Register now to get rid of these ads!

How well do you fit in your car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blackmaria60, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

So I just satisfied a 30-year longing for a Tri Five. We got a '55 Chevy last weekend and I still stare in confusion at it sitting in my garage. It hasn't registered yet.

Anyway, I'm 6'2 and have let stress get to me, pushing my carbon footprint to 300lbs. I would have to say I'm not exactly comfortable in this thing - esp. with the larger non-pwr steering wheel wearing a hole in my shirt! I've checked several times, making sure the seat is back AS FAR as it can go!

Is it time to get rid of those unwanted 60lbs? What do you guys do in tight spaces? It's why I won't have a Model A!

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

No question you taller, heavier guys have a harder time squeezing into interiors we shorter, lighter guys slip into like a glove. I see posts all the time where a 6'5" 300 pounder wants to build a chopped and channelled coupe. It can happen but you ain't gonna like it, especially on long trips. Even the 55 you are doing was built when people were a little smaller.

Lose the 60 pounds, it will be better for your heart too. :) ( I feel like Dear Abby there for a moment)

Don

3. mj40's

mj40's

I think you have answered your own question. You can move the seat adjusters back a couple inches with another set of holes providing your rear seat passengers don't have your problem. But Don said it first and I'm with him.

4. Rem

Rem

I have a '32 pickup, and it fits perfectly. I'm 5'4" and 150lbs :D

5. 2935ford

2935ford

My '29 Roadster is a little tight on leg room and my legs feel it on longer trips. I'm 5' 10". My '28 Tudor is a little better.

6. choppwatchagot

choppwatchagot

get a smaller steering wheels

7. jcillch

jcillch

maybe you should sue chevy for making a car too small for you to be comfortable in. then you can sue mcdonalds for making the food that fat americans love to consume making it hard for them to fit in thier cars of yesteryear. maybe you should drive your chevy to the next show at the local sonic burger and sell it to another somebody that needs a car of yesteryear. Or better yet take the steps to lose the extra 100 lbs you are carrying and enjoy your car for many more years. Alot of fat chicks buy a pair of jeans to hang in thier closet that are too small. They keep them in the front of the closet and set a diet and fittness goal to fit in to them. They are "goal pants". Some day they may or may not fit them but ther will always strive to get thier fat asses in to them. Park the chevy at the front of the garage as a goal to lose the xtra baggage and start walking around the block. I know I can sound like a ass but come on. you can get it into gear. the last thing the hotrod scene needs is to lose another good person due to fatass related health issues. I hope you take no offence to this reply, I mean you no ill will. I hope you can do what in takes to be healthy. Now but the beer and burger down..... or go sue chevy.

8. leave it to an FNG to pick on us old guys that have "grown" with the hobby and have trouble getting into our cars.
    mocking up my interior, have no idea how I'll get in and out

9. Well I'm 5'10" and 220lbs, and my t-bucket is pretty tight on the steering wheel to the knee. I'm enjoying a beer and just cooked out on the grill, my gut is not the problem in my case.

10. 01A

01A

you could swap out for a tilt column....I have the same problem, the furniture disease, my chest has fell into my drawers..

11. THECRUSTYRAT

THECRUSTYRAT

My coupe is chopped 7inches and not channeled. I dont have any hair so that helped me in the height. My front windshield is a mailbox slot, so im going to go to dollar store and buy me some bifokles so everything is closer to me. Its all about improviseing, You wanted the car and now its up to you. Trust us we all have made sacrifices to get to our dream. Just take it a day at a time. Move the seat back, the driver is the only one in the car that needs to be comfortiable:D.

12. 50'custom

50'custom

As of now I am building a 1946 Ford truck.The truck is chopped 4" with no channel,it is running the 3rd row seat out of a 89 full size chevy suburban with 3" risers and a 14" grant steering wheel on a factory style column. I am 6'1 and about 235lbs. size 11 boot,I am running a 5-speed so I have 3 pedals,And I fit Great in it. I also fit decent in my all original '50 ford.

13. I fit my 1950 chrysler real well. Its seats are all broke down in the same places I am! But, to be real for a second, its not the easy answer but lose the extra weight. I hate reading funeral related threads here and we all want to enjoy our (and you yours!)cars as as long as possible!

