Register now to get rid of these ads!

Odd size screws on old Fords????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sidevalve8ba, Nov 6, 2011.

1. I am in the process of putting the doors back together and mounting them on my '32 Ford pickup. I can't help but notice what I think are odd size screws on things like those that attach the door latch mechanism to the door and the striker plates. And of course this project has been going on for so many years that locating the original screws is hopeless. A #10 screw is way too loose on the door latches. I am sure some of you have run into this. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?:confused:

2. Andy

Andy

Henry loved #12 screws. They are bigger than a #10 and smaller than a 1/4". They were used everywhere. Common usage is the floorboard screws. A bolt and nut store or the old Ford suppliers should fix you up.
    I like jiggly front ends. :cool:

3. Thanks, I'll give #12's a shot.

4. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

RN there is your best source, but for hunting the fasteners in the wild or finding taps and dies get hold of a catalog from a place like MSC industrial supply.
    Wait'll you get to the nut for the vent handle!

A source for information: The various Ford parts catalogs often list the fasteners after the parts in the main list...the number given cross references to the "Standard Hardware" list at the back of some of the catalogs, where you get full specs on threads and sizes. If a fastener has a regular Ford part number in the main listing, it is a Ford-only special and not a standard hardware item.

6. roundvalley

roundvalley

If your not concerned about the exact screw size, run a 1/4-20 tap.

Worked for me over the years .

7. gtkane

gtkane

I got a whole bag of #12x¼" from my local fastenall. Cost about 4 bucks for 30 of them.