Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where have all the 4 speeds gone?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tray502, Nov 6, 2011.

1. tray502

tray502
    from washington

I just picked up a 31 ford all steel full fendered car. It has a C4 auto in it now, but will soon be leaving the planet and a top loader taking its place. As I look through the HAMB at all the cool hot rods its automatic after automatic.
    I think hot rods were meant to have a clutch and a 4 or 5 speed!!!!

If you have one I would sure love to see some pics and info on your set up.

If I cant shift it, I'll just leave it in the garage!!!!!

2. scootrz1

scootrz1
    from usa

just finished 1931 model a roadster Big block Mopar with a 4 speed having trouble postin picture will try later

3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

My avatar has sported a Tremac TKO600 for about 8 years now... I'm with you on this one, Just don't ask me to live without an overdrive!

4. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

Narrow early footwells get crowded with that third pedal, but when you do see it, it's more often a T5 than a four speed.

-KK

5. 29sportcoupe

29sportcoupe
    from arizona

Just pulled the C4 out of my car last month. Installed a S10 T5 5 speed last night. Used a hydraulic clutch set up due to limited space. Not a lot of space under the dash but I made my own pedal assembly, as you can see I am still mocking up my gas pedal, still need to bend the pedal to fit but it all fits and works fantastic so far. I also moved my slave to the passenger side to actuate the clutch fork, saves room on the drivers side. I am using frame mounted pedals/masters. A lot of info on here, the search engine is your best friend. What motor you running?

Welcome to the Hamb!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  6. The Shocker

The Shocker

I think alot of it comes down to a matter of economics with a 4 spd vrs an auto trans.I used to be a 4spd freak and have had several in hotrods i have owned but i realised that a well built auto trans will hold up better than stick set up dollar for dollar on a dragstrip not to mention the consistancy factor in bracket racing .I do still enjoy driving a 4 spd in a street rod though ...

7. VonKool13

VonKool13

Wheres your intro newb? I think Hot Rods are meant to be built not bought!

8. Haha. Boom. But all b.s. aside, I am a 4 speed freak too. The costs of buying, rebuilding and engineering a 4 speed into a car is more difficult than an auto IMHO. In this economy its not as easy as it once was to stumble upon a good 4 speed for cheap. But auto trans are everywhere for cheap, and will take quite a bit of abuse.

Just my 2 cents

Hack

9. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

With the auto i can play with the ole ladies (.)(.)
    "AND THE BOWTIE ROLLS ON"

10. tray502

tray502
    from washington

Haha VonCool, Funny but I never said the car was done. Its a rolling project car.
    However the 302 and C4 are installed. The 302 is coming back out for a different cam and some tri power with stromburgs. Have the top loader and bellhousing but looking for some ideas for pedals. Top is getting a 3-1/2in chop.

11. 29sportcoupe

29sportcoupe
    from arizona

pretty sure it does not exist unless you have pics to show us!

And I could not find your intro so I am not even sure you exist...

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why have 3 or 4, when you can have 5 or 6 just as easily? More gears equals better drivability. No choosing overall ratios for power or economy, you can have both.

13. VonKool13

VonKool13

WOOP! And I want to see this tri-power set up for your 302. That is a damn rare animal right there.

14. All the four speeds are on craigslist with expensive price tags.

Sam

15. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Still using my B/W T-10 4 spd. since 1968, & 300,000 miles now.----Don

Attached Files:

16. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

As I get older, I get lazier. I have a pickup with a 5 speed that I still drive but I like the automatic better. My left knee is bad and I could never work the Hayes clutch that I had in my 57 back in the day. I destroyed several 4 speeds.

17. OldCrow

OldCrow

Depending on where your steering column ends up, the pedals can get a bit tight, but certainly acceptable. this is my 31, which got a Pinto 2.0/auto drivetrain back in the 80s, complete with Pinto column (not the smallest setup in the world). when I put the Buick and stick in it I used all Wilwood pedal and hyd components. it drives very nice. mater a fact my wife even drives it on occasion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BTW. I purchased a complete 215 Buick with it's T-10 for this project about 2 years ago for $450.oo it had been in a Vega which was wreaked. bolted the setup in my model A and drove it.

Russ

18. JimSwann

JimSwann

I just sold a 4 speed toploader and nearly financed a 5 speed M5R2 swap in my 35. Very pleased with the 5 speed.

19. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

<<<<< My first car ever was a pedal car. To this day, I still have a pedal car. The only differance that I still can't figure out is. Why do the the tires spin faster when I mash the right pedal. That use to stop them in my first car. :confused::D

20. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

hahahah

21. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

my avatar has a 4 speed toploader behind a cad 365. it runs through a crager adapter and wilcap flywheel. works great, but i'm looking at trading up to a 5 speed for highway drivability and fuel milage.

22. I've got one of each. My 41' Ford convertible runs a 55' Olds with a Ford toploader four speed but for drag racing my 34' ford runs a turbo 350 w/ 371" Olds power. A man has to know his limitations.

23. whiskerz

whiskerz
    from Ga.

every car i own has 3 pedals. I am not cripple yet

24. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

< --- 3 spd column with an overdrive.... I call it a 4 spd big block car ha ha.

25. I put a cast iron A833 O/D in my 31 Pontiac coupe. Made an adapter to fit an old Desoto bellhousing which bolts up to my 354 Chrysler. Still trying to break it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. jammersspeed

jammersspeed
    from herman mn.

have a 4spd in my '61

27. scootrz1

scootrz1
    from usa

1931 roadster big block 4 speed

Attached Files:

28. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

I just bought a Muncie 4-speed and a bellhousing for my coupe. It's got a turbo 350 now. Still researching the rest of the parts I need...Pedals (swing or under floor) clutch kit, flywheel, shifter etc. While it's all apart I think I'm gonna do the front end (dropped axle w/ hair pins) and steering column. But it's a lot of coin to spend !!!

29. Not necessarily Sam. I've been tinkering with these A833's for a while. Within this last year I've bought two of them, one for $100 and the second for $125 since it had the chrome hurst shifter handle. Yeah, they both came with linkage, Hurst Plus shifter, and shifter arm.

Haven't seen you around for a while Sam. Stayin' out of trouble?

30. striper

striper

Muncie 4 speed here.

I can see why guys use autos. The clutch was my single biggest headache when I was building my car. Problems with an aftermarket flywheel are the reason it is currently spread all over my shed floor. I can't drive it wearing boots...have to wear Converse so I don't push 2 pedals at once.

Would I swap it for an automatic? No way!

[​IMG]

Pete