14. BadbeatFactory

BadbeatFactory

"Goal Pants" ??? "Fat-Ass related issues" ??

One thing is true...you are smooth.

15. And whoever said "size doesn't matter"?
    Seriously though, I am 6'6", and weigh 275 lbs, I have had a lot of old cars (some more comfortable than others). I figured I wasn't about to have myself "chopped", so I deal with it. Sounds like you need to swap the stg column for a tilt, and go with a smaller stg whl.

16. 56 Frame Dragger

56 Frame Dragger

I put a 57 front seat in my 56 the 55 & 56 seats are just to padded I don't care for the look of them

17. Deuces

Deuces

I have no problems getting in my '05 Ford convertible...... Reaching for the safety belt is another story.. :rolleyes:

18. n847

n847

I'm 6'1" and was at 280 when my dad had his 56, with stock steering column and a 13" steering wheel it was no problem, however that was a smaller sttering wheel, you can buy a stock appearing undersized steering wheel for tri-5's. It also helped to put a stop light viewer on the dash because you will not be able to see stop lights! Other than that my advise is use the atkins diet...I lost 78 lbs on it in 4 months last year! Good luck and enjoy your tri-5!

19. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Get rid of the weight,its the best thing you can do. When I was turning 60 ( two years ago) I realized that other than being overweight, I was in good health, but I was on the edge. I made up my mind to take off the weight and lost 70 pounds..went from 267 to 197. Just do it man its great !

20. Deuces

Deuces

I was at 276 once and then lost 100 lbs... Since I've been out of work, I put 25 of it back on.. :(

21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I fit in my T Bucket and I'm 6'3", 170 lbs. Most of my height is in my legs. I'm very flexible... always have been. I've had people say it looks uncomfortable, but they're usually big gutted, so I just laugh.

My advise would be get a smaller wheel & tilt column, PLUS lose the weight. I've seen some HUGE guys trying to drive a car that's too small and I don't care how nice the car is, they just look stupid.

22. TooManyFords

TooManyFords
    from Peotone IL

At 6 2 350 First thing I did was a smaller wheel. Then I had the seats rebuilt with new foam and it came up 2 inches. I have to fold in half to get in but other then my hair brushing the head liner it fits great. Every one who gets in the passenger side cant believe how low the top is. It is a stock height 64 Galaxie hardtop.

23. grichards790

grichards790

I am 6'2" and weigh about 230. My A Coupe is chopped 3 and channeled 3, pretty tight fit but I dont complain as it is what I have always wanted. Gets a bit cramped on long trips and it looks like a monkey f*&k@#g a football when I get in and out.

Shed some pounds, live longer to enjoy the ride!

24. John T.

John T.

Like a glove!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Cerberus

Cerberus

I'm 6'4" 200 lbs. On my '56 Del Ray I went with a 14" period correct steering wheel and ps. On my '68 Camaro I installed IROC ps, 14" steering wheel, and Fiero GT bucket seats. Fit nicely in both of them.

Attached Files:

26. chop32

chop32

My '32 fits me like a glove...I fold myself in and unfold myself back out!
    The truck was first started 1977 when I was 16...5"10, 135 lbs..young and flexible...
    When I finally got it on the road in 1996 I was about 210 and could drive it 120 semi-comfortable miles before having to bail out.
    At 225 I can now only drive it about 40 miles max.
    Ive weighed as much as 250 and at that weight I could barely drive it accross town...
    Most of the taller people with '55-'57 Chevys that I know have went to a smaller wheel, moved the seat back a couple inches, or both.

Attached Files:

• 32.3.jpg
      32.3.jpg
      File size:
      523.2 KB
      Views:
  27. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

Just move the seat back a couple inches and weld the original holes in. Also as said before unless you really want that big steering wheel in there, just downsize it. Good luck

28. hotrod_32

hotrod_32

My Coupe's a perfect fit for me,can drive all day in comfort. 5'10'' 185 lbs

29. derbydad276

derbydad276

I shop at the sears big and tall department too
    that is why I didnt buy the (shay ) roadster and bought the mid 60's ford pick up