Register now to get rid of these ads!

Should I sell my '40?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by toolz1175, Nov 5, 2011.

1. A Rodder

A Rodder

The fact that you are considering it tells me that you are not totally in love with it as much as you thought you would be. Is it this is exact car that you are not in love with, or is it the 40 in general. I always wanted a 58 chevy, once I got it, it was a delray, the interior was so dang blah, that I sold it really quick. If this particular car is not the right 40 then sell it. Even if you pay 20 for one that is further along and in a better state for what you want, you will only be into it for 10K. Just a thought. The only regret you would have is if you sold it for what you paid for it, if you sell it for what its worth, you can pay fair price for another, and all being said you will be in it "right"

2. You've got to keep it. No brainer, no regrets.
    You'll never find a better deal and the car is clean.
    It's a car most guys would love to have and many would sell body parts for...
    Human body parts.
    Their own...
    Most likely an eye ball or a kidney 'cause once you give up an arm or a leg, you can't shift as well and turning, while shifting? Fu'ge-da-bou-dit!

3. 1950 mercury

1950 mercury

Keep it you have been wanting one for 30 years.

4. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

Find another one first THEN sell it to him for more, always moving forwards. I also have wanted a '40 & I've settled for a rough pick up, now a neighbor wants it, it took all my will power to turn the deal down, but as said before once it's gone and the missus gets a sniff of the cash......
    Tell him there's a couple of '40's on Racing Junk go buy one of them.

Scotty

5. speedyg948

speedyg948

lets see ..you waited 30 years, paid 4 grand for clean rust free car. its kinda a no brainer..keep it!...it will probably take another 30 years to find a deal like that and by then you'll be too old to enjoy it!

6. farmer12

farmer12

keep keep keep.

7. dlotraf

dlotraf

40 coupe is my second favorite car. 30 years ago I found one. Ex drag car, badly butchered, except for trunk lid which was perfect. I did not have the money to build it and so finally sold it. I have regreted it for 30 years. Unless you are broke and really need that new kidney, I'd keep it. You will regret selling it. If you don't...... well then you really didn't want a 40 after all............... JMO.

8. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

i would keep it if you have done nothing to it in 12 months then re think and call the cousin but for petes sake its a 40 coupe why would you want to sell it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! one day i will get one, but over here 40 coupes a rare but when one comes up it going to be purchased and never sold

9. outlaw256

outlaw256

lets see you paid 4000. for it.say you put 15,000. in it. well now you have a done 40 for 19.000.i dont see you buying one even near that.keep it. ive sold a 55 chevy that i cannot replace anymore.and ive been sick about it since the day it left the driveway.

10. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

A deal of the century, I wouldn't sell the coupe, a sedan is another story as there are plenty of them around, but a coupe in that shape is almost unheard of at that price. Believe me you will enjoy the coupe a ton more than all that money in your pocket while searching another 30 years for a forty. Get out there and start cleaning the car up and you will be happier than a lark. good luck

11. 55chevr

55chevr

you never find another one like it ...

12. 351cmach

351cmach
    from Ma

Sell it and buy mine :D

13. otas

otas

Like most have said, keep the car. I am a forty lover for sure. Had several. Lots of sedans, built 2 converts and sold a really nice coupe, back to the original family that built it. It was a good day to see the son of the builder get it back but that has been 6 or 7 years ago and I finally found a builder coupe here on the hamb about a year ago. Nice west coast rust free car. Paid about twice what you paid for yours but I have learned my lesson. Coupes not for sale. Way too hard to find. Hopefully will start on it first of next year.

14. You bought the car of your dreams for a Hell of a good deal. Along comes an outside influence that wants you to make concessions to fulfill his dream. If a relative of mine, had my "car of my dreams", I would have kept tabs on it, and not let it get away. This would not even be a consideration for me, keep the car.

15. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

If you could take the 15 grand and buy one already sorted out to your liking then yes. If you want to BUILD ONE then no.

16. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

You will likely NEVER find another coupe in that condition for anything close to that price. Keep it...

17. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

keep it. if it's something you've always wanted and will make you happy, dont get rid of it. plus, you got a great deal

18. What do ya like more the car or the money? Unless you're hard up you better hang on to that '40!

19. Since you were contemplating about selling it, you better change your phone number and maybe your address, because that cousin and a million others (including me) will be bugging you to sell.

20. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Ive got a 32 ford truck like that,My next project ,If I got offered 10 grand ,I wouldn't sell it,

21. timbo

timbo
    from PA

Just contemplating the sale of it says that you want money more than the car. Get as much out of it and dump it..... move on to the next "have to have".

22. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

If I wanted something that long it would go with me to my grave once I found it!

23. well my first instint is to keep it. but is "Grandmas" car? has it been in their family for a while? if yes then i would sell it to the cousin and find another. or rather find another in a condition you want then sell it to the cousin. we have had some family sell things out from under us without telling us they were going to. we gladly would have bought them but... it creates bad blood and if there is an attachment of sorts to the car you just might makes someones day.

24. 01A

01A

Just my opinion: keep it, you might find another one, you might not. There are some around, but, based on your description, this sounds like a good one and you are getting in relatively cheap. You will probably pay a lot more for a replacement. Again as previously suggested go with you gut. I built my coupe from a bare frame and parts.

25. 2loud2old

2loud2old

Don't sell. Too hard to find a replacement later!

26. blt2go

blt2go

as said earlier, make the cousin find a suitable replacement and trade. i can understand sentimental values and if he truely wants it he will bust his hump to find you the car you deserve as replacement. if he is just trying to get your good deal back to profit he will back down. as you know finding a car like that is getting super difficult. good luck and start your dream.

27. 47chevycoupe

47chevycoupe
    from Finland

1) Do you need the money?

2) What does your wife - family think?

3) Get it going and enjoy it, life's too short.

4) Tell the cousin that he gets first chance when you sell.

28. FOURTYDLX

FOURTYDLX

That car in calif. would bring 20.000.

29. I'm thinking like that too.
    Don't sell it back or for profit. If THAT particular car means that much to the cousin, he and his family will do their best to find you an equal car. In the mean time, get it running. Fix up the interior. They know where it is, and it isn't going anywhere.

30. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Same feeling here.