Register now to get rid of these ads!

50 buick S8 Dynaflow ????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rustytoolss, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Rustytoolss

Rustytoolss

I'm looking at a 1950 buick with a 320 straight 8, and a 2 speed Dynaflow transmission. How good are these early Dynaflows ? were they good/ or OMG don't even think about it ?
    I'm not thinking of building a quick ride/ just a highwy cruiser 60-70mph.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

They are pretty durable if treated reasonably well. A bit sluggish on acceleration. The torque tube joint is prone to leak with age but there are seal kits for that. Just bear in mind this is a 60 years + tranny................

Ray

3. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Rusty,

Go to the Album Section of my Profile Page and check-out my '53 Special pix. A 263 Straight 8 with Dynaflow...whisper quite, never a problem with the tranny. You just have to respect it and not "dog" it, it cruised on the Hwy. at 60-70 with no problems.

Again, they're not hot rods. If they're set-up right, treated right, they are strong and will last a long time. And you can cruise for many, many miles...trouble-free.

Jonnie King www.legends.thewwbc.net

4. donnietudor1

donnietudor1
    from jersey ,ga

I have one sitting on my trailer that took out and tranny with tube. Ran great

5. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

WATCH out for rear seal leak in the dynaflow. Lost a rearend when transmission fluid diluted the rearend gear oil. Other than that the car would pull stumps.

6. ssimpala

ssimpala

I treated mine bad...broke several. Really nice when they're working though.

7. here is one I used to have with the 320 and dynaflow 2 speed. We put a camaro rear end cause I could not find a rear end shop to rebuild mine. The camaro rear end was poorly done up though. I only drove this car around the neighborhood. Never father than a mile from home.
    http://youtu.be/e7ZxJ9IegPI

8. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I prefer to manually shift mine. The car accellerates better and the tranny shifts nicely.

I have had dozens and have yet to discover a problem.

knock wood