off running motors so l figured they were good, put one on, nothing, changed it to the other one, still nothing. just put new filters on and still no go

well to day l said screwit, brand new mechanical fuel pump, new filters again, one just coming outta the fuel tank line and one just before the carb, l ran all new lines and, yaaaaaa, she runs again. drove it all over the yard and seems fine.

the littlest thing can turn into such a pain.

test drive this week-end to a friends, he's about 15 miles away, that is the shake down run before car show & cruisin' season.

Later :cool:

7. skull

skull

l think my son is haunting his truck.

on the shake down run l didn't even make it to the end of the driveway and it blew the freeze plug under the starter. well, l put in a new freeze plug this morning.

after l fixed the freeze plug l decided that was my last problem for awhile.

wouldn't ya know it, one more gremlin this afternoon. taking my buddy home, the truck wouldn't start at the gas station after filling it up. she turned over real slow, jumped it and fired right up. we were closer to his place so we figured run it over there and fix it. hahhahahhaaa, right :rolleyes: we made it far as the bridge at the old brewery in town, she died right in the middle in the left lane and nowhere to pull over.

a nice gentleman pulled up, gave a ride to my friend who got a tow strap and his car, then we took it to his place.

l took the alternator and battery to autozone, tested them, good alternator, bad battery.

tomorrow or the next day l'll get a battery and l HOPE that's the end of the fun for a little bit.

AND l still enjoyed driving her, and all in all not a bad day, another friend showed up as we were towing her and after dropping off the truck, he ran me all over to do what l needed and brought me home.

half the fun of owning a hot rod, fix it, fix it again, enjoy the experience :D

8. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

it just part of having a hotrod. i am sure you son is looking down with a smile everytime you take it out for a drive. I will forward to seeing it this season. (really want to see how the motor is in there and the set back...)

9. skull

skull

AWESOME DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jimmy's son, my 9 year old grandson, showed up from florida today

l was in the process of building the truck when he left. he'd sit in it pretend to drive when it was in the garage in pieces.

today was the first time he saw it since finished. he loved it. we went for a ride, so cool to have my grandson in my son's truck. his and my smile was ear to ear.

Attached Files:

10. skull

skull

l took the truck to the high school skill center car show today and won people's choice for best classic :D

the irony, the "TROPHY" is a complete car care kit, brushes, wash mitts, soft cloth, special soap and wax..my friend's thought the award was really funny,

gotta love your pals :rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  11. skull

skull

''tooned''

a very cool dude did the truck drawing for ''us''

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  12. captmullette

captmullette

god love you.......

13. SaltCoupe

SaltCoupe
    from Indiana

Sorry for your loss, but I'm sure Jimmy enjoys the truck with you every time you drive it. Thank you for an inspiring story!

14. crapshoot

crapshoot

sorry to hear about your loss i truely do feel for ya. the truck turned out nice iam sure you made him proud. i dig the wheel barrow trick never would have thought of that,lol great looking rig

15. Way to go dad !!!!!! Doing the right thing,making the full circle !!!!!! God Bless you and your good friends !!!!!

16. southern thunder

southern thunder

Sorrry for your loss, yep, Jimmy is right there with you , may God bless, and minister to you and yours in your pain.

17. skull

skull

l got my license plate on,,,,

licensed as a classic today so never have to buy tabs again:D

l had a pile of old plates and went thru them and found the perfect one,,,

UN 1548

15 is the age of when Jimmy died,,,,

48 is the year of the truck,,

weird l had that plate laying around,,

l think it's a perfect fit for the tribute truck.

Attached Files:

18. skull

skull

some good things have happened in my life since l got the truck running.

another blessing came my way in the form of the good guys show that will be at the end July at the Puyllayup fair grounds.

my friend won a complementary registration entry for the show and could not use it, so he gave it to me.

l sent it in with a pic and requested to be inside. l told the story of why the truck is special to me and that this is the 10th anniversary of my son's death.

considering the number of vehicles that are entered into the show, they chose very few to be inside. l got invited to be in the showplex building and get a ''award of excellence'':eek:

19. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

KICK ASS! glad things are going good for ya.--chuck
    P/S love the plate!

20. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Love the truck and what you have done with it so far. Also the fact that you are keeping the memory of your son alive.

I have known two friends who lost their sons at or near 18 and it was terrible. I can't imagine losing my own son. God willing that will not happen.

I only have one request, that being if you get it painted please do not use bright shiney, "Please look at me Red" or also known as "Resale Red" ;) :D

21. skull

skull

Blue One '' l only have one request, that being if you get it painted please do not use bright shiney, "Please look at me Red" or also known as "Resale Red" '' ;):D

also sometimes referred to as ''ARREST ME RED'':eek:

not to worry, the way it looks is how it is going to stay:D

l have had so many good people talk to me about paint and when l tell them the history of the truck most say ''oh-well then better not paint it''. so as to paint, the conclusion l came up with is the boy sat in it, made ''VROOOOM'' noises in it and helped me work on it the way the body looks now, so in order to preserve the memories the general concision is leave it alone. that is what l am going to do for now, my other son, Jimmy's younger brother wants the truck and l told him some day it will be his and if he paints it, that up to him.

22. Sorry for your loss. The truck looks great as it sits. Glad to see you're driving it in tribute to your son.

23. skull

skull

the good guys show went great last week-end:D

l had people talking to me all the time, lots of pics being taken and l let a lot of kids & adults sit in her, many told me they had one or learned to drive in a old dodge truck.

man l was happy, all the mega-$$$$$ machines inside and then there was my old hot rod.

met a few HAMB members and they are some cool people.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  24. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

God bless you and your family

R.I.P. AND God Speed to your Son.....

25. Awesome! Congrats and God bless!

26. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

curious, how did you get that license plate registered.. normally you need to have a date correct license plate? that is a later version?

27. skull

skull

did ya check it out in person at the show:confused:.

about the plate, silence is golden, they didn't ask and l didn't tell.

l just kept my big mouth shut for once:D

28. GEEZZER

GEEZZER

God bless you and Jimmy

29. jimn3d

jimn3d

I am sorry for your loss.. How far are you from Tukwila? Maybe we could meet for coffee one weekend.. its on me!

30. skull

skull

l have been driving Jimmy's truck when the weather permits.

this year was the 11th year and was hard to handle, the day he passed away, a Thursday, was the same day this year's anniversary fell on. l just sat and remembered the good times in the morning and took the the truck for drive to visit his gravesite later in the day.

l want to thank every one for there good wishes, it helps me deal with this hole in my heart.