Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Barn find or Hoarding!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CRUZN60, Sep 8, 2011.

1. fuzzface

fuzzface

Yea, i thought i just missed those 2 some how but with what you said, maybe they didn't auction them then. i also noticed right before they got done selling the cars, 1 said reserve not met. i'm not sure which 1 now. i wasn't paying attention to the red there is no reserve, so i'm not sure which cars had a reserve or not now. I just presumed this whole auction was a no reserve auction. i wish i had paid closer attention now to that part.

i saw very little of the parts sell. What i did see sell, yes, I thought that stuff brought good money.

2. Couldn't have said it better. I'd rather have one masterpiece than 100 unbuilt cars.

3. what price was the final bid on the 1930/31 Cabroliets? think their was one of each......thanks

4. Came home with some Ford truck steering wheels & Dodge taillights. Overall a great experience. Met lots of good people & heard several stories about Hartung, but who knows which ones are true?
    Tryed to bid on the '32 stuff but it all got out of hand. Grilles & shells for $1,600 is a bit much. The 32 Sedan that went for $16,000 was in good shape but not for that money.
    I should have gone higher on the 35, which was nice, but stopped short.
    The answer to the original question on this topic....I would say hoarder...Lee did not do much in the way of taking care of his things. He just collected them & put them in the barn. Had some of these cars been taken better care of they may have brought more.
    The motorcycles were the hit of the show.

5. 49mercuryblues

49mercuryblues
    from illinois

I made it home with a lot of seven oil auto lights and a set of Ford emblems.
    Bid on many lots Thursday and Saturday but I stuck to my limits, many lots brought very good money. It was a good time. Also met many good folks, great stories.
    My Son went with me and had a great time. I don't want to call it hording, I like the word "Collection", but would not call it a barn find just because it was not forgotten, nor lost or abandoned. I see it as a Collection dipersed. I like the pieces I bought and they will probably leave my ownership in a similar way some day.

6. alsancle

alsancle

Hoarding is when you can't walk around your house because it's piled high with crap. When people show up and spend 4 or 5 million dollars for your junk then it is absolutely collecting.

7. studematt

studematt

Yep. Thats what I thought.

8. studematt

studematt

I think he started as a collector and turned into a hoarder. When you end up living in a corner of the building housing millions of dollars worth of good stuff with no running water or power there might be a problem.

9. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

Unfortunatly they were not in a climate controlled enviorment.You could see high water marks on some. He was a collector who crossed over to hoarder. Iknow a guy who went there for 30 years. He said suddenly he just started putting stuff on top of cars. After a while all you could see was grills.

10. DrJ

DrJ

If it wasn't for 'hoarders" there wouldn't be so many old cars left as there are now!

11. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

According to Lee, the better of the '32 tudors was bought new by his father which probably explains why it was in decent shape; the odd windshield in it was from an Essex - the original broke and his father fixed it with what he had on hand.

12. barney rubble

barney rubble

I find it hard to considering it hoarding. The man took his profession and turn it into something he enjoyed and ended up making it worth, by what some are saying, a few million dollars. That sounds like some very good investing to me. I know that I am not the only one on here that will not leave this world in the same financial position Lee did. JMO.

13. MODELA30

MODELA30

I THINK OF IT AS A GUY THAT MIGHT BUILD A PROJECT CAR OR BIKE HE GOES TO SWAP MEETS OR AUCTIONS TO FIND PARTS HE MIGHT NEED AND THEN HE MIGHT SEE A PART HE HAD TROBLE FINDING WHEN HE WAS BUILDING THE INITIAL PROJECT OR EVEN A GOOD DEAL ON A CAR OR BIKE ,SO HE SAYS WELL I SHOULD BUY IT HE THEN BUYS IT FOR A FUTURE PROJECT THEN HE DOES IT OVER AND OVER AGAIN BEFORE YOU KNOW IT HE HAS A TON OF SHIT AND WELL YOU KNOW. I THINK IF YOU ARE A GREASE MONKEY LIKE I CONSIDER MYSELF TO BE IT JUST STARTS TO HAPPEN YOU START COLLECTING OR HOARDING PARTS. I MIGHT HAVE A SMALL COLLECTION IF I COMPAIR MYSELF TO LEE, BUT STILL HAVE THE SAME SICKNESS IF YOU CAN CALL IT THAT. IF YOU SEE IT AS A INVESTMENT RIGHT NOW IN THIS DAY AND AGE ANYTHING WILL DO BETTER THAN YOUR CD OR 401K THINK ABOUT IT. YOU WOULD MAKE MORE MONEY SELLING ORANGES IN A STREET CORNER THAN YOUR MONEY IN THE BANK. Knuck From Indiana.

14. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

Both cars sold,neither was pulled.The tudor sold for $700,forget what the `37 sold for but it went to a guy that said: "F&ck the HCPU rules,Im bringin my dually `66 Chevy next year." lol

15. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

You mean the 1941 FORD convertible right?

16. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

I think the `41 Ford fordor was the best deal of the day at $1750,with the `41 Lincoln a close second. The `37 Zephyr was well-bought and went to a HAMB`r too!

17. titus

titus

who bought the zephyr?

i just went thru the results, glad i decided not to go cause there were some stupid prices paid for some stuff, alot of the speed equipment went for stupid crazy prices, makes me want to have a auction!

18. fuzzface

fuzzface

At first i didn't think the tudor and the 37 ford sold but they did. the '37 ford sold for $4025(with premium). i got confused. the 37 ford is the lot that had the reserve and it must of met it right before the hammer fell because they are saying it sold on the web now but i thought it said reserve wasn't met on my screen when it was being auctioned. i was using my backup computer that runs slow, so it might not of kept up when it switched to the next car. '37 was the only lot i'm aware of that had a reserve on it

19. Pistnbroke

Pistnbroke
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

$1,725.00

20. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

She was rough and tons of plastic hiding many issues a lot of love needed for this one plus she was stripped of everything.

21. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Jeff let me know when your selling the un estate sale. Good deals were in big lots with treasures hiding in the bottom of the boxes or miss items or generalize lots . You would have had a blast Jeff:D

22. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Cheap doesn't make it a good deal but just inexpensive

23. 55/98

55/98
    from washington

This guy was a collector that ran out of room, I am glad he did collect everything he did, other wise it would already be gone, either destroyed or in someone elses collection. Now it was availible to everyone. Ithank everyone like him for saving old stuff from scrapers. 90% of the folks on here would do the same thing if they could.

24. MODELA30

MODELA30

WOW!!! THANKS PISTNBROKE I WOULD PAY $900.00 FOR A GOOD KNUCKLE FENDER BUT THAT ONE IN THAT LOT WAS JUST ALL TRASHED UP. THE PAN FRONT AND REAR WERE GOOD AND SO WAS THE TAIL BUT NOT $1,725.00 GOOD. WELL BOYS AND GIRLS ACCORDING TO THE RESULTS OUR OWN COLLECTIONS JUST WENT UP BY 75%. Knuck From Indiana

25. MODELA30

MODELA30

WELL HERE THEY GO CHECK THIS OUT ON FEEBAY ITS ALREADY STARING THE #190598109604 IS THE AUCTION NUMBER MAN REALLY YOU COULD NOT WAIT A LITTLE LONGER OR MAYBE TAKE SOME OTHER PICS SO IT WOULD NOT BE SO OBVIOUS. Knuck From Indiana.

Attached Files:

• aaaa.jpg
      aaaa.jpg
      File size:
      37.4 KB
      Views:
  26. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Jeff, where did you find the results, I can't find them.

B:confused:B

27. fuzzface

fuzzface

28. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

29. Deadbird

Deadbird

That's what I was thinking. Who gets the dough? Did he have any family? Looks like the auction company will make out pretty well, but they did market this thing pretty effectively. I'd say they earned their keep.

30. mike hamel

mike hamel

Check out his other auctions! He re-selling about 5 other model a's and t's that he bought from the auction too. Ya at least take other pictures! He used the ones straight from the auction and RM website.