Register now to get rid of these ads!

old cars in Shamrock, OK (or rather, Texas!)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vtwhead, Nov 6, 2011.

1. I was blowing down rt66 today in OK and came into Shamrock OK where I came upon this neat old Conoco gas station that has been renovated. Took a pic for all to see. A little bit down the road going east there is a yard on the left that has a bunch of Edsels and other collectibles. Nobody around today (Sunday) so I snapped some pics and went on my way.
    Anyone know the history on this town and the cars?????

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  2. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

Those cars are in Shamrock,Tx...the guy that owns them used to be one of the largest Edsel Dealers in the southwest at one time...

3. 41woodie

41woodie

Hate to tell you but you slept through the stateline, it's Shamrock, Texas and the old station is pretty cool. I'm easily amused but I also like the tilted water tower down the road a bit.

4. 49 Mercury

49 Mercury

Home town of the late Bill Mack. The Midnight Trucker. Wrote the first hit for (LeAnn Rimes) Blue , it went to No. one. MY Boy, MY Boy , My Boy.

5. slammed

slammed

Neat Deco. The Meth has consumed the natives.

6. Sorry guys, been driving too many hours in the last two days. All those borders just seem to melt together. Regardless of the state, the place was really neat.

7. storm king

storm king

hahaha! I know that story!

8. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

Easy to miss the Texas State line coming into Shamrock...there's not much fanfare...

Hope you enjoy the trip

9. nmbuellist

nmbuellist

it is a cool building--great for photos--but it is in TEXAS

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  10. vncruiser

vncruiser
    BANNED

Also featured in "Cars"

11. Neat pic with the car in front.
    You know the funny thing is that my wife told me it was in TX but what the hec does she know!! LMAO

12. RAY With

RAY With

Thanks for posting and I have already told the family that I am headed to 66 next summer come hell or hi water

13. Looks like we are going to start our Route 66 trek westward at Shamrock.
    Meet us there April 1, no foolin! ;)

14. Roothawg

Roothawg

You missed the motherlode. It was a few miles south in Wellington at Bob Owens place.

15. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

When I was there, the strong winds made that beatiful tower scream, and you missed the mother load as mentioned.

16. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

My wife and I cruised portions of route 66 en-route to Flagstaff, Az. and the Grand Canyon last October. That station in Shamrock was one of our scheduled stops. We ate lunch at a local diner/cafe across the street. We actually took the business loops and hit most of the small towns along I-40. We also hit the Wig-Wam motor court in Holbrook, Az. and we stood on the corner in Winslow, Az. Glad you made the stop. There's alot to see on old 66. Sam

17. bob t!

bob t!
    BANNED

49 Mercury pretty sure Bill Mack is alive.

18. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I've known about that stand of cars for about ten years now. Just quickly comparing my photos it looks like nothing has moved much in the last decade. If you are heading west, Jumping off the 40 and running as much of old 66 as you can will provide quite a few "rewards" for us car folk...

19. devilleish

devilleish

Shamrock is a family "joke" as my grandparents stayed there one night on their move from Columbus, OH to Los Angeles. Their story is that the town was pretty much dying even in 1963. I went through my first time in 1987 at the age of 12 and again in 1990 at 15. Route 66 is such a sight for a young gearhead - unfortunately I have never been able to do it again. Maybe I can talk my girl into a road trip in the 55 for our honeymoon.

20. Larry T

Larry T

I listened to Bill Mack's Country Roads show on WBAP, many nights driving home from Lubbock. It was one of the few stations you could pick up.

Someone said he still has a show on XM radio, but I wouldn't know. I just graduated to FM a few years ago. :)
    Larry T

21. Wayne C.

Wayne C.

I actually stayed in the motel there years back when the wife and I went to our Niece's wedding in the next town west of there. We ate at the diner hooked to the motel and on the menu they had "CHICKEN FRIED BACON". I kid you not. I joked the waitress about it and she said "Yall aint never had it?" it's gooooooooooooooood.
    Had to take her word for it.
    The Caddilacs nose first in the dirt at Groom are pretty cool too.

22. phat rat

phat rat

Here's another of the Conoco, also the Magnolia Oil which is just a couple of blocks away. Then in Az on 66 there's Hackberry General Store between Seligman and Kingman and Cool Springs between Kingman and Oatman

Attached Files:

23. Larry T

Larry T

I think the Cadillac Ranch is on the west side of Amarillo (south side of the road), kind of nit picking but it might help anyone looking for it.
    Larry T